It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Labour's farewell letter exposed , "Is not money left"

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 09:22 AM
link   
the guy that wrote the letter has come foward to say he was joking. does anyone els see the funny side cuz i dont. joke my arse!

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by nik1halo
Well, from what i've read so far, a lot of the savings are going in the right places. The bonuses and extreme wages of the people at the top of the financial, health and government sectors. They've even cut their own wages down I believe, all of which is a good start.

You don't think this is a case of a bit of token "Leading by example" I mean you guys get some cuts sure. But this little emergency budget is only offering up £6bn in cuts, which doesn't even begin to address the full scale of the deficit.

There will need to be more cuts and I've no doubt the new government is getting ready to make some very tough choices right now that are going to be unpopular to say the least.

This could give them something to point to when that happens. "Look public servants took the cuts too"

[edit on 17-5-2010 by belial259]

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by thoughtsfull

Unfortunately, I think you're probably right. Coming from the West Midlands, I've seen industry almost completely collapse in this country, with many friends losing jobs at Rover and Jaguar in Birmingham. About the only thing we've got left from the tens of thousands of manufacturing companies we had in the area is the steel and weapons industries. Pretty much all the car manufacturing, engineering and electronics industries have gone.

I think the damage is done when it comes to financial growth through manufacturing, we can only hope someone comes up with something to fill the void.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 09:32 AM
link   

I have to say that I think if any one thing comes from this coallition it will be that there will be more honesty, because each party is going to be keeping an eye on the other, Maybe I'm being a little naive, but it's certain that we're already learning more in the past few days than we ever did over the past 13 years and we're not too happy about it either!

It's very easy to be honest about what a bad job the last government did but I wouldn't count on them being as forthcoming about it when they or their partner f*** something up.

[edit on 17/5/10 by pieman]

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by belial259

Oh, I'm sure you're totally right, but at least they are leading by example. I'm in no doubt that there will have to be huge cuts made and tax rises. You're either deluding yourself or a fool if you think there is any other way out of it, it's just unfortunate that the people fixing the problem will undoubtably be the ones having to take the flack for the decisions they are forced into, rather than the people who caused it in the first place.

We're in for a hard few years, but we've done it before and come through fine. We're a hardy bunch over here. We'll bitch and moan and whinge (that's our favourite past-time), but ultimately, we'll just get on with it and do what needs to be done.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by pieman

It's very easy to be honest about what a bad job the last government did but I wouldn't count on them being as forthcoming about it when they or their partner f*** something up.

[edit on 17/5/10 by pieman]

Haha, very true!

I just think that they will police eachother to a point. They might be all buddy-buddy at the moment, but the old rivalries are still there and I think that if one member f**** up, then the other party (as long as they were not involved) will be there to make them fess up, if only to strengthen their own party's publicity as being ther "honest" party.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Does anybody have a link of the comment now been made as a joke?, I think if is was a joke it was a joke in bad taste.

Because even the Markets news in the US CNBC posted this news first thing this morning as something to be worry about over the UK.

Perhaps the damage control team is working to ease the fears.

[edit on 17-5-2010 by marg6043]

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 09:48 AM
link   

reply to post by thoughtsfull

Unfortunately, I think you're probably right. Coming from the West Midlands, I've seen industry almost completely collapse in this country, with many friends losing jobs at Rover and Jaguar in Birmingham. About the only thing we've got left from the tens of thousands of manufacturing companies we had in the area is the steel and weapons industries. Pretty much all the car manufacturing, engineering and electronics industries have gone.

I think the damage is done when it comes to financial growth through manufacturing, we can only hope someone comes up with something to fill the void.

Problem is that it is the picture the nation over, we ran 5 ferries and 1 Hydrafoil from here 5 years ago, now there is one ferry, and the French company the owns the port is threatening to close it unless they get what they want.

The tories sold the port and Labour continued where they left off, unless the new lot try something difference we'll be facing not only difficult times but also a lot of civil unrest.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Why not just pull up stumps and move to Australia. Not only is the food and climate better but we weathered the global financial crisis better than any other westernized country. Comparatively speaking, Australia is in great shape!

