It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama 'temporary Dictatorship powers' floated

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   
You know, things that are fringe are floated by random famous people, and next thing you know some politicians pick it up and run with it.

Let's hope the fringe political element doesn't try anything like this for fear of turning the USA into a free fire zone.

entertainment.blogs.foxnews.com...

May 17, 2010 | 1:06 PM ET

Woody Allen says President Obama should be granted dictatorial powers (seriously)

Woody Allen has a strange take on the democracy that allowed him to become rich and famous.

The "Scoop" director said it would be a cool idea for President Barack Obama to be dictator for for a few years.

Why?

So he could get things done without all the hassle of opposing views getting in the way.

In an interview published by Spanish language newspaper La Vanguardia (that we translated), Allen says “I am pleased with Obama. I think he’s brilliant. The Republican Party should get out of his way and stop trying to hurt him.”
But wait - there's more!

The director said "it would be good…if he could be a dictator for a few years because he could do a lot of good things quickly."

Of course, Allen has a famously strange relationship with reality. The director took nude photos of his lover Mia Farrow's teen-age adopted daughter Soon-Yi Previn, and then ended up marrying her after separating from Farrow.

Farrow also said he molested their seven-year-old adopted daugther, Dylan. A judge refused to act on the charges, but called his relationship with Soon-Yi "grossly inappropriate."

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Dbriefed

One celebrity down.

Lets see how many jump on this bandwagon. Get the celebrities calling for it and then their fans will want it and then it will become a reality.

This is the same strategy President Obama used to become President.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 02:50 PM
link   
There is no such thing as a temporary dictator. Woody Allen should know that there were many in Germany that thought Hitler was just going to be temporary.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Woody Allen still has fans?

Actually I do support the idea of Obama being dictator, just not here in the US. I would suggest Sudan and put an end to the problems in Darfur. Maybe South Africa to end the racial violence and corruption of diamond mining.

Or maybe just Woody Allen's personal dictator and force him not to spout of stupid ideas or take questionable actions and start focusing on making intelligent comedies again.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Floated by Woody Allen ...

What a waste of a thread, reporting that nincompoop's ideas.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   
I say let's do it. I say let's just not have anything to do with the government anymore. No one vote, no one be activists, no one lobby, no one do anything. Just sit back and tell them go ahead, do whatever you want, we don't care. And then watch it all fall apart just like that. They would spend so much time in DC arguing over what was best for the country without and guidance from us that nothing would get done. They would spend the country into the ground and the entire fabric of society would unravel. And I say screw it. I so sick and tired of it all, I say we just silently protest, just like that.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   
So a famous comedian says Obama should be dictator and everyone takes it serious. ...Okay

Also interesting how those comments could easily be taken as a joke. Yet the article (from Fox News... no really?) took the opportunity to run him down hard in the following paragraphs. You guys all have a nervous breakdown, I personally find it kind of funny.

[edit on 17-5-2010 by PatesHatriots]

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Let's take a look here...

>A spanish magazine article

>translated by these people

>a famous comedian who is known for his heavy use of sarcasm

Not really a Woody Allen fan, but I don't think we should start sending death threats to Woody Allen because of this blog post. Just saying.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   
"What's with all these awards? They're always giving out awards. Best Fascist Dictator: Adolf Hitler."

~Alvy Singer--Annie Hall, Written and Directed by Woody Allen~

"How the hell do I know why there were Nazis? I don't even know how the can opener works!"

~Hannah and Her Sister's, Written and Directed by Woody Allen~

"Most of life is tragic. You're born, you don't know why. You're here, you don't know why. You go, you die. Your family dies. Your friends die. People suffer. People live in constant terror. The world is full of poverty and corruption and war and Nazis and tsunamis. The net result, the final count is, you lose - you don't beat the house."

~Woody Allen--Personal Quote~

"My one regret in life is that I am not someone else."

~Woody Allen--Personal Quote~

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Uh oh. Sean Penn is gonna be pissed that he didn't think of this first. Watch out, paparazzi.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 04:06 PM
link   
I won't react to this until I hear what Weird-Al Yankovic feels about the idea.
From there I will decide how alarmed I should be.

