It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vt. farmer draws a line at US bid to bolster border..UPDATED

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by daskakik
I'm not breaking the law they are and if I remember correctly they where smuggled in.

Don't tell me you thought no one would play the race game once you mentioned the southern border.

What? Is it wrong for me to identify where the actual problem is?

You need to wake up to reality, Canada is not the problem...the Southern Border is. This administration is full of people who are on the same wavelength of thinking as you by dividing people over race & political correctness. Not focusing on the real issue of the porous Southern Borders.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by g146541

Eminent Domain I do understand but let’s please offer market value and use what we take.

He will get market value. Unfortunately, today's market value is not the same as 4 years ago.

The man can also take it to court to prove the value if higher, if he wins the attorney costs are picked up as well.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by prionace glauca

Well, aren't you proud to break the laws

Your whole thread is based on a law. A law that is legal.

Yet you argue against it. Is that what you consider law abiding to be?

I ask you, Is federal eminent domain legal or not?

You need to wake up to reality, Canada is not the problem...the Southern Border is

Then you should have made your thread about the two borders and not try to use this incident as a reason to bring in the Southern border. People on the Southern border might lose some land under eminent domain as well.

Obviously, this is not the issue you really want to talk about. By the way, should we wait for the Northern border to become a problem or should we prevent the problem from ever happening?

Just imagine if someone had taken proactive, rather than reactive, measures at the Southern Border.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by prionace glauca
What? Is it wrong for me to identify where the actual problem is?

You need to wake up to reality, Canada is not the problem...the Southern Border is. This administration is full of people who are on the same wavelength of thinking as you by dividing people over race & political correctness. Not focusing on the real issue of the porous Southern Borders.

Nothing wrong with you identifying a real problem but the story in the (your) OP is about peoples land being taken away through the use of eminent domain. That is the topic and you immediatly put an immigration spin on it. What did you expect to happen?

I have no problem with racists or people who say what they want. People (in my opinion) are free to be as racist and outspoken as they want.

I don't need to wake up to reality you need to wake up and realize that the people don't run anything in the US. The government runs you.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

Did you care to read the article or just ramble on for the sake of trolling?

Its not the question about the government using eminent domain, but their use of eminent domain in an area where there are no dangers for illegal crossing.

You think the Norther Border is going to be a problem.

The Canadian LE's do a far more capable job of preventing illegal crossings than the Mexican LE's who not only provide Pamphlets on how to cross illegally but also require illegals to pay for allowing them to cross illegally.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Nothing wrong with you identifying a real problem but the story in the (your) OP is about peoples land being taken away through the use of eminent domain. That is the topic and you immediatly put an immigration spin on it. What did you expect to happen?

I have no problem with racists or people who say what they want. People (in my opinion) are free to be as racist and outspoken as they want.

I don't need to wake up to reality you need to wake up and realize that the people don't run anything in the US. The government runs you.

My OP is not only about this farmer's land being taken away. Obviously that is all you seem to highlight. It is the missed priorities of this government to appropriate funds to a non hostile situation when there are several border crossing that could use the same funds and more man power.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

Being a law abiding citizen doesn't mean that this family should sit idly by and allow the government to take their property without paying them a fair and decent price for it.

This family has owned this property for over 60 years and run a business off of it. The land in question provides 1,000 bales of hay to feed their animals. Now the government comes along and says it's worth less than $40,000 to us and that's what we're gonna give you. So the family will have to spend over $3,200 to feed those animals, when they have alwasy been able to grow that hay themselves. That amount of money will be gone in 12 years, less if the price of hay goes up. What do they do when that money is gone ? They shouldn't be forced into a situation that will cause them to have a financial burden where there was none before. Especially so the government can spend $8 million to upgrade this low volume port that could be closed down and spend the $8 million on a port that needs it more.

If the government wants the land then they should pay a very fair price, taking into account that the land has been in the family for three generations (over 60 years) and the fac t that it will cause a financial hardship on a family and a business in an area where there was none before.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Its not the question about the government using eminent domain, but their use of eminent domain in an area where there are no dangers for illegal crossing.

It doesn't matter the reason. IT IS LEGAL. You keep talking crap about how people should respect the laws of the US.

Well, here is your chance. Respect it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You think the Norther Border is going to be a problem.

Guess now you have ESP and can predict the future.

It is simple, proactive or reactive? When one is reactive, they usually playing catch up.

Once again, are you for protecting America or not?

If you think protecting America is by closing one border, I highly recommend you quit supporting the cartels with your money.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by chise61

Being a law abiding citizen doesn't mean that this family should sit idly by and allow the government to take their property without paying them a fair and decent price for it.

No, it doesn't. But usually what the government offers is a negotiating price. Most of the negotiating will ultimately be done via the process involving appraisers from both sides.

It is a bum deal and the Supreme Court giving their blessings haven't helped matter. I personally have lobbied several times about this issue ever since I got pushed out for an Eckard's drug store.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Well I focus on the taking of the land because that is the main part of the story you pointed out.

