It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Supreme Court: Sex offenders can be held indefinitely

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Supreme Court: Sex offenders can be held indefinitely

news.blogs.cnn.com

The Supreme Court ruled Monday the federal government has the power to indefinitely keep some sex offenders behind bars after they have served their sentences, if officials determine those inmates may prove "sexually dangerous" in the future.

"The federal government, as custodian of its prisoners, has the constitutional power to act in order to protect nearby (and other) communities from the danger such prisoners may pose," Justice Stephen Breyer wrote for the 7-2 majority.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 10:13 AM
link   
I saw this and wanted to comment about it here on ATS.

So, I think that this is a bad idea. Not that I think sex offenders will come out of prison as model citizens; however, if they are sentenced and serve their time, do they not deserve to be set free? Why not include murders into this new "policy"? How about drug traffickers?

Is this the beginning of a slippery slope, which may lead to other convicted felons being detained beyond their sentence length?

I'm sure that discretion will be used to decide who stays beyond their sentenced time; however, who's discretion? As power shifts back in forth in politics over the years, I can see where one philosophy may keep someone locked up (i.e., someone caught in possession of drugs for personal use); whereas, with a different philosophy may set the same person free.

This just seems too arbitrary and has implications that could eventually affect anyone who has been convicted of a crime.

Thoughts? Not necessarily thoughts on what sex offenders deserve; rather, what this could lead to in all types of criminal convictions.

news.blogs.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

Well, it's simple. Make the time spent behind bars longer for this type of crime, or any other that makes the criminal a possible danger.

I don't think that after one has served their time, they should be held indefinately.

Create a longer sentence, or let them go.

This is not fair to tax payers, if the criminal has already served what was ordered.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

I agree with you, I for one cant stand the idea of Sex offenders roaming the streets. However, after they have served there time, thats the end of it. If they re-offend throw the damn book at them, do not hold someone in prison for longer then there sentence allows them to. THAT would be the end of our already retarded Justice system, the final nail in the coffin.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 10:33 AM
link   
I wouldn't mind repeat offenders getting mandatory life sentences. However in the interest of preserving the integrity of the judicial system I would be against first-timers getting locked up for life. This one is tough for me. I can tolerate murderers, drug pushers, robbers, gangsters, and most variants of societies ills. However sexual offenders are the lowest mother#ers on the face of the earth and my emotional side would like to see them all in gas chambers immediately after they commit their crime. However in the interest of justice you have to give an individual a chance to redeem themselves in society once they pay their debt. However if they screw up twice, gas the #ers.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 10:44 AM
link   
First off, the Federal Government shouldn't decide how long a sentence is for anyone once after they already received their time.

If you are charged with a crime, then the term should be set for the length needed.
Be it 30 years or 10...

I am in no way condoning the actions of sex offenders.
I personally believe they should be castrated and made an example of.

Sorry, but I believe in harsh sentencing because it will cause a person to think before he/she acts.
Period.

I also believe you lose your civil rights once entering prison, you are no longer an asset to society and you should be breaking rocks all day.
Not learning how to be a divine minister, or getting a degree.

Once you have a tough prison lifestyle, you wouldn't want to go back.

[edit on 17-5-2010 by havok]

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Who cares they need to be eliminated totally for taking. As far as how long they should be stuck, that should be left up to the victim or victims, that would be fair.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 10:53 AM
link   
As far as i am concerned anyone is a sex offender isn't it in this world by there laws. It is just law enforcement say who is and who is not.

These planks of wood would call a monk a sex offender and he does not want to have sex in his life, thats how planks of wood run the system.

The police can make up anything about anyone on earth, and by there definition everyone on earth is a sex offender, but planks of wood called police selectively enforce the law, so a few get punished.

Of course there really are rapists and paedos, but how many female sex offenders are there?

Get it the society calls a person not wanting to have sex in there lifes a sex offender, and everyone jumps in as they are all hypocrites of the highest order.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aggie Man

I saw this and wanted to comment about it here on ATS.

So, I think that this is a bad idea.

Come back and tell us the same thing after your daughter/sister/mother is raped and/or killed by one of these monsters.

Not trying to be difficult with your post, but I think it's easy to sit back and dictate arm-chair politics if you've never been through the hell that loved ones go through at the hands of these monsters.

I'm all for detaining them until they die behind prison bars.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 11:02 AM
link   
I think this is a great idea.

I don't see why a sex offender should be released, if they served 25 years in solitary it still wouldn't make any difference to what they've done in my opinion, a crime as heinous as that can never be redeemed and should be punished with indefinite jail sentences, or more appropriately death.

[edit on 17-5-2010 by Scope and a Beam]

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by sos37
Come back and tell us the same thing after your daughter/sister/mother is raped and/or killed by one of these monsters.

You have never heard of false rape then that females make up about plenty of males.

You people have not heard of that then.

Get it people this stuff can be made up about anyone on this planet. You never need to go near anyone, people can just make it all up.

Of course lets just kill anyone you people want.

Have you not seen all the dna releasing plenty of innocent people wrongly convicted. How about if you people where wrongly accused, of course the wrongfully accused are scum in your eyes too, as they have not done anything but you want them murdered too, when your all hypocrites.

