It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bennett mulls write-in bid

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 07:05 PM
link   
www.politico.com...

Sen. Robert Bennett (R-Utah), who lost his bid for re-nomination on Saturday, has not ruled out running as a write-in candidate for the Senate this fall.

"I've made no decisions to make a decision," he said Tuesday when asked about his political future. “I’ve made a firm decision not to make any decisions at the moment.”

Bennett would only say he'd make a decision "later."

Such a decision would put his colleagues - who personally like Bennett but will only endorse a GOP candidate in the primary - in a tough position.

"It's a little like going to your own funeral while you're still alive," the 76-year-old, three term senator said of his colleagues who said they'd support the GOP nominee in Utah.

Are we beginning to see the rise of centrist independents? Maybe laying the foundation for a future third party that will be in the middle? If Arlen Specter and Blanche Lincoln lose their senate bids they might run as independent centrists. If this occurs and other 'establishment' candidates lose their primaries we could see a november election where most states have 3 candidates on the ballot; Republican, Democrat and Independent.

I am in support of a third party, as Joe Sestak of Pennsylvania and Bill Halter of Arkansas are considered labor candidates and are very left-wing in the Democratic Party. Marco Rubio of Florida and Rand Paul of Kentucky are tea-party favourites and are very right-wing in the Republican Party. This could mean basically a civil war in both parties where their 'extreme' factions seize control of the party and kick the centrists into becoming Independents.

[edit on 5/16/10 by Misoir]

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 11:52 PM
link   
If he really wants his nose rubbed in his own poop, he can do that.
Makes no damn difference he'll loose by a landslide.

If he had brains he'd keep his now filled war-chest.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 09:59 AM
link   
I think that if he ran in the GOP primar as a write in he would get more than his opponents combined.

new topics

join