Englishmen, Scots and the Irish are always welcome here!

IRM

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Does anybody have a link of the comment now been made as a joke?, I thing if is was a joke it was a joke in bad taste.

Because even the Markets news in the US CNBC posted this news first thing this morning as something to be worry about over the UK.

Perhaps the damage control team is working to ease the fears.

here is a link and paragraph in question

business.timesonline.co.uk...

The letter - which Mr Byrne claims was meant to be humorous - represents a sign of the stark challenges facing the new Coalition Government to reduce Britain's record £163 billion budget deficit.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Does anybody have a link of the comment now been made as a joke?, I thing if is was a joke it was a joke in bad taste.

the Daily mail link in your OP says it;

Mr Byrne insisted the message was meant as a private joke: 'My letter was a joke, from one Chief Secretary to another,' he said.

The new guy knew what he was doing, the markets now have a month to mull over the fact that the UK is broke before the emergency budget, there will be a decline because of it but this decline won't be as bad as the shock which the budget might cause coming out of the blue.

This is a "softening up exercise" but the fact that it's a month in advance suggests that things are really, really bad.

Still, they must have some money in the coffers, there's 100 new peers to pay for. Who needs teachers and nurses, right?

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by InfaRedMan

IRM

But not the Welsh, they can go to New Zealand with all the other sheep shaggers

I'm so getting a warning, but it's worth it.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by pieman

100 Peers, well there goes the last £25bn in quantative easing

But your right we are stuffed... without major, fundemental changes.. and lots of pain.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 09:58 AM
link   
its better not to print money to solve your financial problems. Because really, all your doing is screwing over everyone with a dollar in their pocket because you ran out.

Funny how people think you can print away the crisis. *continues digging grave*

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 09:59 AM
link   

IRM

Speak for yourself mate. I've already got enough trouble finding a parking spot. Almost the whole world aside from Australia will be crushed by austerity measures coming out of this sovereign debt crisis. We can't help them all. We can't take them all in. And if we do we'll be cutting our own throats.

Getting swamped by millions of Brits and Yanks is no better than getting swamped by millions of Asians or Muslims.

Australia is a prime destination for just about everyone at the moment, and as things get worse overseas it's going to put us under a lot of pressure. We mustn't let ourselves fall into the same boat.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Why not just pull up stumps and move to Australia. Not only is the food and climate better but we weathered the global financial crisis better than any other westernized country. Comparatively speaking, Australia is in great shape!

IRM

Funny you should say that, cause there are LOADS of Aussies over here!
I'm always asking my Aussie mates why the hell they're over here, when it seems so much nicer over there.

If it was an option for me, believe me I would up sticks in an instant. Unfortunately, I have responsibilities keeping me tied to the UK. Hell I wouldn't mind moving to a different part of the country, but even that is not possible for me at the moment.

One day....

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Thanks everybody, even when is joke the reality of the deficit in the UK is real.

Now the deficit is no as big as the ones we got in the US by the federal government but the combine states deficit is over 123 trillion dollars, now is no way in hell that US will get out of such a hole.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by SPACEYstranger
its better not to print money to solve your financial problems. Because really, all your doing is screwing over everyone with a dollar in their pocket because you ran out.

Funny how people think you can print away the crisis. *continues digging grave*

The money printing (IMHO) was only to buy the establishment time... and it seems they have completly wasted that time when they could have been trying to generate a bit of growth and wealth with the cash they threw around.

You could almost assume they where expecting some kind of event/tech/war to come along that changed the game...

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Thanks ever body, even when is joke the reality of the deficit in the UK is real.

Now the deficit is no as big as the ones we got in the US by the federal government but the combine states deficit is over 123 trillion dollars, now is no way in hell that US will get out of such a hole.

$123 trillion?

Is that all? I'll just have a quick look down the back of the couch, back in a minute!

[edit on 17-5-2010 by nik1halo]

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by SPACEYstranger

Also, printing money was talked about here in the UK back when the banks collapsed, but they decided against it, as it would only serve to weaken the value of the Pound on an international level.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join