It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atomic Superposition: 2+ Objects Same Time & Place

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   
It would appear that two objects CAN occupy the same place at the same time,

at nearly absolute zero.

Quantum Dynamics of Matter Waves Reveal Exotic Multibody Collisions

ScienceDaily (May 16, 2010)

— At extremely low temperatures atoms can aggregate into so-called Bose Einstein condensates forming coherent laser-like matter waves. Due to interactions between the atoms fundamental quantum dynamics emerge and give rise to
periodic collapses and revivals of the
matter wave field.

. . .
This is a kind of artificial crystal made of light with periodically arranged bright and dark areas, generated by the superposition of standing laser light waves from different directions. This lattice can be viewed as an 'egg carton' on which the atoms are distributed. Whereas in a real egg carton each site is either occupied by a single egg or no egg, the number of atoms sitting at each lattice site is determined by the laws of quantum mechanics: Depending on the lattice height (i.e. the intensity of the laser beam) the
single lattice sites can be occupied by zero, one, two, three and more atoms at the same time.

The use of those
"atom number superposition states" is the key to the novel measurement principle developed by the researchers.
. . .
www.sciencedaily.com...

Matter wave field?
Certainly makes fertile ground for the imagination to conjure many possibilities.

Beem me up Scotty?
Maybe the transport beam of the Starship Enterprise was not baseless afterall.
Use the collapse of the matter wave field here to revive it there & presto, you have been transported.

Of course having your body cyonically frozen to absolute zero might be a bit problematic . . .

I wonder if Scotty has an ice scraper handy? Careful with that icepick.

And if matter is just a wave/energy function, what if anything is really 'solid' & immutable.
And most of space is only at 3 degrees above absolute zero, so a lot of actual possibilities may be.

[edit on 17-5-2010 by slank]

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   
This is just outstanding...it's way over my head, but I can understand enough to know that this will solidify and increase our understanding of Quantum Mechanics vastly. Matter wave fields...that's just mind boggling...how is the human brain going to keep up with the rate at which science advances...

join