It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan may pick robots over immigrants

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by vox2442

Originally posted by Arbitrageur

I'll be the first person to admit I don't know what's really going on in the minds of conservative older Japanese people.

But what did you expect them to ask you? "When the hell are you going to get out of our country so you don't pollute our bloodline with your foreign genes?" Even if that's what they were thinking (and I'm not saying they are) they wouldn't say that to your face, would they?

From what you suggest in your previous post, yes, that's exactly what I should expect them to say.

Then let me clarify my earlier post. Even if that's what they're thinking, they're too polite to say it to your face. So that's why I admit I'm not sure exactly what they're thinking.

Anyway i like their robots, I look forward to the day I can get my own robot. But I don't look forward to the day the robots realize humans are a biological infestation and decide to eliminate us for the good of the planet.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

Arbitrageur
thanks for your posting

And if you are concerned about fending off a take over by the robots hear is something you might like to watch.

Google Video Link

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 08:53 PM
link   
www.youtube.com...#!v=_MKyBBiKlQg&playnext_from=TL&videos=eF9DEKsaa98

Well robots are free after abit of spending, to manufacturing. It is just inevitable. Us humans have to figure out a differant way of surviveing cause cash from working where we human can is just going to to obsolete...

Instead maybe something that has to do with music like this link I posted.!!!

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by RedGolem

Arbitrageur
thanks for your posting

And if you are concerned about fending off a take over by the robots hear is something you might like to watch.

Thanks for the video. I must say it's extremely awful though.

I didn't say I was concerned personally about fending off a robot takeover, which is what he's addressing with his current day and time context.

I'm not. I'm worried about it for our descendants. And after watching that video and seeing how clueless a robotics PhD is, I'm even more worried.

I agree with him there's no technology today that will result in what we see in Hollywood films.

But the people who need to be reassuring us it won't happen aren't guys like him who design robotic houses to monitor the elderly. The people who need to re-assure us are those familiar with the current and future state of affairs in AI (Artificial intelligence).

I've watched chainsaw massacre movies and any kind of horror movie you can imagine, though I don't really like them or watch them anymore. But by far the scariest movie I ever saw was "I, Robot". Not that I'm scared anything will ever happen to me, I'm not. But, I can envision where the development of AI is taking us in the future which "Dr. Let's make a joke about it" doesn't even seem to address or show any awareness of in the first 15 minutes which was all I could stand to watch. It's future humanity I'm worried about, not myself. I'll be dead by the time the robot uprising occurs, if and when it ever does.

And at the very least we'll have a few AI robots going berserk. We already see our computers go berserk every once in a while, right? and they don't even have AI yet. So put the computer in a robot body, give it AI and most of them will be fine but I guarantee some will go berserk.

And anyone who isn't concerned about where AI could lead, should be. It's not fear mongering, and it's nothing we should lose any sleep over the possibility of happening in our lifetimes. But at some point, it could happen. Where will the ultimate evolution of artificial intelligence lead to? At what point in the history of evolution of natural biological species did self-awareness first arise? Are chimps self-aware? dogs? Humans are, so at some point, self-awareness evolved. And I see no reason it can't happen with artificial intelligence like it did with natural intelligence. Why won't it also happen with the evolution of artificial intelligence?

www.cs.washington.edu...

The Future

AI began as an attempt to answer some of the most fundamental questions about human existence by understanding the nature of intelligence, but it has grown into a scientific and technological field affecting many aspects of commerce and society.

Even as AI technology becomes integrated into the fabric of everyday life, AI researchers remain focused on the grand challenges of automating intelligence. Work is progressing on developing systems that converse in natural language, that perceive and respond to their surroundings, and that encode and provide useful access to all of human knowledge and expertise. The pursuit of the ultimate goals of AI -- the design of intelligent artifacts; understanding of human intelligence; abstract understanding of intelligence (possibly superhuman) -- continues to have practical consequences in the form of new industries, enhanced functionality for existing systems, increased productivity in general, and improvements in the quality of life. But the ultimate promises of AI are still decades away, and the necessary advances in knowledge and technology will require a sustained fundamental research effort.

I agree with him that major advances are decades away. But that's the direction we're headed in. This author looks a little further:

mol-eng.com...

