It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Top 5 Worst Oil Spills - by the numbers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 12:40 PM
link   

(Most data gathered via Wikipedia - citations for numbers can be found here.)
These are comparison numbers for other oil spills that have happened to our earth. Oil spills are horrible, no doubt about it. Do we need to have fear and end-of-the-world woes about the Gulf of Mexico spill going on now? Probably not.

According to numerous sources (mainly oil companies and oil producing countries
) the Gulf War Oil Spill, currently the highest volume oil spill, didn't have much long term damage [Ref].

The Horizon Oil Spill is currently the 4th worst oil spill in history. If it continues another month at 50,000-70,000 barrels a day it will move into second worst; if it continues for another 4-5 months it will officially be the worst spill ever.

Did the Gulf War Oil Spill polute the entire world? Did it kill every living thing in the Persian Gulf? No. I appreciate people are concerned and worried but instead of yelling the sky is falling (end of the world term in the U.S.) consider taking action and try to inform your government officials of the truth in the numbers, help enact new legislation and fight for green technologies. (If you already are taking action - good on ya'!)

We're gonna make it!! We humans always do!

[edit on 17-5-2010 by Thermo Klein]

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   
As a resident of the Treasure Coast of Florida my worry is not that the entire ocean will die and subsequently lead to the species demise.

My worry is that my own beaches and my Dad's love of fishing will be ruined for the next 30 years.

I am not eager to snorkel and dive in muck and have my neighborhood smell like the Jersey Turnpike.

Let's cut the crap shall we. Florida has absolutely zero to offer except hot chicks and nice beaches.

You take away the nice beaches the hot chicks become fat or leave.

Aka Florida has nothing to offer.

With all the numbers floating around ATS about gallons and barrels, has anyone spent any amount of time looking at the Babe numbers and how they will be affected?

I think not.

That is all.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by AllexxisF1

I agree! You could start a "Hot babe and dude oil clean up school"!

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Just for reference:
Exxon Valdez Oil Spill - March 24,1989
10,800,000 Gallons

Source

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Thanks! Wonder why that wasn't on Wikipedia - I thought Wiki was a perfect source of complete news

Thanks for the info

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Based on reports that the original pipe diameter is 21", the siphon diameter is 4", and the siphon is getting 1,000 barrels a day of the flow.

Using 20" ID:

Area = 1256.64

Using 3.5" ID for siphon (guesstimate, 1/4" thick pipe walls, could be underestimating)

Area = 38.48

Ratio = 32.66 : 1

Siphon is taking 1,000 barrels/day, so now the flow rate is "only" 31660 barrels a day leaking

So 32660 X 27 = 881,820 barrels = 37,036,440 gallons so far

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

10.8 million gallons makes the Exxon Valdez 53rd on the naughty list.

10.8 million gallons = 257,000 barrels

[edit on 17-5-2010 by Thermo Klein]

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by apacheman

A barrel is 42 gallons according to all the sources I've seen. The numbers are gonna vary quite a bit but the latest I've heard, from NPR [National Public Radio], quoting numerous independant sources, is 70,000 barrels a day. I've also heard from 56,000 and up to 100,000 barrels a day.

The syphon hose will help but I think we have a pretty good estimate with the OP graph.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Hot baby's numbers on Florida beaches before the oil gets there.
O man ok shes hot that's one wow what a fox ok that's two ooo my god come here hunny that's now were was i O yea 1.
baby's after the oil gets to Florida beaches O wow come here darling let me help you with that oil stoked bird.ok 1 ummmrf sweets I know how to get oil stains out of that here let me help you take it off ,umm 2
hey pumpkin ill hold that sign save the beaches how about some plastic beeds , that's ummmm darn lost count again
well never mind got to help that sugar with her dolphin

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 01:37 PM
link   
SAVE THE FLORIDA Beach hunnys before its to late.
Come on now you wont protest lousing your hunnys goto

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 01:59 PM
link   
"By the numbers" actual data doesn't sell without Doom and Gloom?

Fine, we'll try sexy beach honeys

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 03:25 AM
link   
Note to self - Add pics and YouTube videos even if it's a concise thread on facts...

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 04:24 AM
link   
My number one concern here in Florida, besides it ruining the diving, is that is will find its way into the Florida Aquifer and damage our drinking water. Much of Florida uses wells tapped into the aquifer as its water source, including Zephyrhills Bottled Water…

top topics

join