It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

San Diego Faces Own Medicine as Arizona Residents Cancel Travel Following Boycott

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Arizona tourists are biting back against San Diego for its city council's decision to boycott the Grand Canyon State over its immigration law signed by Gov. Jan Brewer last month.

Would-be tourists have notified the San Diego Convention and Visitors Bureau and some hotels that they are canceling their scheduled travel to the coastal vacation destination, according to the San Diego Union-Tribune.

According to the newspaper, the convention bureau has received about 25-30 emails from Arizona residents, with some saying they are canceling their reservations and taking their money elsewhere.

That has tourism officials urging Arizonans to consider the resolutions as merely symbolic and local politics at work.

"We're in a very tough environment already because of everything else going on, and we don't need another negative impact to our industry," ConVis President Joe Terzi told the Union-Tribune. "This affects all the hardworking men and women who count on tourism for their livelihoods, so we’re saying, don't do something that hurts their livelihoods."

"I've been approached by a number of hotels who are very concerned because they’ve received cancellations from Arizona guests," Namara Mercer, executive director of the county Hotel-Motel Association, told the newspaper.

Roughly 2 million Arizonans visit San Diego each year but the recession has taken a toll on the hotel industry that was hoping for a comeback this year. Hotels are offering deep discounts to fill up their undersold rooms while the tourism board spends $7 million this spring and summer season to promote travel to the area.

Several councils in large cities like Los Angeles, Austin, Boston and San Francisco have approved boycotts on employee travel or future contracts with Arizona businesses as a result of the law that goes into effect on July 1. The state tourism bureau has said the losses so far have reached nearly $10 million as a result of 23 canceled meetings.

MODS: If I didn't place in correct area please make the change for me, Thank You

The link source is from: FOXNews.com

I checked to see if this had been posted yet, but all I got was an error message. I hope I didn't step on anyone toes if you already posted this.

[edit on 17-5-2010 by guohua]

[edit on 17-5-2010 by guohua]

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Good Morning, I hope that you find this interesting, As California does.
I think that this boycott is like a two edge blade, Yes, It will cut you from either side.
I made mention in a reply to another post about how this boycott of our Arizona Law was not going to be a very good idea, because, guess what you Open Boarder and Sanctuary Cities Freaks fail to understand, Arizonians have money too and we go on vacations like you big smart city folks. Did I forget something, Yes, Arizonians also have their business and they contract out jobs and order supplies.

I'm ranting again, Sorry, Old Age

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Don't worry, the folks from ALIPAC are urging people to go to Arizon (I forget when exactly) to support Arizona and to spend money there.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 10:56 AM
link   
HAHAHA, 25-30 people. Wow, I bet california is sweating bullets right now.

"Omigod, 25-30 people from the Naziest place on Earth aren't coming here, what are we going to do?"
"Same thing as usual, we'll head to the MM Dispensary, medicate, and go on about life as if everything is rad. Because it is"

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Night Star
Don't worry, the folks from ALIPAC are urging people to go to Arizon (I forget when exactly) to support Arizona and to spend money there.

That's great, But I was kinda wishing the illegals would see the plight their beloved California is in and go to spend money and support their illegal loving friends. I think they would like it so much, they'd stay.

Lets face the facts, California equals welfare and nanny state.
They can not continue to support any boycott of any kind any where!
Who do they think their kidding. Hell, I thought I heard from some one on ATS that they got an IOU instead of their pay check.

The state of California I heard can not afford to fix their cities Side-Walks?
How much is a bag of concrete and a few gallons of water in California?
Hell, They could get that supervisor making $100,000. a year to get his fat a@@ out of his Caltran truck to mix the concrete.

Sorry, Sorry, I'm Ranting Again,,,,,,, Old age !!!!

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Conqueror of Seth
HAHAHA, 25-30 people. Wow, I bet california is sweating bullets right now.

"Omigod, 25-30 people from the Naziest place on Earth aren't coming here, what are we going to do?"
"Same thing as usual, we'll head to the MM Dispensary, medicate, and go on about life as if everything is rad. Because it is"

I understand your MEDICATED most of the time and can't read to well from the Education system in California.

But that was 23 meeting coming to about 10million dollars of losses.
For you Californians that can not comprehend the meaning of this, I'll explain for you.
You are getting closer to Bankruptcy every day. But, Yea,,, That's ok

Because it is all for your good cause. That is, Sanctuary Cities and Open Boarders and the need to feel like some-one likes you.
Most of the rest of America is Laughing at you and your inability to pay your bills.

Sorry, Ignorance and stupidity just irks me.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 11:41 AM
link   
now let me get this correct

the hotel and tourism/service industry is concerned that people won't be coming to CA.
and same said industry is the big employer of illegals (housekeeping, food service, grounds upkeep, etc)
so if they lose $$$ they'd probably have to lay off people..........

hhmmmm.......

dr

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Big whoop.

All Zonies do here anyway is get drunk and cause problems.

Don't need 'em. They can go vacation in New York, where they came from in the first place. Snowbirds tend to have crappy attitudes of entitlement.

For my money, I say California should stop selling our produce to them, let them grow their own.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Another earlier thread exists in the same forum here.

Why not all post comments on that one?

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Existing thread here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add further comments to the ongoing discussion.
Thank you

-thread closed-

for future reference:
Search ATS

top topics

join