It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Drones exposed by Houston local News - Must Watch!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 11:37 AM
link   
As a Texan this scares the *#$% out of me! Great job Houston's channel 2!

Edit to add That it seems like this is a exposition for the local officials so I am safe to assume this is probably a third party company showing off their goods right?

[edit on 17-5-2010 by 911fnord]

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 11:42 AM
link   
wow.

The first thing I thought of was..

'damn, now these 'gun toting' Texans are going to have something to shoot at'.

This is MESSED UP, on ALL levels.

Edit-

[edit on 17-5-2010 by Common Good]

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by 911fnord

Just for the record, they've been doing this for at least four years: www.azcentral.com...

In fact I remember recently watching one of those Science Channel programs going in depth about the technology and uses behind those drones. Their reasoning is essentially that they are cheaper to operate than helicopters for border patrols and drug trafficking interdiction.

Not defending the practice mind you ... the "big brother" potentiality is obviously present. I just wanted to note that it isn't by any means a new practice.

[edit on 17 May 2010 by schrodingers dog]

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Then why all the secrecy? Not to mention a fake threat that the airspace was closed off. I understand that this maybe par for the course now around the border, but the way the news team handled the information I thought was very good. It was more about how this effects our privacy and less about "OHH HEY LOOK fancy new criminal catcher!"

thanks for the reply!

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Nothing new here to see. The UAVs carry an off the shelf Sony camera and can't see into homes or through anything else. Cameras on helicopters are much larger and much more powerful.

They would be great on the border though with their long endurance….

I would be interested in why this bothers some of you when we also have cameras on cop cars, intersections, Helicopters/planes etc.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by 911fnord

Then why all the secrecy? Not to mention a fake threat that the airspace was closed off.

Actually the air space would be closed off since the FAA has not regulated UAVs as of yet, and so they most likely got a mile circle of restricted airspace to demo their UAV.

[edit on 17-5-2010 by Xtrozero]

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   
So we need to make sure we attach lasers to the Geostationary Banana Over Texas to shoot the drones down?

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 12:40 PM
link   
And some people think that the right to bear shoulder launched surface to air missiles should not be included in the second amendment. I say if no one else will stand up for a person's rights, then it is up to the individual to do so. But I do suggest exhausting all other options first.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   
I would just like to add at this point it sort of dawns on me that the importance of this video is not the actual technology it talks about but the manner in which the authorities decided to go about the demo.

In most cases the local authorities gladly welcome the media because in a sense it not only tells the locals what the authorities are using but also the criminals and therefore possibly scaring a few into not committing crimes. This investigation though was hindered false claims about air space and in general were very secretive. Maybe its just me but most the time when you are hiding something it means you have something to hide...

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by JoshNorton
So we need to make sure we attach lasers to the Geostationary Banana Over Texas to shoot the drones down?

Future news headline:

Hundreds die as a result of passenger jet colliding with hovering banana.

On topic:

If these things were only for good, then why was it a secret launch? You see, whenever secrecy is involved, there is usually a reason.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Another video about police drones.

www.jimmarrs.com...

1984 is here and we are all under surveillance now.

There is no where to run, no where to hide.

Very scary times.

And I agree with The_Zomar, why all the secrecy?

[edit on 6-6-2010 by ofhumandescent]

new topics

top topics

join