- Lee

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by dbloch7986
I say let's do it. I say let's just not have anything to do with the government anymore. No one vote, no one be activists, no one lobby, no one do anything. Just sit back and tell them go ahead, do whatever you want, we don't care. And then watch it all fall apart just like that. They would spend so much time in DC arguing over what was best for the country without and guidance from us that nothing would get done. They would spend the country into the ground and the entire fabric of society would unravel. And I say screw it. I so sick and tired of it all, I say we just silently protest, just like that.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

THAT is exactly what is happening now even with the populace bitching about it, they just choose to ignore us.
Majority did not want the stupid ass obamacare bill passed, they did it anyway, over 60% of us like the AZ law and they continue to denegrate it and make fun of it.
THEY DON'T CARE WHAT WE THINK!

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 05:03 PM
link   
So, one guy makes a stupid statement (or was he maybe just joking) and that deserves a rather misleading headline? The way its written it suggests it could have been floated by people in government, but some large organization with enormous political clout.

But one single guy, saying something off the cuff, and maybe even not really meaning it. Hell, any number of people I know have said things like, "Boy, I wish I could be dictator for just a year, then I'd fix everything." I think I've even said such things, but that doesn't mean ANY of us actually meant it. I certainly didn't.

As for the idea of temporary dictators, there have been times in history that such a thing has actually worked. The Roman Republic had in place a system where they could in times of great crisis elect one of their own as a temporary Dictator (in fact that's where the word first comes from), who would have total control until the crisis had passed. The most famous of these was Cincinnatus, who was twice elected Dicator and both times gave it up as soon as the crises were averted.

The first time Rome was being attacked by several rival tribes - Cincinnatus was elected, defeated them in battle and resigned his Dictatorship only 16 days after it began. The second time he led opposition to a possible coup by another Roman noble - again, as soon as this noble was dead, he resigned his dictatorship. But, such things are rare and in Rome, of course, a succession of Dicatators and the Peoples' greater and greater disinterest in Republican values eventually lead to Julius Caesar, who had himself named "Dictator in Perpetuity," effectively becoming the first Emperor of Rome in all but name. His nephew Augustus is generally reckoned the first true Emperor of Rome, though he never officially took the title, either.

[edit on 5/17/2010 by LifeInDeath]

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 05:09 PM
link   
you made a thread to deflate Obama....that was made up by .... Woody Allen

What's next?

Deep thoughts: Why are we here? By the Spice Girls?

Cmon.

[edit on 17-5-2010 by Snarf]

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 05:09 PM
link   
The above Allen quotes reminded me of his movie Bananas. When Espisito, the leader of the "freedom fighters," takes over the country of San Marcos and becomes Dictator, his first public speech goes like this:

Esposito: From this day on, the official language of San Marcos will be Swedish. Silence! In addition to that, all citizens will be required to change their underwear every half-hour. Underwear will be worn on the outside so we can check. Furthermore, all children under 16 years old are now... 16 years old!

Fielding Mellish [Allen's character]: What's the Spanish word for straitjacket?

I don't know, based on that I have a feeling Allen generally has a dim view of dictators.

[edit on 5/17/2010 by LifeInDeath]

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 05:20 PM
link   
I wish Obama would bring Michelle and the kids and come to our house for dinner one night. There's about as much chance of that happening as there is that Obama will be a dictator. But I don't think anyone is going to start a thread about it...

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
I wish Obama would bring Michelle and the kids and come to our house for dinner one night. There's about as much chance of that happening as there is that Obama will be a dictator. But I don't think anyone is going to start a thread about it...

No, maybe not, but for sure they will take the time to make a post about it.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent HereticI wish Obama would bring Michelle and the kids and come to our house for dinner one night. There's about as much chance of that happening as there is that Obama will be a dictator. But I don't think anyone is going to start a thread about it...

Assuming you are a supporter of him, I'd say there's a slightly better chance of that happening than of him becoming Dictator. It's just the kind of thing I could see him doing once or twice with SOME family somewhere in the next bunch of years as a kind of campaign stop, maybe in 2012.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Obama in January 2009 ordered all 43 era policies and items suspended pending a review. As far as I know that order still stands. The dictatorial powers in this case can be used to leverage entities like the banks, Wall St, Big Oil, Big Pharm and any other multi billion dollar and multi national company.

We the people run this nation.

I care not a yap what a pedophile like Woody Allen thinks.

[edit on 17-5-2010 by TheImmaculateD1]

new topics

top topics

join