It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Got a Macbook Pro and I hate it.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 07:33 PM
link   
So finally gave into the hype and bought a Macbook Pro. After using it for a few days I've grown to hate the thing. The GUI isn't that great, Windows 7 is much, much better. Windows 7 aero theme is better than Mac OS X.

I hate how when you click the red ball with the x it doesn't close the program just places it back in the Dock. You either have to go to the programs drop down menu and hit Quit or use Command + Q to quit the program.

The maximize button doesn't make the program fill the screen, it resizes it to something smaller most of the time. You have to drag the window from the bottom right to expand it.

The laptop gets really hot.

The Dashboard widgets don't stay on the desktop, when you click back to the desktop they vanish. On Windows 7 widgets stay on the desktop until you choose to close them or remove them.

No preview boxes for open applications. Windows 7 aero allows you to mouse over open applications and get preview boxes of what's open.

You can add programs to the Dock but Win7 pinning is better.

The 'Superdrive' is loud, the cd/dvd drive on my HP laptop is much quieter.

The multi touch pad is awkward and it acts like a large stiff button. I just plugged in my logitech mouse to get things done.

So I pretty much wasted money. I don't see my views changing on the Mac. It sucks. You can do more things on Windows and Linux for a lower price and better system specs.

[edit on 16-5-2010 by TinFoilHatMan55]

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 08:08 PM
link   
The yellow button docks it not the red.

Red closes the window.

Having open programs does not eat memory.

Command-Q quits the program.

Send it to me, I'll give you 50% + shipping.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by TinFoilHatMan55

Well ... different folks have different preferences when it comes to operating systems. I switched from Windows to mac when OSX first came out (no functional Linux OS available at the time). It took me a while to work myself through the differences between the two OS but after having done so within a couple of months I have bought nothing but macs ever since. Mrs Sdog has Windows 7 on her new little PC and from the little I have seen it has a boatload of "borrowed" design features from OS X.

Btw, you really should investigate mac forums and the manual because there are shortcuts for a lot of the things you think can't be done on a mac.

Nevertheless, like I said, it's not for everyone ... especially if one is either a gamer and/or enjoys the considerable challenges of OS protection.

What I do find odd though is that you would choose to drop the considerable amount of money required for a macbook pro without the rudimentary pre-purchase investigation that would have revealed those issues that vex you so post purchase.

I used to date that way ... not good.

[edit on 16 May 2010 by schrodingers dog]

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 10:58 AM
link   
I bought a Windows 7 laptop recently because I had to for school and I HATE it! I have always been an Apple user. I can't stand Windows 7, they copied a lot from Apples OSX too. When I first got this crappy thing, that is what I first noticed. Ever since I have had it I have had problem after problem, ones I never had on my Apple.

If I didn't need this for class I would toss it into the river over my balcony! I can't use my Apple for school because it's a G4, not a G5. I hate Windows programs but I have to use them for class.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 12:32 PM
link   
sorry brother,you cant tell me that windows 7 taskbat is better then the dock
the dock is one of the greatest/coolest inventions ever.
yea sure im pissed at macs too,but the macs i work with are 20 years old.
this still is one of the most quality (metal!) laptop you can buy.
and the os x is great,you can even play alot of games on it now

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 01:50 PM
link   
I've been a windows user my whole life, thats what we were taught in school growing up, starting with windows 95. After my freshman year at college, my HP laptop bit the dust. I got a macbook pro to replace it, and it took a little bit to get used to the changes between windows (I was using vista at the time) and osx.

My macbook pro is one of the most immaculate electronics i've ever owned, right behind my ipod. I think the multitouch touchpad is the most ingenious invention in the world. I once had someone remark, "thats way too large, it just looks stupid." I replied, "then you obviously don't know how to use one, because you can do so much with it, depending on how many fingers you use, etc."

As for the software part, my mac has frozen once, and all i had to do was close the program and open it. it took less than 20 seconds. When something stops responding on windows, you can bet that you'll be waiting much longer for your mouse to even move, then the task manager to open, then to cancel the program. I'll bet it often takes about 5 minutes, which in the 21st century, is a long time.

I've played with windows 7 on friends laptops. It's disgusting what they took from OSX, and even more disgusting when it doesnt work as well.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 08:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Schmidt1989

Agreed!!! When I had to get a Windows based computer for school I was surprised at Windows 7 and how it looked like Mac. As for Mac, I never had one problem with my powerbook g4. It was even dropped on tile flooring and it still ran perfectly fine. It runs better than this laptop I have now and I hate it. It freezes all the time and takes forever to load or shut down. I miss my Apple. I can't wait to get it fixed. The screen and keyboard from being dropped are getting replaced.

I am use to Apple because all the schools I went to from Elementary to HS had Apples.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 05:44 PM
link   
My anger and frustration has subsided and am using it again. Don't know why it made me like that.

Maybe the cost, and the fact that people make Macs out to be a taste of heaven on earth. It can be a bit disillusioning to see it's good but not euphoric.