The inefficient use of funds is something you decided to throw in which was a valid point but saying they should look at the southern border is trolling your own post cause you know well enough that all those you disagree with will chip in their 2 cents and run in that direction. So, you derailed your own thread.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   

So, you derailed your own thread.

I beg to differ, the thread has been on point besides the race baiters who keep trying to make this a "brown" issue. Other than that 99% percent of those replies posted on point.

Thanks for participating,

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Have any of you stood at the border between Canada and the United States ?
We share the longest undefended border on the planet, and have border crossings in very few places along the 8,891 kilometers that it stretches.

Much of our common border is nothing more than a three strand barbed wire fence on a farmer's field to keep our livestock separated.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/6fe2bd21cf6f.jpg[/atsimg]
Try and secure that..........

I can enter the US by just running across a farmer's field in Manitoba or Saskatchewan and you'd never know. There's no signage, no patrols, just a few strands of cattle fence for hundreds of kilometers in any direction.

Canada really needs to spend billions to secure this weak barrier to keep all you Americans from running the damn guns and drugs up into our country.:shk:

EDIT: Still learning my spelling.

[edit on 17/5/2010 by anxietydisorder]

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by anxietydisorder

Got a chuckle out of your post. Thanks for that.

You forgot to mention about our daily murder rate that those farmers are committing every day by driving their tractors to the local hangouts and shooting everyone.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 04:49 PM
link   

reply to post by anxietydisorder

Got a chuckle out of your post. Thanks for that.

You forgot to mention about our daily murder rate that those farmers are committing every day by driving their tractors to the local hangouts and shooting everyone.

Again you draw the comparison between canadian farmers and criminals crossing the southern border. Stop trolling your own thread or at least stop complaining when others do the same.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Again you draw the comparison between canadian farmers and criminals crossing the southern border. Stop trolling your own thread or at least stop complaining when others do the same.

I am trolling...

Please go read the OP and my response after wards. I am making the same points as I made before. But continue to debate otherwise.

The farmers are a lot more lethal than the criminals coming in waves from down south.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Good lord! Now they can say they are doing something about our wide open borders without actually DOING anything worthwhile.

I hate these people more and more every flippin' day.

link   
At some point the whole system is going have to be looked at. We have terrorists with green cards, terrorists who are illegal. Some come through the borders, some through visas, and some through the waterways. Protecting or closing one border is not going to solve the issue. They will merely use the other ways.

prionace glauca, I can tell your issue is with illegals not terrorist. Because if it was about terrorists, you would be lobbying for all our borders to be secured equally.

Are you concerned about terrorists or not?

Furthermore, what do you propose for the 50% of illegals who come in legally and overstay their visas?

Should we close down the visa program?

America's top counterterror official says "more than a dozen" people tied to Al Qaeda, Hezbollah and other extremists have tried to infiltrate the U.S. since the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks.

But they weren't caught swimming the Rio Grande from Mexico, Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff told the Daily News in a recent interview.

"More Canada than Mexico, to be honest with you," he said.

Chertoff talked exclusively to The News in his Gulfstream jet on a trip from Washington to New York City last week.

"It's been much more than a dozen" who tried to enter the U.S. from Canada, he said, but they were stopped for links to "a mix" of terror groups through finances, family or spy intercepts.

www.nydailynews.com...

link   
reply to post by jam321

You're right the supreme hasn't helped these type of situations at all.

IMO the government isn't starting with anywhere near a fair negotiating price. They need to do more than just appraise the land. They also need to appraise what this land means to the family and their business, as well as any financial burdens they will face because of this intended land grab.

I'm sorry to hear that you were pushed out so a drug store could go up. If your property was taken through eminant domain I don't see how that was legal being that eminant domain's intended purpose was for public use of the land. A drug store going up is not public use, it's private use.

We went through a similar situation on my block several years ago. We lost many good neighbors due to eminant domain. They took our neighbors houses so they could build a parking lot for the teachers, and a playground for the students . The students don't even get recess, they never come outside of that school during school hours, what a waste

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Common Good

I dont see Canadians comming in by the thousands each day, so wtf are we concerned about them for AT THIS MOMENT?I do agree that we should make the north border just as secure as the southern borders(should be),
but at this point in time, it really is second vote compared to the Mexican border.

Excuse me - - but just how would you recognize a Canadian illegal?

Go look up statistics on drugs coming over the Canadian border.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 05:01 PM
link   

I am trolling...

Please go read the OP and my response after wards. I am making the same points as I made before. But continue to debate otherwise.

The farmers are a lot more lethal than the criminals coming in waves from down south.

Well the story you used to launch this thread is about terrorist threat coming through the northern border and how this was used to take some peoples land away.

Everything else seems to be you putting an immigration spin on it whether you see it as such or not.

Thank you for just another pointless immigration thread.

[edit on 17-5-2010 by daskakik]

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join