It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Video of girls dancing in lingerie causes internet row

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by tellmemoreok

The problem with protesting anything is that it provides free publicity for the thing protested.
The more something is denegrated by any public figure the more curious people get about it, example off the top of my head would be the Harry Potter series of books and movies - the more the Christian Right put it down the more popular it became. If you want a certain behavior to stop you do not react overtly to it, but rather in some cases you ignore it totally. This should have been the case with this video, now due to the publicity it has recieved through the main-stream media it has gone virel on the net and youtube has over 101,129 views.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 08:16 PM
link   
This is just more of the hyper-sexualization of society.

The fact that the parents think nothing is wrong with it is disgusting but not the least bit surprising.

Clearly, sexuality has been party of humanity and society forever. For some reason I cannot understand, in the last 25 years or so, we have been encouraging, allowing and pushing it on children.

Media, music and fashion promote it, and no one seems to mind. Sure there is a voice here or there, but there is also the hypocritical aspect that helps it. Adults and parents often condemn such things, but they themselves participate in it, often in clear view of children.

Why has it become fashionable to encourage adult behavior in children?

I have seen members of my family encourage their 2 year old to use foul language, or generally misbehave so they can all laugh about it. Society is getting too perverse.

Sites like myspace, facebook, and YouTube also are clear indicators of the exhibitionist mentality we have developed. Sexting?! Why does everyone feel they need to be seen and heard by an audience? Why the need to show off? Don't people value privacy anymore?

We accept immorality, and a culture that allows sexual preference and behavior to be central defining tenants. We glorify it in tabloids, movies and music. We permit it in our leaders.

Like everything else wrong in society, we allow it. Some by being hypocrites, some by openly encouraging it, others by not saying and doing anything about it when it happens.

The ride down is only going to get rougher.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Raustin
If it were 15 year olds, I could almost understand.

I hope you are stressing the 'almost.'

We (society) should not even be accepting that type of dress and provocative dance, even in teens.

[edit on 16-5-2010 by Wolf321]

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by RedmoonMWC

I see what you are saying but think that if we all just sit idly by and never voice our concerns, there will be more problems in the long run. I also have no problem with Harry Potter books. I realize that was just an example, but I don't really find anything unwholesome about the series. I suppose to the Christian Right, it promotes witchcraft or something but I find it to be harmless personally. I probably would have loved those books when I was 9 or 10.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 08:26 PM
link   
just eight-years-old

no doubt they can dance!

But why dressed or almost undressed like that at that age.?

I say bad form!

[edit on 16-5-2010 by SLAYER69]

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 08:31 PM
link   
ya saw this on the news, although I wouldn't mind watching something like this if older, and I mean much older (like 20's) girls did it but. MY GOD! these girls were 6,7,8 whatever they were they were way too young! Frankly that video was plain disgusting to me.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 08:40 PM
link   
These are just children. What the hell kind of parent would allow this? It's scary that it is acceptable to some people.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blanca Rose
reply to post by Raustin

Disgusting!

Of all the dance routines they could have come up with, or costumes...

The parents of all these kids need to be slapped silly!

Because you know the parents had ANYTHING to do with the costumes. You have zero sense of rational. It's a dance routine people.

Why is it if these kids were cast in a zombie movie, where they chased old people while chewing entrails the public would be cheering their bright futures, but they do a dance routine that they obviously rehearsed for a long long time it's "Disgusting".

Some of these posters need to be slapped silly, starting with Troll lady above.

..Ex

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by v3_exceed

Because you know the parents had ANYTHING to do with the costumes. You have zero sense of rational. It's a dance routine people.

Excuse me, when kids are this age, the parents take them for lessons, and know exactly what the costumes for such a production will look like before the show. They probably also took their kids for fittings, so YES, they knew ahead of time what the routine, and costumes would look like.

If they had protested enough about the costumes looking like lingerie, they would have been changed!

Why is it if these kids were cast in a zombie movie, where they chased old people while chewing entrails the public would be cheering their bright futures, but they do a dance routine that they obviously rehearsed for a long long time it's "Disgusting".

Gee, why don't you find a video of what you propose, and get a comparison? The reason people find this one disgusting, is because it is.

Some of these posters need to be slapped silly, starting with Troll lady above.

Come and get me!

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blanca Rose

Excuse me, when kids are this age, the parents take them for lessons, and know exactly what the costumes for such a production will look like before the show. They probably also took their kids for fittings, so YES, they knew ahead of time what the routine, and costumes would look like.

If they had protested enough about the costumes looking like lingerie, they would have been changed!

Having had 2 daughters go through formal ballet, I can assure you that you are 100% wrong. The parents bring them into the class in basic leotards and the correct shoes, the schools do the fittings. Kids at this level are not entrusted with the actual costumes, especially for something at a production level such as this. The parents may have been at dress rehearsals maybe not.

