It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Skilled immigrants leaving America for better opportunities

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Article

The current economic turmoil could trigger a brain drain in the US. For many skilled immigrants, the American Dream is becoming a nightmare, while prospects in other developing countries are improving.

Bhargava is one of thousands of Indian immigrants who have decided it is time to pack up their bags and return home. He has been offered several jobs in India that he says beat out his options in the United States.

It is a phenomenon that is being called the American brain drain. To many it may be no surprise that in the midst of one of the worst economic recessions in recent history many highly skilled immigrants are choosing to leave the United States. While the US economy is expected to shrink almost three percent next year, India’s economy is predicted to grow by over five percent.

Everyone knows the economy is pretty bad at the moment, and with skilled workers going back to their own countries, what will happen next?

Im thinking either the US will slow down in technological advancement, or this wont really have any effect at all. I havent been able to find any statistics showing the amount of immigrants moving back to their countries because of lack of oppourtinities here in the US yet.

Just so everyone knows - this has nothing to do with "illegal" immigrants - just putting that out there so everyone knows this isnt an article about illegals.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

Hey, all the best to them! If they have a chance for a better life some place else, then I can't blame them for going.

I don't see how them leaving will have an economic impact, really. It will allow another individual to move into the open spot.

Something that was not mentioned in the article though, and I wonder about, is where did these talented people get an education?

Perhaps the real plan all along was to get an education in the US, and then take it back home, anyway.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 11:35 PM
link   
I can't understand why this Indian was here in the first place. Unless it was due to a need for the outsourced work to India to require their native speaker here in the US for those Americans like me that call a customer service representative and demant for someone to speak native English.

Really, this is like 20 years too late.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Blanca Rose

Personally, I dont really think this will have much of an impact at all, but there is still a little chance that this could slow down some advancement. Im still pretty sure it wont have an impact but theres always the small chance it could.

Im looking around trying to find statistics on the amount of workers from other countries that work in highly skilled jobs, and also looking to find the type of degrees and what kinds of schools they went to, but I havent found anything yet.

Im pretty sure India has some high-grade schools, but some may have come here for schooling instead. Maybe schooling here in the US was cheaper for them compared to India, but again, I dont know how much college costs in India.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to post by awakentired

The job he worked at in the US may of been paying higher than India at the time, but now India may have more spots for advancement and higher pay. The article was pretty vague and left out alot.

All it said was he worked in an IT job, but didnt specify what kind of IT job. He could of been a number things. I wish the article was more in-depth.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to post by awakentired

Well this is a nice borderline racist post. You do realize that Indians are people too, with every capability of getting a good degree and having skills that are in demand?

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 11:56 PM
link   
I think this is great!

America has been heading down a dangerous path for decades. We were shipping out production, textile, tech and even service jobs, all while importing or bringing in and training professionals *instead of developing our own internally.

I see this as opening up these positions to Americans, as well as encouraging the selection and training of those career fields.

The more jobs we fill internally and bring back to the US the better.

*edit to add

[edit on 17-5-2010 by Wolf321]

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 12:03 AM
link   
I think he got his degree at the Malaviya National Institute of Technology in India.

Why is the place where he studied even brought up. People have been sending their kids to study abroad for ages. No one ever expects them to stay as if they owe that country anything.

It's almost as if you are looking for something to complain about. Want to say "hey look they just come here to take and don't care about our country".

At least that is what some of these posts look like.

EDIT -Actually Blanca Rose's post is the only one that has this tone.

[edit on 17-5-2010 by daskakik]

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 12:04 AM
link   
Me I would prsonally move to Australia since the US is getting to a path of war and agression instead of peace and growth

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 12:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Wolf321

I didnt even think about that part. Now im thinking this is a good thing. Im sure plenty of our own citizens have that same qualifications as others. Maybe this will actually bring down the US unemployment rate?

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by daskakik

It's almost as if you are looking for something to complain about. Want to say "hey look they just come here to take and don't care about our country".

At least that is what some of these posts look like.

EDIT -Actually Blanca Rose's post is the only one that has this tone.

Actually, I was just curious as to where the person (s) get their education. If you read more into that, then your imagination, and deciding what is on my mind, is working overtime. How do you get that I am complaining, when I am happy they can find a higher paying job or a position in India?

Personally, if they are here working, and decide to leave, like I said, the best to them.

