It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Caffeine May Slow Alzheimer's Disease and Other Dementias, Restore Cognitive Function

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Although caffeine is the most widely consumed psychoactive drug worldwide, its potential beneficial effect for maintenance of proper brain functioning has only recently begun to be adequately appreciated. Substantial evidence from epidemiological studies and fundamental research in animal models suggests that caffeine may be protective against the cognitive decline seen in dementia and Alzheimer's disease (AD). A special supplement to the Journal of Alzheimer's Disease, "Therapeutic Opportunities for Caffeine in Alzheimer's Disease and Other Neurodegenerative Diseases," sheds new light on this topic and presents key findings.
www.sciencedaily.com...

I drink allot of coffee.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Sweet, another reason to keep my addiction up, ehehe.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 04:43 PM
link   
I wonder how much caffeine was consumed by the scientists and researchers doing the studies?

*Keep in mind*

It is estimated that in North America between 80 and 90 percent of adults and children habitually consume caffeine. (1)

If true, stands to reason that in most cases, studies will find plenty of benefit to caffeine consumption... we are all on it! Having said that, I'm down to 2 cups of coffee a day, finally. Woot!

I note that the study does not recommend an amount of caffeine that would elicit such beneficial results as they are suggesting... I suspect it would be rather difficult to recommend any amounts as it would be individual.

[edit on 17-5-2010 by LadySkadi]

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 05:05 PM
link   
So your chances of getting Alzheimer decreases while your risk of getting cancer Increases.

How amusing is that?

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Thank goodness! I just read that Hugo Chavez drink about 35 cups a day! He should be safe.

I have read similar studies the last few months that agree with this article. But it seems that coffee is the most studied and mis understood drug on the planet. Every month something new comes out.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 06:54 PM
link   
aa my favert thing in the world is also good for me now i always know that why coffee is the cure for darn near every aliment.
got a cold and run down dont feel like moving forget aspirin they get ride of headaches ok but leave behind the tiredness a cup of java will get ride of the acks and in 20 mints you will be ready and energized for work.
aaa yes java the drink of kings.
wife cranky be aferdesack on the planet give the girl a cup of java put in purtty woman act out a couple parts and be drink some java your self youl need it.
always know it was good for you aaa now on to my cup of java heres to you

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 12:51 PM
link   
I'm sure it is more of being able to have a wider metabolism and ability to balance it that is healthier rather than the caffeine itself. There are other organics that can do the same if not more healthier than caffeine.

Caffeine is cheap.

top topics

join