I also enjoy Ubuntu Linux, which is free lol.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by TinFoilHatMan55

I'm glad you're enjoying it more ... feel free to ask for help if you need it.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Thanks. I'm getting more use to Mac OS X. It's not all that bad. Just can be frustrating coming from a different OS that I've used since my early days of computing. Started out with Windows '95 back in the day.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 08:32 PM
link   
I started out with the TRS-80.
Have had Macs since the first 128K model came out.
The Mac server is a pain in the neck compared to any Linux server but for home use I wouldn't have anything else.
Just simply moving files is so much easier. Why people think, with computers, if it's hard to operate, it must be better is beyond me.

I'm glad that you're getting used to it, it will grow on you.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 12:37 PM
link   
im sick of ubuntu,lets not talk about how i,as a professional retouch worker in an elite company sended then an email,WANTING to help them,to do some graphic work. and THEY DIDNT RESPOND.
they dont think of anything smart,they just do bull6*(% moves like copying from OSX and going on gatherings with macbooks.
ubuntu is too hard to make it work,even for me,i prefer configuring a mac in 10 minutes,configurating windows in 2 days (antivirus,bookmarks,plugins,programs)
but linux..takes 2 weeks to just get to know all the options on the ui,and all the options on the docks...wtf!
screw them,i prefer windows or if i have money osx

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 10:34 AM
link   

The multi touch pad is awkward and it acts like a large stiff button. I just plugged in my logitech mouse to get things done.

It doesn't take long to get used to, and then it's actually pretty helpful.

Personally, I find the tradeoff of not worrying about viruses and malware screwing with my data, to be worth any other minor conveniences.....

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 01:55 AM
link   
Like others, I went from Windows to Mac. Have wanted a mac for years, then they became affordable to me

It does take a while to get used to certain things, double touchpad is awesome! (cept for when you jump on someone elses laptop)

I tripped and dropped mine from being tucked under my arm, and it did cartwheels across the floor and rested against the gate for the stairs (lucky it was closed...)

And dropped it from shoulder height onto floorboards about a week later.

I do have a crystal case on it and it has suffered no damage at all

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 02:33 AM
link   
I dislike OS Debates, ALL OS' have a flaw, Mac OSX is overpriced, for the same price as a macbook you could get a 7 (which totally pwns OSX) For less, and be better! Linux is simply amazing, but doesn't have that much software support ( *sad face*) Windows is awesome too! I like windows and linux the most though. Why everyone on ATS Should run linux though: Microsoft and Apple have a backdoor where they can access your computer and everything on it, linux is user based, it doesn't have that backdoor. The support on ubuntu is awesome (I.E. guy who ranted about it, its user-based support, go to ubuntuforums.org...) Windows =Most support for applications and in business use , linux= Free software, awesome community support, developers run it, to make software, and you can get awesome, windows/osx equivalent software for free. OSX= Good for video/audio editing, pretty nice UI (we can all agree on that). Also, if you are going to be like "RRGGH MICROSOFT RIPS FROM APPLE" Then do that with ALL modern day OS' Including Apple OSX, they all were "influenced" by a previous OS. That is all.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 04:08 AM
link   
I just bought a Mac book and am waiting for its delivery. I have always been pc. I use it for music production and I recently had the blue screen, loosing all my plug ins and vst's. I managed to get it working again, but keeps crashing.

I'm hoping a move to mac will mean i no longer have these crashing problems.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
I just bought a Mac book and am waiting for its delivery. I have always been pc. I use it for music production and I recently had the blue screen, loosing all my plug ins and vst's. I managed to get it working again, but keeps crashing.

I'm hoping a move to mac will mean i no longer have these crashing problems.

My Macbook Pro froze and I had to hold the power button down until it rebooted. Macs crash because computers crash no matter what the OS is.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 07:09 AM
link   
I started out on Macs and was raised (computerwise) in a Mac totalitarian environment, right in the heart of the cult. My first computer teacher was a guy who even wrote a Tibetan word processing program for the platform.

Eventually I got a PC 166 MHZ and was very surprised, considering my backround, that it actually was able to perform tasks associated with computing!!!!!

Time passed and I have just recently gotten rid of my last old Mac. I will never acquire another Mac. I have to use one at work and it is a pig. Like you I don't like the interface, although I grant you that is mostly a matter of "what you are used to".

The PC community is many times larger than the Mac community, which means that all manner of activities are more plentiful and easier, particularly solving one's computer problems.

Macs are pretty. They are interesting. If I were a geek I would own one just to sample some "out of the box" thinking and doing. But under any other circumstances I would never own and rely on one.

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 09:08 PM
link   
I have an old Lexmark printer from around '01 and I decided to finally start using it again as it's the only printer I have. Well there is no drivers for Mac OS 10.6 only for older versions.

So I plug my printer up to my HP Windows 7 laptop and it automatically downloaded the drivers and it works fine.

I've had my Mac for three months now. It's okay but Windows is far more supported and easier to find free software for thats good.

I seriously doubt I will get another Mac. I will just stick with what's dominate and I could always dual boot with Linux which is free.

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 09:12 PM
link   
my tribe is better than yours :p

[edit on 28-8-2010 by Lysergic]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join