Secondly protesting the costume would not get the costumes changed, but might get your child excluded from an otherwise important moment in her life.

The costumes look nothing like lingerie, a swimsuit reveals more, and dare I say that if you think this is lingerie you really need to shop more. I suspect that you are just jealous of these young girls and using this as an opportunity to vent. Back to your bridge now.

..Ex

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by v3_exceed

Well, having been involved in dance most of my life, and having a daughter that was also, we've had completely different experiences in life.

Never, did I ever leave my daughter at any dance class, and yes, I was always present for a costume fitting.

My daughter also did runway modeling, and so did all 3 of my sons.

If I didn't agree with a costume, or an outfit that my child was supposed to wear in public, guess what? I got it changed.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Society needs to realize that whether you are 5 or 50, someone is going to be looking at you in a perverse fashion. That fact, however, shouldn't hinder you doing what you love to do.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 09:21 PM
link   

The parents bring them into the class in basic leotards and the correct shoes, the schools do the fittings. Kids at this level are not entrusted with the actual costumes, especially for something at a production level such as this. The parents may have been at dress rehearsals maybe not.

Any parent who isn't aware of the songs and costumes used in their child's dance class and production is is careless, uninvolved and /or a bad parent. Of course if they are that bad, they probably don't care about displaying their child like a slut.

Secondly protesting the costume would not get the costumes changed, but might get your child excluded from an otherwise important moment in her life.

Allow a child to sling sexuality around scantly clad for cheers should hardly constitute an important moment in her life.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by serenesupreme

I think that anyone should be allowed to do what they want. If your passion is dance, pursue it, if you love painting, do it, chainsaw wood carvers for the win. I just don't believe little girls should be dancing around half naked and performing sexy moves. I'm really not all that prudish, just think young ladies don't need to be sexual to be noticed. Remember, these are 8-10 year old girls.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by IntastellaBurst

do beyonce and lady gaga really have to run around in underwear to make their music SOUND better. It's ridiculous.

Lady Gaga and Beyonce are not like Bob Dylan or John Lennon. They provide entertainment, not music, to their fans. Part of the entertainment "musicians" like Lady Gaga provide are outrageous costumes, dancing, and theatrics. Music is almost an afterthought for acts like Lady Gaga.

[edit on 16-5-2010 by hotpinkurinalmint]

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 09:34 PM
link   
I have seen this kind of thing being taught at hip-hop classes to kids as young as 5. Parents actually pay for the classes ??

I think Hip-Hop in general has a lot to do with the ills of our society. I would rather a kid listen to Death Metal.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wolf321
Allow a child to sling sexuality around scantly clad for cheers should hardly constitute an important moment in her life.

The fact that all you see when you view that video is scantily clad children is clearly disturbing, but I digress...

This thread has obviously been taken over by the self proclaimed puritan group of ATS. It has become painfully obvious that anyone who doesn't agree with these types is quickly labeled a bad parent or worse.

The production as seen in the video is a world class production, and not something you would find at the local Community Center, but I really wouldn't expect most of the posters in this thread to know the difference.

..Ex

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 09:43 PM
link   

The production as seen in the video is a world class production, and not something you would find at the local Community Center, but I really wouldn't expect most of the posters in this thread to know the difference.

I see. It's all a matter of scale. As long as it has enough financing, endorsements and 'production value' the content is irrelevant.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by thedeadtruth

Hip hop dance is not necessarily bad. True, in many rap videos the girls "dance" like strippers and this is obviously bad for children.

Some hip hop dance, especially the hip hop dancing from the late 80's/early90's is not degrading or slutty. This dancing is not about acting like a whore, but about displaying intricate footwork and agility. Think about the routines the fly girls used to do on "In Living Color."

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 09:50 PM
link   
[satire]

Personally I think this is great! A couple more exhibitions like these and we can finally trigger that earthquake in Tehran.

[/satire]

I'd like to bring up the economic principle known as the Law of Diminishing Marginal Utility. In short, the first cheeseburger you ever ate will forever be the best. Subsequent cheeseburgers, and the enjoyment rendered to you, the consumer, will diminish. Attempts will invariably be made to combat this principle, as can be seen in the emergence of the Triple Baconator.

This dance routine is not the Triple Baconator. It is a Whopper, to be certain, but it could be much worse.

Compare the original Bikini, named after the Bikini Atoll as a reference to the nuclear tests and their effect, to the two-piece swimsuits of today. By modern standards the first bikini was rather modest.

So what are we saying here? We need to set limits on the expression of fashion and dance because it's making us look (or feel?) like perverts? I don't have the answer. It just seems to me, however, that modesty is a highly subjective principle, and if something offends your sensibilities you should by all means curtail your exposure, but don't expect everyone to share your indignation. Instead, try to figure out why it is you're feeling offended, and more importantly, why other people are not.

[edit on 16-5-2010 by Zelun]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join