It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Now Independent Thinkers are Considered Diseased by Psychiatry

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 04:01 PM
link   
I used to take 1984 and Brave New World for granted but the more I know, wow somebody was trying to tell us something.

www.naturalnews.com...

TextNaturalNews) Psychiatrists have been working on the fourth revision of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM) and, in it, they hope to add a whole slew of new psychiatric disorders. Unfortunately, many of these disorders are merely differences in personality and behavior among people.

The new edition may include "disorders" like "oppositional defiant disorder", which includes people who have a pattern of "negativistic, defiant, disobedient and hostile behavior toward authority figures." Some of the "symptoms" of this disorder including losing one's temper, annoying people and being "touchy".

Other "disorders" being considered include personality flaws like antisocial behavior, arrogance, cynicism or narcissism. There are even categories for people who binge eat and children who have temper tantrums.

Children are already over-diagnosed for allegedly being bipolar or having attention-deficit disorder (ADD), which results in their being prescribed dangerous antipsychotic drugs. To categorize even more childhood behaviors as psychiatric disorders will only further increase the number of children who will be needlessly prescribed antipsychotic drugs.

Each new revision of DSM has included controversial new additions, and this newest version is no exception. In fact, the manual has increased considerably in size over the years. What is most disturbing about the current proposed revisions is the blatantly brave, new way in which so-called medical professionals are viewing individual characteristics.

Children who exhibit unique eccentricities in accordance with their unique personalities, in general, would be categorized as having a mental illness. If this criteria had been used in past centuries to diagnose illness, there may have never been people like Mozart or Einstein who ventured outside the norm and came up with new or unique ideas.

A Washington Post article captured the essence of this concept perfectly in the following quote:

"If seven-year-old Mozart tried composing his concertos today, he might be diagnosed with attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder and medicated into barren normality."

The perception that character differences are somehow a psychic illnesses not only absolves individuals of personal responsibility, but it takes away their unique personhood. It reduces people into subjects that cannot think for themselves, but rather have to be controlled through drugs.

Which brings us to perhaps the biggest thrust behind the DSM revisions: the drug companies. Pharmaceutical companies stand to gain a lot for having virtually every person categorized as mentally ill and in need of drugs.

A more accurate approach to the situation is to assess the psychiatrists and drug lords who are contriving such nonsense as being the true possessors of mental illness. Perhaps these people are the ones that need to be institutionalized.

Sources for this story include:

www.washingtonpost.com...

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Great find! Its been the opinion of the Psychiatric field for decades to diagnose and medicate. People aren't even individuals to them anymore, they're simply cases organized into neat little categories. I know from personal experience that having independent thought as a child puts you directly on the psychoanalysts radar. They barrage you with IQ tests, Psych tests, and medications in an attempt to keep you under control and within their perimeters of 'accepted norm'. Sadly this suffocates what we could have been, dulling our creativity and vision, and tends to lead to more 'mental illnesses' than when we started. :/

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 04:17 PM
link   
What about males who are passive all there lifes?

These fools do not know what they are talking about anyway. But nice thread.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   
This is the worst way they have tried to divide us.

Nobody is crazy, only if you allow yourself to be.

Things like this, sadly, make me hate our medical institutions.

Diagnoses like these are all based on perception and nothing else.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   
I never agreed with doctors saying children have psychiatric and mental disorders and putting them on these dangerous meds. A child is still growing and learning how to experience life. How can you limit such knowledge? When they grow up I can only imagine the problems of using pharmas drugs on a long term basis... But I do acknowledge there are extreme cases that should be dealt with case by case.. but these meds should never be implemented on a long term basis, if AT ALL!

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 04:29 PM
link   
The article is written by Mr Will;
www.washingtonpost.com...
And the key word is "May." The last revision (here on my desk) is over 16 years old and many discoveries and improvements to psychiatry have been found(redundant, I know). Sadly, one of the subtractions, was homosexuality. Thus began the insidious spiral decline of this profession. I do have faith that this so called personality disorder, will not make it into the the new DSM. Currently, there ate 10 specific Personality Disorders:
Paranoid Personality Disorder
Schizoid Personality Disorder
Schizotypal Personality Disorder
Antisocial Personality Disorder
Borderline Personality Disorder
Historionic Personality Disorder
Narcissistic Personality Disorder
Avoidant Personality Disorder
Obsessive-Compulsive Personality Disorder
and,
Personality Disorder Not Otherwise Specified.

All of us have signs and symptoms of each of these types, however, we are healthy enough to realize that they are a dysfunction, and correct our behavior, e.g. We may think that killing someone would be beneficial to our cause, BUT we do NOT do it because we know that it is wrong.

This article, that brings to light some of the "new disorders", are no different than what we see in Personality Disorder NOS.
IMHO, nothing new.

[edit on 17-5-2010 by Violater1]

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Yes, independent thought is evil, independent thinkers must be
controlled, must recognize that "Resistance is Futile" -----isn't
that right out of a Star Trek episode , and the people stating that
were of one mindset, the Borg???????????

Here's one person who enjoyed independent thought:

www.youtube.com...

[edit on 17-5-2010 by manta78]

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kryyptyk
Great find! Its been the opinion of the Psychiatric field for decades to diagnose and medicate. People aren't even individuals to them anymore, they're simply cases organized into neat little categories. I know from personal experience that having independent thought as a child puts you directly on the psychoanalysts radar. They barrage you with IQ tests, Psych tests, and medications in an attempt to keep you under control and within their perimeters of 'accepted norm'. Sadly this suffocates what we could have been, dulling our creativity and vision, and tends to lead to more 'mental illnesses' than when we started. :/

Medicine is called an art for the very reason, that the practitioner, paints their own diagnosis, on the canvas, while using the instrument that they are comfortable with.
Just as in a painting, choose the art that you are comfortable with, if you you don't like the painting, look for another artist. The artist that I am comfortable with have all Doctorate of Osteopathy, first, following what ever specialty they are refined too.
But painting the profession with a broad brush, will obscure the judgment, that one may seek.
IMHO.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 04:43 PM
link   
For anyone interested in having a look at some of the preliminary drafts of the DSM- 5 .....here is a link .
DSM- 5: The Future of Psychiatric Diagnosis

Welcome to the DSM-5 Development Web site. This site provides information culminated from over 10 years of revision activities, made possible thanks to the generous dedication of more than 600 global experts in the field of mental health.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 04:43 PM
link   
So psychiatrists have sold out now too. Why ain't I surprised at that?

There was once a time when folk who were different and thought "outside the box" were thought to be more rational and intelligent, and the multitude who were happy to do their thinking solely "inside the box" were not fully sane. i.e. SHEEPLE

It's a conspiracy.

[edit on 17-5-2010 by wigit]

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 04:50 PM
link   
and George Carlin thinks the government is insane... truth be told 99% of the world is way wack... and the percentage that is showing their wackness instead of hiding it behind manners and decorum is increasing daily... the polite percentage will just wack you secretly the % that is considered to be diseased will do it publicly or not be able to afford a good lawyer.

[edit on 17-5-2010 by DChenO]

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 03:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Pocky

"Independent thinker" does sound a little bit like a comedic euphemism for "certifiably insane" now that you mention it.

e.g. "I am making a bomb. I am such an independent thinker"

Of course one's ability to participate in without being a danger to society, which incidentally includes women and children, should be considered on a case by case basis.

Our flag waves over the free and the brave and the crazy just the same. Everyone remains free until they prove themselves a hazard, a danger or even a nusiance to themselves or others. I doubt this criteria for insanity will change or prove itself any more unjust than it ever has.

new topics

top topics

join