It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thoth, unearthed at Luxor.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 09:06 PM
link   
According to the latest news, Thoth, (aka Enoch?) has been unearthed in Luxor.

It is reported that "A granite colossus of ancient Egyptian deity of wisdom discoveried".

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ec3827170ba8.jpg[/atsimg]

Archaeological News - Egypt (Luxor) - A red granite colossus of the ancient Egyptian deity of wisdom, Thoth, was unearthed at the northwestern side of King Amenhotep III’s funerary temple on the west bank of Luxor.

Egypt Minister of Culture Farouk Hosni announced the find today, explaining that the statue is 3.5 meters tall and 140 cm wide, and was discovered during routine excavations carried out by an Egyptian archaeological team led by Dr. Zahi Hawass, Secretary General of the Supreme Council of Antiquities (SCA).

Well my friend, the Snake of Egypt, Hawass is part of the efforts in this area, but none the less, it is a fantastic find and as it goes on to note, more is expected to be found in the future.

Ciao

Shane

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 09:31 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b2aaa841be17.png[/atsimg]

I cleaned up
the picture and
rotated it a little.

I still look at it and
think what the H is that?

David Grouchy

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shane
Dr. Zahi Hawass, Secretary General of the Supreme Council of Antiquities (SCA).

I would like to be the first to publically call for the expulsion and discreditation of Hawtheass. We the public would expect the Egyptian government, made up of descendants of Arab nomads, not E-gypsies, to want a credible spokesman for their government, not such an obvious scoundrel as Hawtheass. Never met the, uh, man, and hope I am never condemned to.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by davidgrouchy

I still look at it and

Yeah.. it kinda looks like someone just unearthed a massive sweet potato!

IRM

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by davidgrouchy

I cleaned up
the picture and
rotated it a little.

I still look at it and

David Grouchy

Probably represented here in his Baboon form.
Sometimes standing, sometimes seated, sometimes with traditional baboon head, sometimes with a dog's head. But, still Thoth.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by DaisyAnne

Right On.

"It is the first time that a statue of Thoth, depicting him as a monkey, of this magnitude has been discovered," Mansur Boraik, head of pharaonic antiquities in Luxor, told AFP.

Link

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 12:30 AM
link   
There's a better image here...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/46a4feb74731.jpg[/atsimg] Link

...and it does look more like the baboon-headed aspect of Thoth. It's funny, if it was a snake head, people would be seeing proof of reptilian overlords

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Kandinsky

hawass is a tool. he is retiring soon but he is pure evil. He is there because he toes the party line like a perfect sheep. I guarantee there are people above him that control him.

Now the question is who controls him? Is it the vatican possibly?

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kandinsky

...and it does look more like the baboon-headed aspect of Thoth. It's funny, if it was a snake head, people would be seeing proof of reptilian overlords

OMG, this must mean the shape shifting baboons are coming.............

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 12:51 AM
link   
reply to post by BeastMaster2012

hawass is a tool. he is retiring soon but he is pure evil. He is there because he toes the party line like a perfect sheep. I guarantee there are people above him that control him.

Now the question is who controls him? Is it the vatican possibly?

Have a look at the politics of Egypt. One guy above him is a human-rights nightmare and de-facto dictator. Have you read any news about modern Egypt? There's a border dispute/war, political/religious conflict going on.

Pure evil? You need to ease off on the hysteria. He's a guy with a big ego...

The Vatican? Really?

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 12:56 AM
link   

There's a better image here...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/46a4feb74731.jpg[/atsimg]

Thanks the other pic looked like they unearthed an ancient boulder.

Anyhoo I hope the location and the surrounding area has more to still be discovered. Probably not but one can hope.

[edit on 17-5-2010 by SLAYER69]

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 01:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Kandinsky

The Egyptians are hiding and not giving out information on important finds. I highly doubt that they are controlled by the Vatican, it was just a thought that came across my mind.

I know they are an islamic country but anyone can be bought.

I have been trying to understand the whole dead sea scrolls deal and it is very confusing. The vatican were heavily involved with the dead sea scrolls surprisingly. Also the Rockefeller family were involved, whom some think are evil.

www.auburn.edu...

But for the moment let us turn our attention to sensationalists like Michael Baigent and Richard Leigh. In their book The Dead Sea Scroll Deception, they argue that the Vatican suppressed the scrolls because they contain information harmful to the Church. At first blush some of their claims seem credible. On the western shore of the Dead Sea lies Khirbet Qumran, the site of an ancient community of people who have been described as Jewish monks. In 1947 an Arab shepherd accidentally discovered some scrolls in a cave not far from Qumran. Between 1952 and 1956 ten more caves were located. The scrolls of cave four, which contained over 500 texts, were for decades tightly controlled by an editorial team of mostly Catholic scholars. The team published only about 100 of them over the course of 40 years.

To whom were these Catholic editors accountable? To a Dominican-sponsored school in Jerusalem which had direct ties to the pope himself. From here Baigent and Leigh paint a sinister picture of a ruthless Church suppressing or destroying incriminating documents to protect Church doctrine.