And yes they contribute while they are here. They pay taxes just like everybody else.

Just so you know, one of my best friends was an immigrant from India. Brilliant girl, who got her education here. She now lives in England, and owns one of the largest auto part companies in the UK. I'm thrilled for her!

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Something that was not mentioned in the article though, and I wonder about, is where did these talented people get an education?

Perhaps the real plan all along was to get an education in the US, and then take it back home, anyway.

The fact that you even brought it up means it was on your mind and not just in my imagination.

The "perhaps the real plan" part sounds like the guy had just come to get something (an education) and take it back home (drain the system).

You know like he had an ulterior motive and of course on a conspiracy site that usually means bad.

All clear though
sorry about that.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 01:24 AM
link   
A number of companies fired there American employees as they built up time with the companies and then turned around and hired from India at 1/4 of the wages.

I know of one person that was a programmer for micros**t that was laid off and replaced by someone from India under a H-1B visa.
en.wikipedia.org...

He now works for the US Navy programing the interface between fighter aircraft and there weapons systems.

There was nothing wrong with his programing skills just that he had to many years with the company and to high of wages. he is now classed by the industry as overqualified and none want to hire him as his wages would be to high because of his skill level.
What gets him work with the government is the systems he works on are highly classified top secret.

PS. As a hobby he writes free open source programs to undercut his old employer. Payback is a b***h

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 01:26 AM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

IT jobs were exported when I was programming and running engineering projects in 1998. Many programmers were looking for work and we snatched them up cheap. If memory serves the peak for IT/programming was around 2000...most likely due to the y2k scare. Yet many jobs were "outsourced" to India prior to that time.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 01:28 AM
link   
reply to post by InvisibleAlbatross

How dare you mix racist with Nationalism. Go away and tell your employer you messed up and your attempt to derail positive American analysis has failed

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 01:33 AM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

I was talking with a friend that had the same thing happen to him with Ford who outsourced to Mexico due to NAFTA.. He and his coworkers and friends never bought a Ford again and now he is delighted by the turmoil in the industry. His attitude is fkem they dumped me for mexico so they can just move ther bankrupt

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 06:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by daskakik

The "perhaps the real plan" part sounds like the guy had just come to get something (an education) and take it back home (drain the system).

Excuse me, but that does not mean what you typed here. It means, they came here to go to school, and then might go home. So, what?

Also, how can somebody who is working, drain the system if they are paying taxes? Have you ever had a child in college? Very rarely is it, "free".......LOL. It's very expensive! So if they are paying for it, how is THAT a drain?

You know like he had an ulterior motive and of course on a conspiracy site that usually means bad.

Only to somebody that is extremely paranoid and delusional, and who makes crap up!

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 06:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wolf321
I think this is great!

America has been heading down a dangerous path for decades. We were shipping out production, textile, tech and even service jobs, all while importing or bringing in and training professionals *instead of developing our own internally.

I see this as opening up these positions to Americans, as well as encouraging the selection and training of those career fields.

The more jobs we fill internally and bring back to the US the better.

*edit to add

[edit on 17-5-2010 by Wolf321]

Have you heard of ROCE? It is an acronym that is used in accountancy. It stands for Return On Capital Employed. If capitalist A (a blue blooded American who can trace his family back to the pilgrim fathers) can get say double the earnings per share overseas then why the hell would they invest in the Good old USA? Sorry man but the profit motive trumps patriotism every time. And it is just business it isn't personal.

In many areas the USA cannot compete in terms of profitability with the developing world.

If the USA is going for a Hi Tec economy AKa A knowledge based economy then it needs to re-tool the Education system to develop more science graduates. This will take at least a generation if they start the process in the infants tomorrow morning...

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Guess you missed the "All clear though
sorry about that. " part at the end. It meant that I now understood what you meant and that I was sorry for misreading.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Tiger5

I completely understand the profit motive. However, it should not be done at the risk of national independence.

If we employed all foreign doctors, and suddenly they all left, we have no doctors. Too many fields are either heavily populated by foreigners or almost entirely exist overseas.

It's not a matter of patriotism, its a matter of security, independence and elevating the society.

I think the idea that training to catch up doesn't have to begin in infancy. (Although that avenue must be pursued) I think it could all be done from secondary school. In less than a decade you could have workers to ill those positions. It could be even quicker if you are taking many of the unemployed and offering them training.

new topics

top topics

join