It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Korean mummy found with purse?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   
I am shocked that I might be the first to start something on this.www.dailymail.co.uk...

They were traditionally buried with their most treasured possessions to take with them into their afterlife. And for this female mummy, her most important item was her handbag. The corpse of the Korean woman, which is thought to date back 500 years, was also discovered with her finest clothes as well as a the intricate satchel and ornaments Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...

Now I'm not trying to sound sexist, so my apologies if sounds it. But 500 years? I never really thought how long a "purse" was used by woman. I realize that I'm a little out of contex on what a modern purse and what they mention on the find.
Not to mention I find the reason how this woman was mummified just as interesting.

Although mummies are normally associated with ancient Egypt, mummification was common in Korea. Unlike the Egyptian process, Korean corpses were not deliberately mummified. It was a naturally occurring phenomenon of the way they were buried. During the dynasty, the upper classes were buried in a way that prevented the body's decay. They placed their dead in hoegyeok, a type of tomb, and corpses were buried in double-sided coffins and covered with a layer of a limestone mixture which completely isolated the body from water and air. Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...

[edit on 17-5-2010 by hangedman13]

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by hangedman13

Wow, it's amazing how well preserved all those artifacts are.

The handbag is beautiful, and she must have really loved it.

I'm sort of sad, though, as they didn't say what, if anything was in it.

I wonder myself, what she carried in it. Perhaps some 500 year old cosmetics? Money? Food?

Apparently even back then, women couldn't leave home without one!

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Blanca Rose

Even as a guy I must say the satchel looked very well made. Being that she was noble or at least rich in life I can imagine it held the ancient version of a makeup kit
Someone more savvy then me might be able to post the pics 'm still stumbling at it

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   
That's very interesting to say the least. I have never put any thought into how old the pocketbook or handbag trend is, but 500 years definitely seems too far back from my perspective. I really am surprised that women used purses 500 years ago. I don't ever remember seeing any reference to a purse in Victorian art. I always thought it was really a 20th century thing. I guess you really do learn something new everyday if you look.

_ I would guess that, like today's women, she carried money, personal effects, and maybe some jewelry in the bag. Some things really never do change.

[edit on 17-5-2010 by spinalremain]

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Says to me women haven't changed in 500 years as far as their materialism. All these women that walk around with their expensive handbags is so silly. Yeah yeah I'm sounding sexist. But from their make up to their clothes to their handbags......seems like women have always been obsessed with their looks and image.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Zosynspiracy

To be totally honest, I just realised that I have thought about this before. I remember coming to the conclusion that the purse, or pocketbook was indeed a 20th century innovation for women to carry their "feminine hygiene" products discreetly. I don't think that these products existed prior to last century. Did they?

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Wow that is a fantastic find.

Such a well preserved mummy, too!
Pretty cool considering that the article states the mummification was accidental:

Unlike the Egyptian process, Korean corpses were not deliberately mummified.
It was a naturally occurring phenomenon of the way they were buried.

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...

As for the purse well...if the writing on it translates as "Gucci", chances are it's a knock-off.

- Lee

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Hmmm .. I agree with you'all .. looks like she's from a noble family of some kind to have the luxury of being mummified in the first place .. with all the jewelry and textiles ...

couldn't help reading the comments tho .. hilarious! ...

one of 'um said ..'looks like the mother in law' ...

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 04:48 PM
link   
well bet she had every thing in her bag o and a good photo got to make a few copys of that make a fortun on ebay lol
kind of feal bad for the lady though why cant we let them REST IN PEACE?
I bet haveing people seeing her like that wasnt on her to do list.
o and that pers well looks lioke and small bag a lady would just love even now

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   
That lady shure did hold on to that bag.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by lee anoma

Isn't that awesome? I knew you could naturally mummify and sometimes like in this case accidentally. Sealing the coffin w/limestone
Learn something cool and new everyday.

new topics

top topics

join