It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Uh-oh! Katla Volcano Just Rumbled

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Uh-oh! Katla Volcano Just Rumbled

modernsurvivalblog.com

On May 17, 2010 08:32 UTC, The Iceland Met office indicates that a small earthquake has occurred at the Katla location. In what could be an early indication of the event that is expected to occur (an eruption of Katla), a small earthquake is reported at the site. Although a single earthquake is not a precursor of an eminent eruption, it could be the first ’sigh’ of the awakening powerful giant.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   
It's not really news but it shows that we are getting closer. This eruptions becomes more and more a reality.
If this erupt you can say goodbye to summer.

It will have a devastating effect on crops (and god knows its already hard for them), and could lead to worldwide famine.
In addition, planes would be grounded for months, if not years.

modernsurvivalblog.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Hopefully it was just a small tremor releasing tension and nothing more. If this one blows, the devastation will be immense. I once read that an economic depression needs a famine (a la 1930's dustbowl) and this sucker erupting would certainly sink the european economies as well as the US.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   
how strong was that small earthquake if anyone knows?

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by nydsdan

Bunker-buster? Just sayin...

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Not a very good sign. My friend was wanting to go to England sometime in August. Wondering if he would be stranded at the airport for days on end if this thing blows, that is if the ash clouds would blow over London. Then we could say hello to the new Industrial Revolution! I disagree however with worldwide famine and cooler temperatures all over. I don't think this volcano is powerful enough to do that but you never know I shouldn't say things like that.

[edit on 17-5-2010 by Shrukin89]

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 05:41 PM
link   
off topic, but i realy like that pic, it's from the History Channel Earth Planet Special right?

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Think I read 2 out of the last 3 historical Ejakwotsit eruptions set Katla off, so it going off meant a more likely than not eruption of Katla in the subsequent months.

So, yes, possibly months, if not years, of European flight disruption. There was an article somewhere positing the fact that ash disruption might last decades since these Icelandic volcanoes go through cycles of activity, with the late 20th century having been in a cyclical trough.

Glad I don't have a Spanish holiday home.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Katla erupted in 1918 and what with the big mess mankind was making all on his own at that time, the world scarcely stopped to take note. Inconvenient? Big time. A big problem for people who live in Iceland? Absolutely. But where does this idea come from that We Are All Doomed?

What is the point of all this advanced society if we can't survive a couple of years of slightly cooler temperatures? Pretty sure we can.

[edit on 17-5-2010 by quakewatcher]

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Here is the map of the quakes:

en.vedur.is...

The bottom right is Katla (the larger white area). To the left, is E15.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by ickylevel

Uh-Oh, Another Katla thread

Do we really need a new thread each time a minor earthquake goes off in isolation, or someone mistakenly identifies a puff of steam?

Until you see reasonable size earthquakes in reasonable quantities, don't make a thread - use the various long running ones that are made for the purpose.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Here is a link to the EyeBallJelloSkull webcam.
eldgos.mila.is...

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by PuterMan
reply to post by ickylevel

Uh-Oh, Another Katla thread

Do we really need a new thread each time a minor earthquake goes off in isolation, or someone mistakenly identifies a puff of steam?

Until you see reasonable size earthquakes in reasonable quantities, don't make a thread - use the various long running ones that are made for the purpose.

Somehow the earthquakes that are coming from this region is pointing to another sign. The long running threads about the minor earthquake in this region will get thrown under the carpet as if nothing happened. But this thread is actually giving you some attention and time to prepare, and being given as a warning to travelers and people here on ATS as to what's to come ahead. Maybe we need to make a thread called "Katla Volcano Updates". "Or simply put it in Volcano Watch."

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Shrukin89

I understand what you are saying, but really getting prepared on the basis of a single Mag 1.0?

Place it in Volcano Watch as you suggest, or perhaps better still the Eyjafjallajoyull Caldera Eruption thread.

Yes Katla will go up of course, but as the Icelandic Met Office is at pains to point out, there is nothing at present to indicate that.

top topics

join