It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How To See Into The Past

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 04:49 AM
link   
This may seem like something out of a science fiction movie, but please allow me to continue. I'm not going to use claims of "meditation" "chi" "psychics" or etc. to illustrate my theory just basic math. Seeing into the past is not at all impossible whatsoever. In fact it is technically, physically, and mathematically a reality.

Every night when we look at the stars in the sky, most of us stand in "awe," and with very good reason. Depending on the light pollution where you're located, you can see countless amounts of stars in the sky. When you sit and critically think about the physics of the universe, there is nothing you can do but to be in "awe," or you theorize in your own perspective about things. Mathematically speaking, intelligent life, let alone life in general, exists else where in the universe. Despite the fact, if "THEY" have been here is open for other discussions held everyday, here and elsewhere.

Well, I kind of rambled so allow me to get to my point. I'm going to use basic laws of science and math to illustrate my point.

When you look at the stars, the light you see isn't being emitted at that moment. The light you see was emitted billions if not trillions of years ago, depending on how far away they are. The closer the star, the brighter it is (as all of us know.) Even the suns light takes under 9 minutes reach the Earth. The photons of the stars have just traveled here to the now for our perspective to perceive. The reason why that the light is able to make it here is because "space" has an absence of light and gravity.

"You see there are billions of stars in the sky, but when the sun appears none are visible to the eye. Why?" - KRS ONE

The beauty of photons is that photons don't fade off, they keep going and going and going. Light just seems dimmer as it goes away, due to perspective. Energy Can't Be Created or Destroyed (Law of Conservation of Energy.) Sir Isaac Newton's 1st Law of Motion (Law of Inertia) states that an object at rest stays at rest unless acted upon by an unbalanced force. An object in motion continues in motion with the same speed and same direction unless acted upon by an unbalanced force.

The reason why that the lights in your house can't be seen individually from the other part of your city or town is because there are other lights around to dim them out. But if the fluorescent lights in a class room are the only lights around and all other lights were off, then those specific lights would be seen from miles and miles away (you get my point.)

So to the point of everything...

Say we wanted to check the accuracy of the New Testament (just using so as an example) about the crucifixion of Jesus Christ. We would need to use some basic physics and math for the first part. I'll use Wikipedia for the dates of Christ since, the years or his existence have been questioned. (that subject isn't for debate here)

First:

Jesus was born around 7bc - 2bc and died around 26ad-36ad.

The current year is 2010ad.

The Speed of Light is 299, 792, 458 meters / second. (denoted as c).

The distance that light travels in a year is a Light Year. (denoted as ly).

A Light Year is 9.4605284 x 10^15 meters / year, or 9,454,254,955,488,000 meters / year.

Now to do the math:

2010 - 35 = 1975

1975ly = 18,672,153,537,088,800,00 meters

or 18,672,153,537,088,800 kilometers

So if we wanted to watch the crucifixion of Jesus we would need to send a satellite / telescope 18,672,153,537,088,800 kilometers away from Earth and look at Earth as in the Hubble Telescope does for other stars. Give or take the time it takes to get there as a factor.

py = Present Year ey= Year of Event

Formula:

(py - ey)ly = Distance Required to View the Past.

*Note: The time it takes for the satellite / telescope to travel through space to get to that point is a factor that depends on the speed of the traveling technology to get there. So that must be added to the py so you can get to where you want your perspective to be.

How can we get the telescope there? Hermann Weyl's wormhole theory? Take Equivalent antimatter and matter and harness the energy? I don't know, all I'm saying is that it is possible to look back in time.

Please note that the technology for this to be a possible doesn't exist yet. How would we get it there? We would need sevenfold of generations to partake in it. For nothing in the "visible" spectrum can't travel faster than the speed of light. However technology is developing faster and faster as we speak and think. Remember back in 1973 when Dr. Martin Cooper created the Motorola DynaTAC handheld wireless cellular phone which weighed 1000 grams. Now 34 years later Apple came out with the iPhone which has a color touch screen and weighs just 136.08 grams and can get on the internet and do much more. (You get the point)

So who is to say that in the future, possible in our life time, that we might be able to Look Into The Past, not travel through, but Look Through Time.

