It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's YOUR favorite sense?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 06:47 PM
link   
The sixth sense.

The mind.

[edit on 18-5-2010 by SpectreDC]

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Nice topic

Haven't really thought of it because i like 'em all.

Smelling because the scent of a perfume, girl, food, basement (fungus i think) and forest that just has that nice smell to it of earth can make your life just a little happier .

Seeing because there is so many beautiful things in this world like lightnings, humans, bunnies, stars and pictures of our world can make you cry of sorrow or happiness.

Taste because there is just so much food that truly make you feel like heaven is here.

Feeling because there is just touches that can make you feel immortal and mortal as well. The kiss of a person you love is enough to make heart burst

And then the hearing; the sound of waves hitting stones and when the waves is breaking are amazing! And when its raining on a roof, window, plastic or just a tree. It can make me shiver just thinking about the sound.
music is also a nice feature of the hearing.

I cant really decide but hearing, feeling and seeing are some of my favorite

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 05:05 AM
link   
my favorite sense would be the self sense.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 08:09 AM
link   
reply to post by ParaZep

We have only one sense that matters. It is touch.

The most sensitive areas of your body are your hands, lips, face, neck, tongue, fingertips and feet.

www.oppapers.com...
www.dana.org...
www.lycos.com...

Arguably, touch is the most important of all the senses; without it animals would not be able to recognize pain (such as scalding water), which would greatly decrease their chances for survival. Research has ... shown that touch has tremendous psychological ramifications in areas like child development, persuasion, healing, and reducing anxiety and tension.

Numerous studies have shown that touch ... has a healing power. Researchers have found that touch reduces rapid heart beats and irregular heart beats (arrhythmia's). Another study showed that baby rats who are touched often during infancy develop more receptors to control the production of biochemicals called glucocorticoids, which are known as stress chemicals because of their ability to cause muscle shrinkage, high blood pressure, elevated cholesterol, and more.

My favorite sense has to be sight, but even sight is superfluous. Everything we see, hear, smell and taste must be translated into how it makes you FEEL.

The mind is only a "vehicle" used to read, register and translate the senses.
The 6th sense is extra- sensory perception which would be an understanding which takes place independent of, beyond or outside the bounds of the other 5 senses.

[edit on 19-5-2010 by rusethorcain]

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 09:06 AM
link   
This is interesting and may change your opinion of what you feel is your most important sense. May change your opinion of everything really...

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Sight is my favorite because I would not want to be without it. I do like smelling because the scent of so many things gives me such wonderful memories. The same goes for sound, there are certain songs that just take me to a different place and time. My hearing is insanely good, I hear things most don't. I wish my vision was this good.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver
I do like smelling because the scent of so many things gives me such wonderful memories.

my goodness I want to make a joke so badly right now....I miss you MB...-tear-

Anywho I gotta admit though I made my choice and hearing is important to me this is a REALLY tough question with some interesting implications. Perhaps I am not as much a visually-based person as I once thought

-Kyo

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Sense of humor.
Without it I'd be in trouble.
Big trouble.

All kidding aside - I lost sight in my right eye this last month.
I was TERRIFIED.
Even having one good eye - I was in hell.

My sense of humor got me through it - I loved having an honest reason to wear a pirate patch. (I LOVE PIRATES)...

That and if I didn't regain my sight I could get a glass eye like my hero Colombo...
(I LOVE COLOMBO)...

But I thank God every say I have my eye back...

peace

[edit on 19-5-2010 by silo13]

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Touch. There is nothing better than lying in bed holding your significant other.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Touch. And unlike just about everyone else here, I have no significant other.
Plenty of insignificant others, though.

Jokes aside, One can be trained to 'hear' through touch. Not altogether too well mind you, and only if the volumes loud. Have you ever 'heard' a thumping bass vibrate your body?

People who are completely deaf, can actually tell you what note is being played. They say that different parts of the body correlate to different notes.
I heard it on a documentary about a condition called 'amusea' or hating music; rather, hearing music as just noise.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by ParaZep
Out of the big 5, what's your favorite sense and how far can you push it? Eg., can you smell smells that other people can't? Can you hear frequencies that no-one else can? (etc etc)

My favorite sense is sight. I can read with that sight, but I know if I couldn't see it with my own eyes, I would depend on my ears to be able to hear it. My sight isn't perfect, far from it. I'm very near-sighted, and with or without glasses, I've learned to depend upon my hearing. I would be lost without both. Totally lost, so it would be a toss-up. I need glasses to see, but I prefer to read with my own eyes. However, in a classroom situation, my ears pick up what my eyes don't.

also, out of interest, what are your top 3 sensations/expiriences from your fav sense. Mine is smell, and I love the smell of lightening, rain, and earthy scents. What about you?

My top perceptions have to do with my hearing. Easily. Smell is my favorite perception. I love the smell of vaniilla, chocolate chip cookies, the rain on freshly-mowed grass, lilacs, roses, amongst other smells. But it is always sound that tops my perceptions. I hear my son's name, my name, or my husband's name, those are the top 3 perceptions. My ears perk up. I can even be half-way asleep, my ears totally perk up. They do. That's either 1) how keen my sense of hearing is, or 2) how adapted I am on my sense of hearing given my poor eyesight. I think it's a combination of both.

SpeedBump

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Smell, Hearing, Seeing, Touching, Tasting.
it is practically impossible for me to have a favourite.
Smell is connected to memories.
hearing a piece of classical music which stirs up emotion.
seeing the zen gardens of japan,
diving in the ocean and touching a dolphin,
and tasting a perfectly bbq'd steak.
i couldnt possibly choose a favourite without feeling like im missing on something equally wonderful

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   
My favorite sense without a doubt is hearing. Which is to listening.

1. I listen to my thoughts - they have sound even in silence.
2. I love music. It understands me better than probably anyone I know.
3. every subtle sounds can create intense emotions, unlike sight or touch which can fool. hearing is hardly confusing unless you add touch or sight.

I don't even consider touch one of our senses. It is. but think about it, without touch you would be numb, just a blob. I would feel lifeless to be honest.

So i would take hearing first then sight then smell then taste.
I love the taste of food, but i don't eat throughout the day

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 04:20 AM
link   
Good post - makes people stop and think for a while.

Luv the answers like 'common sense' and 'sense of humour'!

For me, it is hearing. Being an audiophile and having a dedicated listening room in the house, I experience emotions and mental states while listening to music I can not begin to explain.
The sound of silence, of birds at first light (especially when deep in the bush somewhere), storms, the ocean etc all bring great joy.
Yes, sight would be a killer if you lost it.
And smell is the one most closely connected to the brain and so can evoke the strongest emotions.

Cheers

<< 1   >>

join