[edit on 5/17/2010 by andy1033]

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 11:08 AM
link   

I have been raped. I also have a very good friend who was gang raped, and then tied to a bed that was sent on fire.

Detaining these people after their sentence is over, is not right. Like I said, to tax payers, who ultimately pay for this extension.

It's still going to cost, but, at least what needs to happen, in my opinion, is that the original sentence needs to be lengthened.

These people are being kept, after their commitment has been served. Don't like it? Then make the original sentence longer, so we don't even have to have this discussion.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033

You have never heard of false rape then that females make up about plenty of males.

You people have not heard of that then.

Get it people this stuff can be made up about anyone on this planet. You never need to go near anyone, people can just make it all up.

Of course lets just kill anyone you people want.

If you'd never been near someone that was claiming you'd raped them you'd be found not guilty as there'd be no DNA or proof of rape.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Scope and a Beam

No people are labeled for life by plenty of females aren't they. People do not care for facts do they they just make it all up, and once its made up everyone believes. Plenty of innocent males are in prison and did nothing, dna evidence has only just came about.

I remember a bloke about 4 years back being released in usa for a crime he never did, i.e rape. He got out after years in prison, i was just wondering how the feck he even wanted to talk to another female in his lfe. How males like that who have spent years in prison for not doing anything, but some horrendous human female decided she would destroy that persons life for no reason. How males like that ever speak to another female is beyond me.

How come the females that make stuff up, are not in prison, and labeled things for the rest of there lifes. A woman who makes up horrendous things and is not true should be in prison herself, if it is found to be not true. But of course you people all believe the females, of course they are all truthful.

Do you know what it is like to be wrongly accused of stuff and they paying for it, when the accuser can laugh in your face.

I wonder how many females have done this to males, and the males probably have never touched them, but years ago people had no dna evidence.

Of course real sex offenders should be in jail. But you people do not realize that nearly everyone on planet earth is a sex offender, but it is selectively enforced, and most people are absolute hypocrites.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Good it's a bout dang time...now if we could just hang 'em like in the old days, or drag them behind a car by a chain!!!!

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Here's the problem people.

It's not about how long these people should serve their term.

It's about the gov't stepping in and changing things.

The entire situation has absolutely nothing todo with a sentence.

Sure, let us allow the gov't dictate how long things should be, just like how they can fire the CEO of a corporation, and how they can tell you you HAVE to pay for health care.

[facepalm]
Don't you see the meaning here?
The gov't doesn't need to intervene in everything!

If you think people should get longer sentences' for crimes, then take it to the court system, or vote for different judges.

This is a citizens choice, not the gov't!
We elect the officials! We should elect those who preach about longer terms.
We should NOT allow the gov't to step in!

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 11:24 AM
link   

How come the females that make stuff up, are not in prison, and labeled things for the rest of there lifes. A woman who makes up horrendous things and is not true should be in prison herself, if it is found to be not true. But of course you people all believe the females, of course they are all truthful.

+1

Not to mention the divorce laws should be rewritten since they favor the mother a thousands times more than the father. The father ALWAYS LOSES.

Why? Because those laws were done in the 30s were women were treated like trash.

Time to rewrite those laws. You want equality not just female superiority? Let's go for it.

And anyway this case sets a very dangerous precedent. As all police states and draconians laws they pass, first it's for sex offenders, rapists, nazis and terrorists... but then it's for those who oppose the government.

The US government already has done this. Using the Patriot Act and anti-terrorism laws of all kinds to arrest, frame, detain and harass patriots who were exposing the government corruption and lies.

Supreme Court, ruling against the constitution once again! What a surprise.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   

><

Someone could report your name to the police and lie that you sexually molested their children. There is no DNA evidence, but you are convicted as a sex offender because the jury was composed of people that hate sex offenders. You are immediately placed in jail and held indefinitely for the rest of your life.

Be careful with your line of thinking, lest it be falsely applied to you.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Exactly you never know who you meet may be just trying to wreck your life. While nearly every person on earth is a sex offender by definition, the hypocrites cry out they want to murder anyone and everyone.

I just wonder how many males are in prison for doing what 90% of all males did in there situation.

I just wonder how many males are in prison for not paying attention to a female and she could just make it all up.

Maybe you did not want to speak to a woman in a pub when she tried it on with you, and next thing she has gone to the police nut cases and made up horrendous stuff about you for no reason.

Oh yep lets label a person who refused to talk to a woman in a pub a sex offender as she just made it all up, and the police spent the rest of his life torturing him.

I could give plenty of scenarios where females in real life situations do crazy things with no care what so ever for a male that had nothing to do with them.

But of course to everyone, someone else is a sex offender while by definition everyone on earth is one.

I am not saying real sex offenders do not exist because they do, but i am talking about this law and how easy it is for scumbag females to exploit it.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

I appreciate some are in prison for things they didn't commit, this is why the issue is not quite as black and white as I made out.

I see your point but I believe that if there's strong evidence that someone is in fact a sex offender then they should receive the death penalty.

Why do you say everyone on earth is a sex offender? I don't understand this I for one am not.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join