It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will NASA finally R&D Anti-gravity?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Now that NASA has been given the directive to research and develop better spacecraft propulsion systems... will they apply those resources to develop quantum anti-gravity lift and propulsion technology? Will we finally get an efficient space exploration program - and perhaps levitating automobiles as a spin-off technology?

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Larryman
Now that NASA has been given the directive to research and develop better spacecraft propulsion systems... will they apply those resources to develop quantum anti-gravity lift and propulsion technology? Will we finally get an efficient space exploration program - and perhaps levitating automobiles as a spin-off technology?

They'll get a good head start, if they team up with me.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Russians have already beat them to it
Should make things interesting

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 02:35 PM
link   
So where are we going.
Some one at one time said they had a craft that could go
a million miles and hour.
1.08 Million mph to be exact.
That might be 9,460.8 Million miles in a year.

But he was ignored but not has been occulted.
We now know what anti gravity is so the knowledge
of what gravity is must be close at hand.
Not knowing the distances to the planets right off I still
think Mars should not take long to see up close.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 02:40 PM
link   
NASA has no need to R&D anti-gravity technology, it is plainly obvious that NASA is nothing more than the public front of the US's space program, if and when NASA get anti-gravity technology it will be given to them off the black projects. I'm quiet sure there are some form of anti-gravity technologies currently in use in black projects, but I doubt NASA will see any of this kind of technology for atleast a good 50-70 years.

[edit on 17-5-2010 by Resentedhalo08]

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Well, if the military is holding up NASA's anti-gravity development... then there is no point wasting tax money on this:

"Aging NASA Labs Need $2 Billion Makeover"
www.space.com...

And certainly no need to waste money on the much hyped VASMIR - which is only a minor improvement over chemical rocket propulsion.

We should put NASA on ice until the military allows civilian use of anti-gravity.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   
When are we to learn if NASA's 2011 budget for 'new propulsion technology development' will include any funding for quantum anti-gravity lift and propulsion technology?

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   
NASA has R and D'd it already. Look up my thread on Ning Li.

The DoD is currently doing it in China with Dr. Robert Baker (the eminent grav researcher in the US) and the esteemed Dr. Hal Puthoff (of Ingo Swann fame).

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Yes... I remember that Ning Li was making progress with superconductor magnets before that was closed down. But I wonder if NASA's 'new directive' will restore her work, or perhaps sub-contract development funds to the Gravity Control Technologies company for development of their zero-point-field powered propulsion technology; or to something else? Other than restoring old laboratories, I have not seen what technology the 2011 funding is to be applied to.

[edit on 6/6/2010 by Larryman]

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Larryman

If anything, it will come as a quiet "data dump" from LANL. NASA will be praised as hero's.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Perhaps if they had a look at this paper it might help them out.

Photon Theory

edit for double word

[edit on 6-6-2010 by sherpa]

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 05:10 PM
link   

VASIMR is a huge leap. It is not a science fiction it is science fact. While I fully support NASA researching exotic technologies VASIMR is in prototype stage and can right now allow humanity to explore the entire Solar System should we decide to build spacecraft to support such and effort.

Just take a submarine design build it in space and put several large VASIMR engines on it and you can visit Pluto and back in a few years time.

Submarines already provide enough nuclear energy to support very large VASIMR engines. If they would invest enough money and speed up VASIMR tests on the ISS they could easily place humans in orbit around Mars in 5 years.

I really do not want the human race to sit around idle here on planet earth waiting for some barely theoretical anti gravity, wormhole or antimatter technology that is 20 or 50 years out if its even possible.

VASIMR works and if deployed properly it can open the solar system up for exploration, mining and even colonization should we decide to invest in it.

Sure lets research fantasy space propulsion but lets not ignore proven technology that is ready today and wait for fantasies to come true.

VASIMR was once a FANTASY and NASA dumped it because they though it was not doable. One man kept on and now has working prototypes.

AD ASTRA

The VF-200 is the first flight unit of the VASIMR engine. It will be tested on the International Space Station (ISS) where the thrust and performance can be measured without the limitations of pumping and pressure found in ground-based space simulation chambers. The VF-200 will consist of two 100 kW thruster units packaged together in one engine bus. The magnetic field of each thruster will be oriented in opposite directions in order to make a zero-torque magnetic quadrapole, which is important when operating in low earth orbit because the magnetic field of the earth and magnet want to be aligned. The magnetic quadrapole will also improve the performance of the VF-200 magnetic nozzle.

For humans to travel safely to Mars and beyond, it will be important to make the trip as quickly as possible and thereby reduce the crew's exposure to weightlessness and space radiation. With today's chemical rockets, a round-trip mission to Mars would take over two years, with much of that time spent waiting for the right planetary alignment to return.

More rapid transit is possible with a VASIMR® propulsion system powered by a nuclear-electric generator. A 12 MegaWatt VASIMR®-powered craft could reach Mars in less than four months. A 200 MegaWatt ship could make the trip in as few as 39 days.

From two year trip to 39 days is a huge monstrous leap into the future. The rest of the advanced propulsion tech is only a dream at this point.

So I agree with you that we need to focus on those fantasy ways to travel in space but we need to FAST TRACK VASIMR to orbit. If we had to evacuate Earth with two or less years warning, VASIMR is our only option.

We can fantasize about deep black programs with Stargate technology and hope even tiny bits are true but I prefer to ground myself in reality first. Then dreams.

Just wanted to add that the magnets needed to path the plasma could also be designed to add additional shielding of any spacecraft from harmful sun particles and radiation. It would essentially flow the particles around and away from the craft much like earths magnetosphere does for earth.

[edit on 6-6-2010 by Xeven]

I think its first deep space mission should be a robtic one to go out retrieve one of the Voyager craft and bring it home for study and to preserve it and while there deploy another probe with VASIMR engine to continue along the current path that the voyager craft was on. It should of course include the same gold disks and laser disks etc... the voyager has. It would of course have a much better communications and scientific instruments designed to explore deep extra solar space.

[edit on 6-6-2010 by Xeven]

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Xeven

"VASIMR is a huge leap."

No it's not a huge leap. It's just another baby-step of progress in old-fashioned propellant-reaction propulsion. It can not even lift it's self off the ground, or land at the destination - as you said: 'built in space'. And that is ignoring the agonizingly slooow acceleration and deceleration processes of the voyage in between them. Time has run out for baby-step progress.

When the Kepler satellite finds a 'real' planet to colonize - one with oceans of water and breathable air... will VASIMR technology get millions of us there? Hint... it will be in another star system.

VASIMR will be like chemical propellant propulsion before it... just another undersized technology to abandon, to achieve the real goal of reaching the (light-years distant) stars - where human civilizations can thrive. Yes, VASIMR could possibly get a handful of people to Mars and moons in our Solar system before our civilization expires. But that is not creating viable human civilizations on those dead rocks.

Now, which is easier... terraforming Mars to accommodate human civilizations -or- developing anti-gravity propulsion to voyage to ready-made Earth-like planets in other star systems?

And since your fond of the word 'fantasy', consider this fantasy... We have all the time in the world to colonize space - by baby-step achievements.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 04:58 PM
link   

kepler can only determine size & orbit of the planet not what the atmospheres are like and they will be bewteen 500 - 3000 light years away. The next generation of space telescopes will be able to study atmospheres but only of planets within 100 light years.

there are many problems with travelling at relativistic speed. Space isnt empty and above 0.4c the interstellar medium produces deadly radiation inside the craft. You'll need some new type of as yet undiscovered sheilding along with your warp drive. good luck

[edit on 8-6-2010 by yeti101]

top topics

join