It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CCTV footage shows hero foiling Leeds bookmaker hold-up

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 08:25 AM
link   

CCTV footage shows hero foiling Leeds bookmaker hold-up

news.bbc.co.uk

CCTV video shows Azar Sulman enter the bookmakers in Burley holding what appears to be a handgun.

After threatening the cashier, he tries to leave the shop, but is blocked by Martin Richardson, who hits him twice with a chair and holds him to the ground until police arrive.

Mr Richardson told BBC reporter Chris Buckler he thought he was going to be shot, so he "hit him (the robber) twice with a chair".
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 08:25 AM
link   
I had a quick look around, and haven't seen this posted yet, so I thought I'd post it here.

I think we all like to see selfish criminals getting their comeuppance from Joe Public, and this is just another example of it.

We'd also like to think that we'd act in this manner under similar circumstances, but it's easy to say that from a position away from danger - doing so in the heat of the moment is a different story altogether.

I commend Mr. Richardson for his bravery, and I hope this kind of footage encourages more members of the public to take action against criminals when they witness them in the process of committing a crime.

news.bbc.co.uk

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 08:58 AM
link   
I agree that the Richardson is a brave man - but quite frankly I am waiting to hear when he is going to be charged with assault. Or he will be sued by the gunman.

Isn't that what happens these days?

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 09:04 AM
link   
This man was lucky HE DIDNT GET SHOT.
He would have been as good as dead if he had missed with that chair, orif the robber was actually paying more attention.
This could have easily been on the news of
"a brave man who died for trying to be a hero".

Though what he did was brave, IMO it was very very stupid.
Criminals have nothing to lose, thats why they are criminals in the first place.
They dont give a damn about someone who is trying to put a stop to (in their mind) their own survival.

IF ANY OF YOU, are EVER in this position, please, dont be stupid like this man was, it could cost you your life.

You life is not worth the $100 kept in the cash register.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Conspiracy Chicks fan !

We'd also like to think that we'd act in this manner under similar circumstances, but it's easy to say that from a position away from danger - doing so in the heat of the moment is a different story altogether.

news.bbc.co.uk

This is a very wise a true statement. If you do not live by a principle to guide you in your split second decisions, your body will do a fine job at self preservation and keep you alive. Self preservation does not consist of defending other animals.

In order to behave in a gallant and heroic way, one must live without a care of seeing another day, and willing to throw one'self into harms way to protect another animal.

Only once one has disabled the self preservation instinct on a day to day basis, can one ever hope to do something like what the man in this article did.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 09:26 AM
link   
have you seen this guy he's massive gun or no gun i wouldnt like to try my luck. good on him.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 09:34 AM
link   
If i were in Richardsons position I would have just opened the door, the bookies are insured and its not worth getting shot over. However, Richardson is built like a brick sh&t house, so probably has a different mindset when it comes to dealing with petty criminals. Fair play to him, he must of fancied his chances gun or no gun.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by deltaalphanovember

it wouldnt suprise me if he had been charged. sad wen you end up the crimminal for protecting your family or property but thats the sick world we live in. its good this guy was rewarded by the judge for his actions and the police have reccomended him for a bravery award.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Weird... I met this guy yesterday in Woodhouse cricket club in Leeds. The guy is absolutely massive and has become somewhat of a local celebrity in his area. Seems quite a jolly fella, but I certainly wouldn't want to get on the wrong side of him.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
If i were in Richardsons position I would have just opened the door, the bookies are insured and its not worth getting shot over.

It's certainly a practical position to take, but I feel that the money that was stolen and the fact that the bookies were insured is irrelevant to the principle of the matter.
I strongly believe in the saying: ''All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing''.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Happyfeet
Only once one has disabled the self preservation instinct on a day to day basis, can one ever hope to do something like what the man in this article did.

I totally agree.
If I'm honest ( and I'm not ashamed to admit ), in a similar situation I would probably freeze. But, I have no doubt that I can become stronger and braver by gradual work on my thought patterns and my general ethos in life.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Common Good

A lot of robberies in the UK are carried out using imitation handguns - not that you'd want to take any chances.
Also, a lot of these people that go around brandishing them aren't used to someone fighting back. They rely on the fact that everybody in the shop will be too terrified, and they get away with their robbery.

The robber himself, may not have been prepared or wanted to use it, because amongst other things, there is a sizeable difference in sentences between armed robbery and murder.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 05:05 PM
link   
The ONLY reason that this brave but stupid man is alive is because the robber used a toy gun. Had it been a real pistol , I'm pretty sure the outcome would have been different. My only reasoning for this stupid act is that he realized the gun was a fake and took action. Americans , please don't try to imitate this man if you are in similar circumstances because criminals HERE have REAL guns... and if the government gets its way , Just like the UK.... they will be the ONLY ones with guns.

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by 80r0m1r
Weird... I met this guy yesterday in Woodhouse cricket club in Leeds. The guy is absolutely massive and has become somewhat of a local celebrity in his area. Seems quite a jolly fella, but I certainly wouldn't want to get on the wrong side of him.

Richardson actually has form and served times for a shoot-out himself. He's also a bouncer in and around the Leeds area so sure he's clued up and fancied the robber wasn't much up for it.

He's known in Rugby circles for being a complete lunatic and his son(Ryan Bailey) plays for the Leeds Rhinos and has represented England

A nice bloke by all accounts though

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by deltaalphanovember

yes i see head lines now local man accosted with chair leads to extreme chair control laws . floor pillow sales on an upswing in antichair vest for bobbies. i recemtly heard of a man in enfland who returned home from vacation to find a group of foreign men squatting in his house he ran them out and he got charges .

new topics

top topics

join