Beyond AI
Supplementary Info and Web Resources

I've been studying AI since the 1970s. After working in the field for a quarter of a century, I became interested in the question of whether, if we really did manage to succeed, but built a machine that only thought in a goal-directed, rational way, wouldn't we have just succeeded in building a (possibly superhuman) psychopath? -- and would this really be such a smart thing to do?

This book is the result of my investigations. It is first and foremost an attempt to give you, the reader, a solid foundation for understanding AI in the first place -- how far it has come, what it can do, how likely it is to produce the kind of super-intelligent robot minds we might reasonably worry about. Then I talk about what what we actually know about human consciences and the brand-new AI subfield of machine ethics. And finally I take my best shot as predicting what AI will mean for the human condition over the coming decades.

In fact, as I did the research and a lot of thinking in the course of writing the book, I came away with a different understanding of the question than I had started with, a somewhat more optimistic one.

I wanted to write a slightly more technical book, and my editor at Prometheus wanted a somewhat more popular book. The result is a book which is accessible but challenging to the intelligent general reader. It couldn't be aimed at experts -- there are no experts in the field yet, really, and the book covers too much ground, from cybernetics to moral philosophy.

David Brin wrote:The issue is not whether we will make new creatures who are smarter than we are. Humans have done that for ages. BEYOND AI explores whether our new cybernetic offspring can be taught loyalty and goodness, the way other children have been. When it comes to machine intelligence, J. Storrs Hall asks: "Are we smart enough to be good ancestors?"

Maybe if we have guys like this author thinking about how we can avoid the robot uprising, instead of the other guy making jokes about it, we can actually prevent it from happening.

[edit on 27-5-2010 by Arbitrageur]

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 04:44 AM
link   

Arbitrageur
thanks for the information in your post, star.
And ok I can see better what your talking about. I don't share the same level of concern that you do right now. I can relate it to some movies or books. I robot comes to mind, like you mentioned. Although I was also pondering not so much robots, but what if the internet became self aware?

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 05:51 AM
link   
reply to post by RedGolem

Yes that's possible. AI is essentially software. It needs hardware to run, but like any software it could be adapted to run on various types of hardware. If there's a CPU and memory, AI can exist. It would still have to develop self awareness, but I don't see why not.

Right now the internet has the intelligence of a virus. Not too bright.
But there are over a million "zombie" PCs that have been taken over by viruses, and in some cases people don't even know it. These zombie PCs are executing the commands of their masters like little robots, without the knowledge or consent of the owners of the PC. That's a little spooky already.

The Zombie PC is executing code like a robot does, but instead of automated caring for sick patients like the robot nurse, it's automated password stealing and other criminal activity.

Haunting Thought: Is Your PC a Zombie?

In The Night of the Living Dead, zombies sucked brain matter in a frenzied hunger. In the computer world, a Trojan can be used to turn your PC into its own computing matter - turning it into a zombie machine. Once under the control of such an illicit program, the Trojan can be accessed by attackers intent on any number of ominous deeds.

These botnets are then used for a variety of criminal purposes – all of which pose serious risk to the infected user as well as the entire Internet community. And while some may not care about the risk to the Internet as a whole, remember that many of today’s threats include keylogging capabilities. Of special interest to the attackers are any personal financial details – which are then used for everything from credit card theft to outright identity theft. In short, it’s not just your computer at risk – it’s your wallet.

While it may be tempting to think it cannot happen to you, think again. Malicious code has evolved far beyond the childish pranks of yesteryear. Today's attackers are serious criminals, in it for the money, and they need as many systems under their control as they can get.

Do you want to put 20,000 of other people's PCs to work for you? All you need is $2000:

www.usatoday.com...

They are like 20,000 little robots doing what you command them to do, even if it's illegal. Fortunately there's only so much a PC can do right now because it can't get up and walk around. But as we enter the robot age, what we will have are computers that can get up and walk around. If those are zombies doing someone elses bidding...well, that may not be so good, and definitely more of a threat than the stationary zombie PC robots we have today.

I see the zombie robot PCs as the precursor to the scenario in I, Robot. The biggest difference is, the PCs in "I, Robot" can walk around and ours can't. But since we're now seeing the first robots that can walk around like ASIMO, well, can you see where this is going?

[edit on 28-5-2010 by Arbitrageur]

top topics

<< 1   >>

join