It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Wizarding World of Harry Potter

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 10:51 PM
link   
On June 18th The Wizarding World of Harry Potter will be opening at Universal's Islands of Adventure! The park will have three rides which include Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey, Dragon Challenge, and Flight of the Hippogriff .

There will be several shops which you should recognize from the books/movies. Those shops include Zonko's, Honeydukes, Owl Post, Dervish and Banges, Ollivander's, and Filch's Emporium of Confiscated Goods.

There will be one restaurant and it's named The Three Broomsticks Inn. You will also be able to try some tasty beverages at The Hog's Head Pub.

I don't know about you but I am VERY excited about this new theme park. I know I won't be able to be there at the opening but I really want to go some time this summer. I've already asked friends and family to go with me. So far no one wants to go so I've created an ad on craigslist. That's how desperate I am to go. I know it's just a silly little park with a few attractions and shops, but to a Harry Potter fan such as myself, it's something amazing.

www.universalorlando.com...

EDIT: I just did a search and there's already a thread about the theme park. Opps! For some reason it didn't show up the first time I searched. :bnghd:

[edit on 5/17/2010 by BrandonK]

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   
No biggie, it's likely my thread, lol...

I definitely plan to go....and likely with a few other people. Right now, looks like me and the wife, and two other gals...not sure if their spouses are up for it...but will need to know whether to get one or two suites...

Here's some advice, from a long-time fan/park-goer of Universal/Islands of Adventure Orlando... Stay in one of the resort hotels (Hard Rock, Portafino, or Royal Pacific).

I typically stay in the Royal Pacific...(it's cheapest, has a great restaurant (Emeril's Tchoup Tchoup), and is in walking distance of the parks).

Portafino (the most romantic one of the bunch)

Hard Rock (coolest pool out of all of them...but, as a guest of any of the three, you can use this pool...)

Here's the thing...

1. There is a water taxi running from the hotels to the parks...so you can leave your car at the hotel. Usually comes every 15 min.

2. You can charge purchases to your room, even have the items sent to your room from the park (so you don't have to carry it around)

3. Your room key works as an all-day Express Pass (so at most, you wait like 15 min in line at any given time, or less)... This allows you to not be so rushed, and really enjoy the parks. You can stop, eat, not feel like you'll miss something. Some lines can be as much as a 60 min wait...but not with your room key...

Let's face it though...I'm a geek. I mean, I've gone to the Harry Potter book openings at midnight....even dressed up as a character or two (or three actually)...(Filch, Mad Eye Moody, and Lucius), so I'm really hyped to see it.

It looks to me like the Hippogriff ride is an upgraded Flying Unicorn from the old park, and that the Dragon Challenge is really just the same Dueling Dragon's coaster, but I can't wait to see the shops and the castle...

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 04:51 PM
link   
I don't think I can afford to stay in one of the resort hotels. I'm going on a budget. If I had the money I'd probably fly and stay in one of the resort hotels, but I am going to drive and stay in a local hotel.

One good thing about driving is I will be able to stop in Pensacola, FL on the way home. That's if the oil doesn't ruin things.

The only problem is I haven't found someone to go with me yet. I really don't want to go alone. :shk:

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Another option....can't remember the price, but you can purchase an Express Pass (I think it's around $35-$50 maybe (depending on the date))....

It has one pass per attraction, and same wait time as if you were staying at a resort. (the neat thing about the resort, is that the key is good for TWO days...i.e. the day you check in and the day you check out)....

But, this may be a more economical alternative, and STILL give you a lot less aggravation!

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Found out some things... While the official opening date is June 18, the rumor is that there is a soft opening as of May 28...

Some rumors say that only hotel guests (and those who bought a Harry Potter package prior to the announcement of the official date) will be able to enter then, and other sources say anybody there on those days will be able to enter.

I wouldn't plan a vacation on it, until after the official date though, just so you aren't disappointed... Especially as I've been to soft openings before, and usually, at least one or two major things you want to see/go on aren't operating at the time...(and I'd wager the castle attraction....the real new attraction...will not be ready until opening, even if then...)

I'm planning to go in June, just working out the exact dates and finalizing who all is going. We've stayed at the hotels often enough to where we get a free upgrade to a suite (which sleeps 4 very comfortably, and in two separate rooms, technically), so with 4 of us splitting the bill, not too bad each night.

I'll definitely do a review post once we go...

new topics

top topics

join