An important strategy created by the editorial team to suppress the truth, the authors argue, was creating a rigid orthodoxy of interpretation of the scrolls. The linchpin of this interpretation was the dating. The team tried to put as much distance as possible between the Dead Sea Scrolls and early Christianity. Thus, the team claimed that the scrolls belonged to a period long before the Christian era. Anyone who might question the early dating or the team's interpretation, or who would fight for the publication of the secret scrolls, would be treated as a heretic.

Jordan wants the Dead Sea Scrolls back from Israel.

AMMAN — Jordan has complained to the United Nations in a bid to acquire the Dead Sea Scrolls from Israel, saying the Jewish state seized the ancient texts during the 1967 Six-Day war, an official said on Monday.

"The kingdom has filed a complaint to UNESCO that the scrolls belong to Jordan," Rafea Harahsheh of the country's antiquities department said in a statement.

"The government has legal documents that prove Jordan owns the scrolls."

Harahsheh did not say when the kingdom, which signed a peace treaty with Israel in 1994, filed the complaint to the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation.

The scrolls, some of which are as old as the third century BC, were part of a display at Toronto's Royal Ontario Museum in Canada that ended on Sunday.

"We have been trying our best to restore our stolen antiquities, including the scrolls. Stealing our antiquities violates international treaties and ethics," Harahsheh said.

"Israel seized the scrolls and other antiquities from the Palestinian Museum, which was managed by Jordan, in east Jerusalem when it occupied this part of the city in 1967."

sorry this is so off topic it deserves it's own thread.. just trying to explain myself a bit on why i think Hawass is a tool.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 01:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Shane

Probably one of the pieces they dug up from their dig at the Sphinx.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 02:34 AM
link   

It doesn't need to be a snake head. The fact that it's a monkey proves that Reptilians can shape shift!

... into Monkeys! OMG!!!

IRM

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 11:45 AM
link   
This is a great find. Thanks for bringing us the news. S & F.

Here is a link to a good article with photos: More colossi expected to be found!

News story

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 12:40 PM
link   
I think of any mystical figure, Thoth interests me the most.

First the Roman's and Egyptians recognized that Thoth and Hermes both share the same characteristics. Not only does this mirror many people today who study the correlations between religions, myths and spiritual beliefs, but it spawned the predominant western esoteric tradition that had a HUGE effect in western thinking; spawning alchemy, esoteric beliefs, symbols and ideas that influenced secret societies...

And then you also have his relation with Atlantis speculation, the Emerald Tablets of Thoth, the possibility that Enoch is also a manifestation of Thoth in ANOTHER culture....

The more we find about Thoth, the better. Although I heavily echo the sentiment amongst members here to kick Hawass' ass out of his position.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Everyone here likes to hate on Dr. Hawass, and I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, but if you really understood the centuries long history of the theft of Egyptian antiquities then you would probably better understand Dr. Hawass' attitude.

Everyone likes to pretend like Egyptian antiquities belong to the world, and in a certain sense the history of Egypt is the history of civilization but the antiquities should still belong to the Egyptian people. Granted, there are no "Ancient Egyptians" left but that doesn't mean that the country needs to grant free passage to everyone that wants to stomp through the tombs and temples and take what they want as souvenirs.

I don't think anyone really understands just how much Egyptian history was lost to the antiquities market in the past few hundred years alone, couple that with centuries of grave robbing dating back to the time of Egypt itself and you can understand why the antiuiquites are so carefully guarded.

That being said, I'm sure Hawass can be a tough guy to spend too much time with.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Shane

Just a quick little thing on Thoth. People say he has a part in Alchemy and the dream worlds and wouldn exlain why he would be worshipped for his wisdom. For unless, you have some serious knowledge of the esoteric like Egypt did you wouldn't think much of Thoth.

edit to add- the guy above happen to beat my post, but we are saying the same thing...

[edit on 17-5-2010 by agentofchaos]

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shadowflux
Everyone here likes to hate on Dr. Hawass, and I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, but if you really understood the centuries long history of the theft of Egyptian antiquities then you would probably better understand Dr. Hawass' attitude.

Everyone likes to pretend like Egyptian antiquities belong to the world, and in a certain sense the history of Egypt is the history of civilization but the antiquities should still belong to the Egyptian people. Granted, there are no "Ancient Egyptians" left but that doesn't mean that the country needs to grant free passage to everyone that wants to stomp through the tombs and temples and take what they want as souvenirs.

At least with the other thieves the relics would often end up in museums or whatnot, and the public could view them. He's in the pocket of private collectors it seems, who just want to hoard everything for themselves far away from the public eye. Not to mention how he mysteriously won't allow people into places which are allegedly empty of anything interesting.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Shadowflux

The big thing is there were never any treasures or bodies in any of the 88 pyramids in Egypt, and no they weren't robbed before we got there either.
The Valley of the Kings however, where all the pharohs were buried with their treasures were robbed.
Hawass is the frontman selling the Egyptian fairy tale, its good for business. Admitting there was an even more ancient civilisation in Egypt before the Egyptians arrived would be a very expensive revelation. Somebody would have to burn all the history books and rewrite them. Its alot easier to just keep the fairytale alive for us peasants while they just keep raking in the money.

[edit on 17-5-2010 by MrMartay]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join