It's All About Perspective,

MD

[edit to ad: or we can hit record and just record as the satellite gets farther away.]

[edit on 17-5-2010 by elfulanozutan0]

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 05:43 AM
link   
You have good points, interesting thread here.
However i got confused about one thing.
You said "Jesus was born around 7bc - 2bc"
How could he have born 7 years Before Christ?
Wouldn't it supposed to be something more like 0BC?
Other than that, this is something i will pass along to my friends, good post!

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 06:03 AM
link   
reply to post by kr0ss

How could he have born 7 years Before Christ?

In short, it's a calender error, due to the differences between the Gregorian and Julian calenders.

Another thing is that the BC/AD was determined based on the best evidence that was available centuries ago. Since then, more data has been uncovered which has pushed Christ's birth back and instead of changing our calender, we just say Christ was born before the calender says he was.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 06:12 AM
link   
Reminds me of an very similar idea I had, though equally impossible with today's technology. Based on a finite speed of light, and based on the fact that black holes completely warp light in a vortex fashion, there will be at least one point in which a collection of photons will be redirected back to their original source. Hypothetically, if we could capture these redirected photons, and determine exactly how far they traveled, we could literally watch history unfold precisely as it happened.

Of course this would require an incomprehensibly efficient mechanism for capturing light, as well as the ability to find enough black holes in our near vicinity. I know it's not exactly practical though... at all.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 07:04 AM
link   
this is exactly the kind of stuff i like to think about while puffin on a j. this is good stuff guys! and also, the subject matter of this thread aint bad, either! he he...

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 07:14 AM
link   
reply to post by elfulanozutan0

I don't know if it would work...photons can keep travelling forever, but do you really think that's likely to happen? Chances are, 90% of the light from the crucifixion (if it happened), has collided with other matter along the way, and it has become disrupted and disturbed to the point where you wouldn't be able to produce an image of reasonable clarity from the light, let alone sort out the photons you want from all the rest. It's a technically viable way of seeing into the past, but it wont get you there.

[edit on 17/5/10 by CHA0S]

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 07:19 AM
link   
Thanks for one of the better threads recently. S&F.

Guess we wait for FTL.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Light just seems dimmer as it goes away, due to perspective.

The light gets dimmer due to the absorption of some of the photons by interstellar dust and gas.

This is really the problem why we can't see far back in time locally here on earth, although, if we get better mirrors, we could probably see further back in time than we do now.

At the moment, one can simply trap the light between two mirrors, such as in a laser. With our current technology, a small fraction of light is lost each time the light hits a mirror, but even with our poor mirrors, we can still see a few seconds back in time using this method.

If we had 100% (and perfectly flat) reflective mirrors, we could capture the light forever, like a video recording of the past. Problem is, once we watch it once, the info is all gone...

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 07:24 AM
link   
reply to post by elfulanozutan0

Neat!
I'll trust you on the calculi, but the idea is really nice. Ah... In a perfect world, there would be reflective massive objects in space from which we could "retrieve" the images of the past.
Maybe it bounces off planets ( light reflected from earth ) and some day, we will be able to "filter" it all... and see things we thought were only souvenirs...
Good work!

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 07:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Saurus

The light gets dimmer due to the absorption of some of the photons by interstellar dust and gas.
Yes, if a photon collides with just one atom, the entire photon could be absorbed by an electron. Good bye photon.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Isn't this the same theory that allows us to know when a star exploded or a pulsar formed.... when we see it in a telescope we know when it would have happened based on the mathematics of how long it takes us to actually be able to witness an event in the universe that has already happened.... ?

I'm not explaining that too well. It's early and this is my "pre-coffee" cognitive abilities.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Nice theory and seems plausible. I have also thought about this. That would have to be one powerful telescope though.

Also you said.

The light you see was emitted billions if not trillions of years ago, depending on how far away they are.

