It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Flood of outside money hits the primaries

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 09:12 PM
link   

www.msnbc.msn.com

WASHINGTON - Deep-pocketed unions, business groups and others are spending heavily in the year's early primaries, including a staggering $9.6 million to influence a Democratic Senate race in Arkansas, adding volatility to a struggle for control of Congress that has already produced its share of surprises.

The flood of money comes under campaign laws that bar coordination with the candidates and sometimes allow donors to hide their identity.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Is it me, or are we now witnessing the purchase of our next round of "representatives"? It saddens me greatly to see our government go so far astray of the principles of which it was supposed to uphold. Whatever happened to "of, by, and for the People"?

It seems as though, now, it's "of, by, and for the wealthy". Wouldn't now be the time to make political contributions illegal? It seems to me that all they do is insure that the person making the contribution has a loyal representative "in their pocket".

TheBorg

www.msnbc.msn.com

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheBorg

Is it me, or are we now witnessing the purchase of our next round of "representatives"?

Sadly, that is exactly what is happening. Keep the bought and paid for career politicians even longer and pay off the new people.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by TheBorg

It is "of, for, and BUY the people".

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 10:46 PM
link   
This is a practice that has been going on forever...only difference is more people wise to the game...so instead of three card monty you got a simple hi-low or red-black....either way the house wins....

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by navione

So now the question should be asked; What power do the People really have, when all candidates for office have been vetted via political contributions (bribes), and have no loyalty whatsoever to those who will inevitably "elect them"?

Shouldn't there be a law that prevents contributions like this from being given to candidates for office, and at the same time holds all who do accountable under bribery/corruption laws?

TheBorg

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 06:29 AM
link   

reply to post by navione

So now the question should be asked; What power do the People really have, when all candidates for office have been vetted via political contributions (bribes), and have no loyalty whatsoever to those who will inevitably "elect them"?

Shouldn't there be a law that prevents contributions like this from being given to candidates for office, and at the same time holds all who do accountable under bribery/corruption laws?

TheBorg

The Peoples votes are worthless. Even George Carlin believed this as well.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 07:34 AM
link   
Nothing, I mean absolutely nothing will ever change for the best in our country until we do just 1 thing.

Abolish our central bank(Federal Reserve) and their monopoly over our business, government and media will come crashing down. That is how they run our country, until we abolish the fed we can bitch and camplain every day of our lives, vote and protest, it doesn't matter unless they are gone.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Two words: TERM LIMITS.

Just as the highest office in the land is held to only two terms some form of term limits must be put into place for every Rep and Senator. I personally am in favor of no more than three 2yr terms for Representatives and no more than 2 6yr terms for a Senator (though I could live with one there). Since the Supreme Court has ruled that money spent on a politician = free speech, there is no other option. I don't think for a second that term limits would eliminate the perverse effect of money on our political system, but it would, I believe, mitigate it. At the very least interests would have to buy them a new pol every few years instead of the often lifetime installment plans they have with long serving CONgresspeople. It would also eliminate the fiefdoms that career politicians build.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 08:04 PM
link   

www.msnbc.msn.com

WASHINGTON - Deep-pocketed unions, business groups and others are spending heavily in the year's early primaries, including a staggering $9.6 million to influence a Democratic Senate race in Arkansas, adding volatility to a struggle for control of Congress that has already produced its share of surprises.

The flood of money comes under campaign laws that bar coordination with the candidates and sometimes allow donors to hide their identity.

Unions, who just recently were crying for a bailout with unfunded pensions, some to the tune of 60%, but they have money to burn for elections. Investment houses making large million dollar contributions through various means and to both parties, (have to hedge your bets ya know), right after getting a bailout courtesy of the tax payer. I wonder how much tarp money was spent on political contributions. 9.6 million dollars spent on a single democratic senate Primary race.

We have a debt of 12 Trillion dollars, and by the end of the election cycle in 2012 will have spent over 50 billion dollars on the elections.

You want to cut the cost of government? Well I have a good start.

This is the age of technology; the federal government spends billions to make sure the government can communicate. Let’s use it.
1. Congress should meet no more than 6 months out of the year, to finalize and vote on bills and other procedural actions as require a full house or congress.
2. Congressman and Senators shall work from an office in their states supplied by their states, and maintained and paid for by their states. The government will supply communication equipment for the offices to ensure security and compatibility; each state will be responsible for the initial cost of the equipment.
3. All members of congress shall be paid half their current salaries and their federal office budgets will be cut in half to reflect their 6 month sessions.
4. Make state elections of members of congress exactly that, state elections. No outside money, no pacs, no unions, citizens of the state only. No corporate donations, 1000.00 limit per person donations.

The states are making all this noise about state rights and reaffirming their rights under the 10th amendment. Well why don’t they take a little of that state right gumption and take back control of their state representatives and senators.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 08:13 PM
link   
I was just reading the Unions part myself. After all the crying they did about the SCOTUS decision that was handed down recently.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 08:20 PM
link   
I think that we are going to see an outcry in the near future on that. And those who are accpeting money from outside sources, their opponents should actually bring this to light asking why is it necessary for them to have to go out of state for donations from people and organizations that are not even in that particular state.

new topics

top topics

join