It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Daniel Pearl Freedom of the Press Act to be law

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Daniel Pearl Freedom of the Press Act to be law

jta.org

President Obama will sign the Daniel Pearl Freedom of the Press Act into law, joined by six members and three generations of the slain journalist's family.

The act, named in honor of the Wall Street Journal reporter kidnapped and decapitated by Islamic extremists in Pakistan in 2002, expands the examination of press freedom worldwide in the U.S. State Department’s annual human rights report. It will be signed into law Monday morning.

“Violators of press freedom throughout the world now know that they will be closely watched," Pearl's father, Judea, said before leaving Los Angeles
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 07:15 PM
link   
This is just breaking will update with more as it becomes available.

Daniel Pearl: en.wikipedia.org...

The new law mandates the State Department to identify countries in which there are violations of press freedom; determine whether the government authorities of those countries participate in, facilitate or condone the violations.

Press freedom in other countries probably isn't what Obama should be concentrating on, but, I guess his administration could use a piece of positive news.

jta.org

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Portugoal

This is just breaking will update with more as it becomes available.

Daniel Pearl: en.wikipedia.org...

The new law mandates the State Department to identify countries in which there are violations of press freedom; determine whether the government authorities of those countries participate in, facilitate or condone the violations.

Press freedom in other countries probably isn't what Obama should be concentrating on, but, I guess his administration could use a piece of positive news.

jta.org

I agree that this is positive, even if it won't be incredibly important in the long run besides being a bit of a feel-good measure to let people know that we disapprove of freedom of press violations elsewhere in the world.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Here we go again, telling others what to do.

We'll closely watch you, and will stomp our feet and whine & complain if you don't do what we say.

How dare they use the term 'Islamic extremists'? I thought the the messiah banned the use of that term.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Has anyone combed through this law with a magnifying glass?

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 08:17 PM
link   
I remember Daniel Pearl's kidnapping well.

Free speech as well as a free press are part of the foundation of a free society.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 08:37 PM
link   
But free press doesn't exist really, everything including all news networks are government controlled, so in truth the Freedom of the press doesn't really exist.

In wars, you have to report and have reactions of both sides not just by siding with one side of the faction and pretend to act as if the other side doesn't even exist.

I fail to see this has positive for obama how so?

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agent_USA_Supporter

I fail to see this has positive for obama how so?

People value freedom of the press and this kind of story will look good on him... even though he should be focusing on other things.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Hmmm, are we sure about this? How about we start kickin this law into overdrive here in the states. This is a thread I created a couple of weeks ago but it seems like no one really cared. It completely ties in with this thread and I suggest people look at it:The U.S. Media is the 24th Most Free in the World & Dropping I welcome a law that extends the rights to freedom of the press but honestly, who are we kidding here? Weren't the wikileaks employees being harassed by US state department officials before releasing the army killing video 2 months ago?

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by conspiracy88

Is the law not more concerned with press freedom intedrnationally rather than in America itself?

top topics

join