It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why New Zealand is a lifestyle superpower

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 01:40 AM
link   

Take its televised coverage of Test cricket, where the commentators convene during the tea interval at a picnic table on the boundary. With quaint fastidiousness, they enjoy a pot of tea.

The stunning surroundings of Davies Park cricket ground near Queenstown
In other ways, though, New Zealand can be edgy and forward-thinking.
It was the first country to grant women the vote, and the first nation to see females occupy every high office of state

Next year it hosts the Rugby World Cup, but for now I will leave this country with my usual parting thought: "Why can't the rest of the world be more like New Zealand?"

Source

While I am not all that fussed on the Haka myself and I hate the idea of Carbon Trading Emission Scheme the article still fills me with pride . As a Kiwi it is a brilliant reminder of just how lucky we are to have an all inclusive society and how important it is to keep it that way .

Cheers xpert11 .

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 01:41 AM
link   
I plan to move to NZ when I'm older. I honestly think it is way better than Australia, despite how much people hate me for saying that.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 01:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Nventual

Tried them both, and ended up coming back to NZ. It's a beautiful place and there's just something comforting about it that makes me feel at home.

(nothing against ozzy though!)

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 01:49 AM
link   
I found the place kind of boring, but not a bad place to live. I rate it about equal to the quality of life in any northern European country. I have lived in Germany. France, Korea, Japan and spent a lot of time in NZ/ Aus and many other countries, I’m happy right here in the USA.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 01:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by xpert11
As a Kiwi it is a brilliant reminder of just how lucky we are to have an all inclusive society and how important it is to keep it that way .

Cheers xpert11 .

I agree with you totally X.
As an Aussie, if I was to go and live anywhere on the planet (other than oZ), it would only be to Kiwi Land.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 01:56 AM
link   
I moved from scotland to new zealand. and im torn! the people and scenery are awesome in NZ but its the same in scotland. in nz tho you get surf sun and babes

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 02:29 AM
link   
reply to post by xpert11

New Zealand has a fantastic scenery und some lovely people,but after 6 years living here I still think NZ is a Third World country.Its like the little brother,who wants to impress his bigger sibling(Australia,US and Europe),so everything needs to be"world class"or it is considered failure.
I live in Auckland,which is the only city with a hint of First World,the rest is like camping in the bush....fantastic bush,though!
NZ is a low income country,thats why many people leave to find better paid jobs in Australia or Great Britain.A town the size of Gisborne every year,to give you an idea!
There's lots more of negative stuff going on here(drugs,domestic vilolence,child abuse,Maori/Pakeha issues etc.
Its a great country but not paradise.

[edit on 17-5-2010 by silversurfer6161]

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 02:42 AM
link   
reply to post by silversurfer6161

Yes, the living standard in economic terms in NZ is certainly not the highest in the world, and you will have social problems wherever you go.

But overall it it seems to be a safe, and happy country to raise a family.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 02:56 AM
link   
Hey another Kiwi! Kia Ora!

I have to agree, New Zealand is one of the best countries to live in. I mean sure, the economy isn't that great at all, mainly because we aren't rich in important minerals, unlike Australia which is just swimming in good trade like Uranium and Coal.

The thing that makes New Zealand such a lovely country is the lifestyle and environment. It's such a fresh country (probably because our Government are real tight on pollution, which is a good thing). I'm currently finishing school in Australia at the moment, and the main thing I miss about New Zealand is the people there, basically everyone is just so good to be around, it doesn't take long until you feel like your related to everyone.

On a negative note, New Zealand could be SUCH a better country, if the hard out Maori's didn't bludge off the Government for millions of dollars in compensation for what our (Maori) ancestors suffered for. I'm Maori myself, and I'm ashamed that all these different tribes are using the Treaty of Waitangi to extort the Government of millions of tax payers dollars. It's just plain wrong.

But all in all, everyone on ATS should think about hitting up NZ. Be such a good experience for everyone

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 03:00 AM
link   
reply to post by silversurfer6161

With all due respect, as we kiwis are so polite, go back home!

Oops, sorry, but it is nice to say go back home to someone. YES!

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 03:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jordan_The_Maori
But all in all, everyone on ATS should think about hitting up NZ. Be such a good experience for everyone

Haha, don't say that, you will have maybe four million Americans all trying to get into New Zealand, looking for a better life.

Can you imagine the impact 300 million Chinese immigrants coming to America would have on America ? Probably about the same effect (in proportion).

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 04:13 AM
link   
reply to post by xpert11

New Zealand is one of the most violent countries in the world, they don't have guns, but trust me, people get beaten to death.

Yeah you live in a rich neighborhood where everything is handy dandy, but that is the same everywhere in the world, if you have money you can have what ever type of lifestyle you like, whether you are male or female.

Come to my streets, Gleneden, West Auckland, see the beautiful lifestyle you are bragging about. People get jumped for wearing blue or red. I have seen tooths fly off, I have seen cracked heads, I have seen girls get beaten in the middle of the street, I have seen a guy's hand getting mazzered with a machete.

Don't even say NZ doesn't have a alcohol problem.

Don't even say NZ doesn't have a gang problem. Heard of crackwhores> P is spread by gangs? One of the most famous NZ lady singers was a crack-whore, the lady who sang that song with Smash proof.

Don't even say NZ doesn't have a family problem, I have seen people with 5 freaken moms and 2 dads.

One of my friends have 2 dads living in the same house, one dad is screwing the mom, the other dad is the real dad.

I have seen young girls go with men over 30, by young I mean young, 12-15.

This is the reality which NZ is trying to hide from the world, but I would to, for the sake of Tourism, you can't hide these problems and expect them to go away.

