It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The most homoerotic movie moments ever!

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by wigit

Great song and clip!
I'm a huge Rammstein fan (and speaking German helps, because people are forever asking me what they are singing about).
Actually translating it however is not always a good idea (people think I'm lying), and Rammstein songs go into all kinds of psychological issues.

There's a great deal of irony in the song and clip, but also a lot of self-awareness in the appeal of metal and homoerotic imagery linked to machismo, which the band radically embraces and satirizes.
Perhaps it's a reminder that homophobia is most recognizable in social groups that depend heavily on homosocial norms, and that are based on a kind of "brotherhood" of male bonding above "unclean" women (like patriarchal religions, and even political groups), and persecuting gays becomes a way of securing a very blurred boundary between "righteous brotherhood" and homosexuality.

It also doesn't become preachy, and is neither clearly pro or anti-gay.
In fact, some might read the video as homophobic.

I think it's about an inner struggle - facing unconscious attractions, but also not wanting to be the "nightmare of all fathers", and the "queer" in the lyrics who accepts the labels and the stigmas.

The irony is also that he sings about a gay experience, but then shouts the label "Schwuler" at the end.
Is the narrator deferring the label onto somebody else (to deal with his own attractions through projection and denial)?
Or is that shout a sense of ownership and self-definition through the label?
Is it a moment of personal liberation?
To myself it's obviously the latter.

Heavy music is often unclear in such instances.
For example, is the shout at the beginning of Slayer's "War Ensemble" a protest against war, or a celebration of war?
Maybe it's both?

Is it "man against man" through confrontation, or through sexuality?
Maybe it is also both.

edit on 6-5-2012 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 03:15 AM
link   
Return Of The King, when Samwise Gamgee and Frodo see each other for the first time after destroying the ring. I would say that it doesn't get much gayer than that, but I've seen too many movies.

Most movies with 2 male friends as main characters are quite gay, like Guy Ritchie's treatment of Sherlock Holmes and Watson. Look up Quenton Tarentinos monologue about Top Gun being gay from Sleep With Me, then watch the first Sherlock Holmes movie. The way the female lead and Maverick interact is perfectly mirrored in Sherlock Holmes, not to mention a bajillion little clues throughout both Holmes movies. Other times a movie is all about butt sex. Watch eXistenZ with that in mind. (Favorite scene: when Jude Law licks it before he sticks it.. into the girls lower 'back port') And other times its apparently revealing something going on in Hollywood as the book and movie Dreamcatcher might be doing. Dreamy "Catcher," eh? Whose the pitcher in this relationship? The antagonist is called, in a lisped accent, "Mr. Gay" and he is hunted by Blue Boys (look up "blue" in a gay slang dictionary), who like to "go in hard and fast and come out quick and clean," in their own words. Also, worm-like aliens shoot out of people's butts. I'll stop here before ruining every movie for you guys.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   
The French horror/comedy Poltergay was a blast!

It's about a heterosexual couple who move into a haunted house that was built on a 1970's gay disco, where a number of patrons were electrocuted by a faulty foam machine.

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 04:51 AM
link   
reply to post by halfoldman

That does sound like a blast. I'll have to look it up.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 01:22 AM
link   
From an interesting documentary on the making of the film Quest for Fire.

Men from the hominid time greet in a rather simian and primitive way,
First they rub beards, and observe the face, then they slap the back.

Well maybe it's kind of butch compared to the Ainu version, or the nose kisses of the Inuit.
It's not really in the movie, but the actors had to learn these moves.

edit on 29-7-2012 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join