I don't think it is trillions since science says the universe is only around 20 billion years old. But who can really know for sure.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Star distances are estimated based on the "Standard Candle" method.

With the closest stars, we are able to accurately measure the distance using geometry, by forming a triangle made up of two lines from the star to the earth when the earth is on opposite sides of the sun (the third line being the diameter of the earth's orbit) and measuring the angle between those two lines.

Then, we use the brightness of known stars called standard candles. A standard candle is a class of astrophysical objects, such as supernovae or variable stars, which have known luminosity due to some characteristic quality possessed by the entire class of objects.

Finally, it has been observed experimentally that the apparent magnitude of these standard candles (the brightness that we see) decreases linearly over distance, because for every so many light years, the apparent magnitude drops by the same amount, due to absorption by interstellar dust and gas.

Thus, we can estimate the distance to stars which are too far to be measured by parallax (because the angle on the triangle is too small to measure.)

The problem with this method is that it has to make an assumption that the interstellar gas and dust is spread uniformly throughout the universe. If this is not the case, it may account for the discrepancy that the earth is 14 billion years old, do to distance estimations, but only 8 billion years due to calculations based on the speed of movement through the universe.

[edit on 17/5/2010 by Saurus]

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 08:06 AM
link   
In physics, time is described as a dimension much like length, width, and height. When you travel from your house to the grocery store, you’re traveling through a direction in space, making headway in all the spatial dimensions—length, width and height. But you’re also traveling forward in time, the fourth dimension.

Space and time are tangled together in a sort of a four-dimensional fabric called space-time.

Space-time, can be thought of as a piece of spandex with four dimensions. When something that has mass—you and I, an object, a planet, or any star—sits in that piece of four-dimensional spandex, it causes it to create a dimple. “That dimple is a manifestation of space-time bending to accommodate this mass.”

The bending of space-time causes objects to move on a curved path and that curvature of space is what we know as gravity.

Mathematically one can go backwards or forwards in the three spatial dimensions. But time doesn’t share this multi-directional freedom.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Taking all of the presented data into account, would current technology, or near future technology allow us to see days, maybe weeks, into the past?

Which could be used for law enforcement, in that they could look back at a recent crime and gather necessary details.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Probably already mentioned in previous threads...

But using your satellite method the satellite would have to travel faster than the speed of light and hence go back in time.

Either that or aliens could send those images back to us.

It's funny though.

I just wrote about this topic in my "Alexander Higgins Theory of Everyting"

I've had some of these ideas for years, since I was a teenager actually.

I hope others find it interesting, and this seems like a good place to get feed back.

http://(nolink)/2010/05/17/alexander-higgins-theory/

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 10:31 AM
link   
This has always been one of my favourite thought-topics, especially in my younger days when i was partial to the odd J too

I always figured that if you could teleport yourself to that place where the light photons now were, then you could watch the events unfold like controlling a video player. If you stopped still when you got there, then you would watch the event in 'real-time' (which is a bit of an oxymoron considering the topic under discussion!). You could 'fast-forward' through the event by moving rapidly towards it, and 'freeze-frame' it by moving away at the speed of light (i.e. the same speed as the photons). If you could travel away from the event faster than the speed of light, then you would start to see the event unfurl backwards as you would be catching up with the light that had passed before.

What always intrigued me for the last option, was what happens if you turn around 180deg and look the other way - one way time would appear to be running backwards, and the other way interminably fast.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by lpowell0627

It is the same theory. I was just saying instead of viewing stars from Earth, what would it be like if we viewed the Earth from the stars.

The time of Christs crucifixion may of already been absorbed by other electrons or photons but that could have been in one direction, you could get a view from a different direction. I was using this example since it is a subject of debate and this theory could settle the debate. You could use it for any other event of your liking.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Shadows in Silence

You should read a short story by Isaac Asimov; I think it's called the Dead Past.

In that story a character asks "When does the past start?"
His answer was it starts right at the present. If such technology could be used to find criminals it could be used to spy on the innocent also.

Here's to a better tommorrow people!! DARE TO HOPE!!!

new topics

top topics

join