I thought what the world thinks of NZ now, but when I came, and integrated, that is when I truly discovered the underlying reality.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 04:29 AM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

Every country is violent.

Every country is abusive.

Every country wages war, except those countries which are waged war upon.

New Zealand needs a lot of help to end violence against women and children.

Does your country need that?

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 04:34 AM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

AND we do not wage war.

Unless some big boss country comes in and says "Wartime" - then we fold at the knees and go.

WHY???

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 05:42 AM
link   
I would never claim that New Zealand is perfect the country sure has its share of social and infrastructure problems . Some of New Zealand infrastructure is third world . Our Nuclear ban and the grid lock in Auckland show a lack of foresight as a nationality . We Kiwis should be proud about what is right with our society just as we should be concerned by say domestic violence . Besides the article is talking about the Kiwi lifestyle not economics and other issues.

How many overseas Prime Minsters or other leaders would dance at the Big Gay Out ?

I spend my childhood in Perth and I must say that while I prefer economic opportunity's in Australia I also prefer New Zealand more tolerant and progressive society . Oozyism we don't need anything silly like guns just an adjustment of private property laws to put up to stop to the likes of tagging .

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 06:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by oozyism
reply to post by xpert11

New Zealand is one of the most violent countries in the world, they don't have guns, but trust me, people get beaten to death.

Yeah you live in a rich neighborhood where everything is handy dandy, but that is the same everywhere in the world, if you have money you can have what ever type of lifestyle you like, whether you are male or female.

Come to my streets, Gleneden, West Auckland, see the beautiful lifestyle you are bragging about. People get jumped for wearing blue or red. I have seen tooths fly off, I have seen cracked heads, I have seen girls get beaten in the middle of the street, I have seen a guy's hand getting mazzered with a machete.

Don't even say NZ doesn't have a alcohol problem.

Don't even say NZ doesn't have a gang problem. Heard of crackwhores> P is spread by gangs? One of the most famous NZ lady singers was a crack-whore, the lady who sang that song with Smash proof.

Don't even say NZ doesn't have a family problem, I have seen people with 5 freaken moms and 2 dads.

One of my friends have 2 dads living in the same house, one dad is screwing the mom, the other dad is the real dad.

I have seen young girls go with men over 30, by young I mean young, 12-15.

This is the reality which NZ is trying to hide from the world, but I would to, for the sake of Tourism, you can't hide these problems and expect them to go away.

I thought what the world thinks of NZ now, but when I came, and integrated, that is when I truly discovered the underlying reality.

Yes Buddy, when NZ is bad it's usually pretty bad.

But when it's good, man is it sooo good!!

I'd live a lifetime in those bad times, for one day spent at the beach, walking along with my missus and mates, picking fresh mussels from a rock pool, relaxing back listening to the Exponents or Crowded house, with an ice cold stubby in my hands, barbie sizzling away.

Damn I miss home sometimes.....and yes, I'd live my life in the areas that suck, for ONE day in that paradise.

Life is what you make it mate, I feel sorry for the hardships of some people, but I won't be scared off from saying NZ is a great great nation.

Will someone back home do me a favour, go outside, give the ground a pat and say Footy misses you bro.

All the best, kiwi

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 06:11 AM
link   
reply to post by xpert11

Our claim to fame is no nucs - stay with it!

I am not putting NZ down, I am saying look after all those kids.

Yeah our PM is great, he got in there on that ad- i am sure he is a very nice man.

NZ has got to be stronger, because we are small.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 06:15 AM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

"New Zealand is one of the most violent countries in the world, they don't have guns, but trust me, people get beaten to death. "

I whole heatedly disagree. NZ isn't perfect, but it is far from the wasteland you describe.
Yes if you have money then you can have any lifestyle you want, but guess what? if you don't have money you can get yourself that lifestyle too, you can study nights or whatever you need in order to "win: at a good career. And even without the money to back you up there are still plenty of opportunities to have a good life (depending on your own attitude).

I lived in west Auckland for around six years, had homes in New Lynn, Henderson, and neighboring areas, have an aunt that currently resides in Glenden, at not once did I see any of the things you describe - maybe its the people you hang out with?

Yip NZ has alcohol problems, gang related issues and family dramas, but I don't think they are worse than any other country.

As for your friend with two dads in the same house, i have a friend who used to live in the same situation - worked out fine for them, my mate got to see her father a lot and mum and boyfriend had a happy relationship, every family is different, and if it works for them then so be it.

Older men and younger girls appears in most countries of the world. Its disgusting to me, but unfortunately its common worldwide

I would also like to point out that the lifestyle in Auckland is not a good representation of the life style in the whole of NZ - i don't know if you have traveled NZ much, but if you haven't maybe try it, smaller towns are friendly and laid back mostly, Hopefully it would change your negative view of NZ.

I love NZ, was born and raised here, and am now raising my kids here. For the most part I have always felt safe, specially in the small towns - HA i don't even lock my car at night, never have and have never had one stolen yet! - oh actually i did used to lock my car in Auckland, but never in the small towns.

KiwiSoul

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 06:18 AM
link   
An idea - let's help kids.

Let's help everyone.

Let's help oldies, youngies, everyone!!!

Let us help everyone to have a good time!

Nice change!

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 06:45 AM
link   
reply to post by catwhoknows

I know full well that I am still in the minority when it comes to opposing New Zealand anti Nuclear stance . If you think about it the author is coming from having seen the failure to pass an Emissions Trading Scheme due to opposition from the Liberal Party . In fact the furor caused a change in the leadership of the Liberal Party . Now in New Zealand a center right party has put such a scheme into law and with Civil Unions around its no wonder the author of the article suffered from cultural shock .

top topics

<<   2 >>

join