It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study: ADHD linked to pesticide exposure

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Study: ADHD linked to pesticide exposure

Exposure to the pesticides, known as organophosphates, has been linked to behavioral and cognitive problems in children in the past, but previous studies have focused on communities of farm workers and other high-risk populations. This study is the first to examine the effects of exposure in the population at large

Organophosphates are "designed" to have toxic effects on the nervous system, says the lead author of the study, Maryse Bouchard, Ph.D., a researcher in the department of environmental and occupational health at the University of Montreal. "That's how they kill pests."

The pesticides act on a set of brain chemicals closely related to those involved in ADHD, Bouchard explains, "so it seems plausible that exposure to organophosphates could be associated with ADHD-like symptoms."

Great quote and yet we still use it. Im sure the government and the USDA, FDA all knew about this. im sure it does worse things, its probably sterlizing an entire population or altering our DNA. Its why I try to always go organic (NO PESTICIDES!)

Remember to try and protect our children, dont feed them posion!

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 08:39 AM
link   

not much else i can say since my brother is.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by truth?

Got to love Obama's appointment than.

Obama's Recess Appointments Include Pesticide-Pushing Trade Rep

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Yea I had read that, its horrible. I love how we crack down on drugs because theyre 'dangerous' but we create and cover our food with harder and more dangerous toxins. The people that create this # should be behind bars, poisoning our food and our water and our children. Its irresponsible

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 09:15 AM
link   
A study funded by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and published in the September 2005 issue of Environmental Health Perspectives shows eating organic foods provides children with “dramatic and immediate” protection from exposure to two organophosphate pesticides that have been linked to harmful neurological effects in humans.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Well there definitely seems to be a link between pesticides and ADHD, but I think there's many more reasons for becoming attention deficit and hyperactive. Problems with the gut can limit absorption of nutrients needed to create enzymes which make our body function properly. I think ADHD is generally a byproduct of an overall toxic load on the mind that can't be rid of properly. Like every other diseased state, it's probably a combination of genetic propensities interacting with environmental factors like diet.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Id agree with that to some extent. Im sure certain people are for more genetically inclined to have ADD, ADHD, depression, etc BUT i also feel that all the toxins in the food we eat are contributing to it.

Say naturally you have a 20% chance of having ADD, combine that with all the pesticides and chemicals in food (im looking at you high fructose corn syrup and MSG) and your whole body is thrown off. Your insulin is spiking, the pesticides are messing up your nervous system. Id say now you have an 80% chance and its not your fault. You didnt purposely eat poison, but you have little say in the matter. And now your DNA is modified, yo will pass that down via your genes, and if youre a woman you will pass the poison down to your womb and your baby will drink it via your breast milk.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 09:40 AM
link   
I have been screaming this to everyone I know for a while now......
almost 70% of our foods have geneticall modified ingredients in them. Mostly corn GM corn is poisen itself, any part of the corn that a bug eats will kill it. BUT WE ARE EATING IT TO!!!!!!!!!
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by truth?

I was with you until you wrote that your DNA would be modified and you would pass it down to your kids. I don't think that's how it works. The pesticides may change your epigenetics via up/down regulation, but it this in itself won't mutate your genes to where you pass down the ADHD. It just means that if your kids inherit these same genetic propensities, they will have the same results if they have a diet which includes these same pesticides.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by concerned190

GMCs are HORRIBLE!!!! I totally agree with you there.

How do i post a picture? I have a cool table but i dont know how to post it... oh well heres the link

That shows how prevalent pesticides are in EVERYTHING we eat

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 03:46 AM
link   
When i read your thread title i was astonished.

Ok then let me tell you something which will back this story up... When i was young, i ran through a crop field which had been sprayed in pesticide, i remember feelings of being light headed and itchy. Now I look back and realise that, that was the point in life where my life would become harder because now i recently discovered i got ADHD.

That memory of running through the field is still potent because my whole body was itchy, eyes, nose and throat. I didn't know which part of me to itch. I was in bits after running through that field. I also beleive its where i started hayfever.

Thankyou so much for your thread.

[edit on 23-7-2010 by jonnyc55]

top topics

join