It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Putting the Gulf oil spill into visual perspective

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 06:24 AM
link   
Thought ya'll might be interested in this, I just heard about it on our local news. The University of Texas Energy Institute is hosting a webcast for the public going over all the aspects of the oil spill. It starts at 10:00 AM CST til 12:00 CST.

“Oil in Troubled Waters” Public Forum to Examine the Cause, Consequences and Cost of Spill in the Gulf

streamer.beg.utexas.edu...

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by seentoomuch

very interested, thanks. I will have to see if I can get it as a podcast later.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Last pic from the 17th...

Do you see that elongated arm streching out, i believe that is the oil "hopping" into the Loop Current... Cool...

[edit on 18/5/2010 by drakus]

[edit on 18/5/2010 by drakus]

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Very nice pics OP and also i agree with all the disinfo. But what about the mexican spill i heard about on the radio in the 80's that they say was just as big. I dont have any sources i heard it on talk radio. Interesting enough anyways.

Needless to say this is a big issue, and i really feel for all the ocean life that is suffering right now and is going to continually suffer for awhile.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   
A lot of people like to play symantics when discussing this disaster. It's oil and there's lots of it by all accounts 5000bbls/day is a lot of oil. That's the low low low ball figure on what's coming out.

The point about spraying dispursants is that spraying them into the leak itself keeps a lot of the oil under the surface as the dispersants makes the oil heavier than water. Deep water currents are carrying this oil god knows where and it's impossible to track. This helps with damage control as if the whole amount leaking hit the surface then the true magnitude of this disaster would become known to the public while they buy themselves time to limit their liability in court.

The longer they keep the true magnitude of the spill hidden the more time it buys BP to tie up the legal ends and limit their liability. I've heard they want to limit their liability to $75 Billion. Well to my math that leaves them well short of the estimated $1 Trillion in damage this spill will cause.

As you can see by the DATA here BP could more than handle the $75 Billion and not have too dire of an effect on their share prices. That's all this is about $$$$$$$$.

The problem with this disaster and dirlling in regions like the Gulf of Mexico is the rock structure the oil is located in. It's reported to be very pourous and often good for well producers as oil from other deposits seaps into the well once enough pressure is taken off the deposit. This is also bad for something like this. The other dangers of deep well drilling (20000-40000') is the fact that the Earth's crust is a lot hotter at those depths as you are getting closer to the magma center. With not enough known about tectonics and crustal activity near these well sites it's entirely possible to tap a well that sits on a particularly thin part of the crust. This would lead to constant heating of the oil and gas deposit causing expansion of the contents.

Like the sea looking for a pinprick hole in a submarine to come in, I feel this is one of those examples of them literaly hitting a pressure cooker. The only problem is that they can't put out the fire and it going to continue to boil.

So let me ask this? What happens when the rigs drilling the relief wells blow up as well? Then what are we going to do?

Here's a MAP from Haliburton of the type of underground structure they are facing with drilling in the Gulf. The reason the Gulf is soo rich in oil and gas is that every Ice Age drained down the Mississipi Valley carrying all that dead organic matter with it.

As Tyler warns you at the beginning of Fight Club.

Don't believe everything you read. Dig a little, don't dismiss things right away because it doesn't jive with your understanding of the situation.

Now I'm going to follow Tyler's advice, where's my GF. Damn she's at work.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by drakus

Thank you for caring, I was going to append that pic to this ASAP. Thanks and star.
I am still looking for underwater robot video of the leak/volcano since they supposedly applied the siphon tube. Looking for any evidence of any reduction of oil flow into the Gulf. Anybody?????

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by DEEZNUTZ

Good analysis DN. I agree that when we go that deep, we might stir up a genie or worse.

I posted on the thread about BP looking for solutions, that the spill needs to be sealed like Chernobyl.
Heavy Naval vessels lower massive amounts of granite and other heavy rocks in a ring around the leak. Then place a "chernobyl-like" pre-fabbed concrete dome with the ability to inject heavy drilling mud and then casing concrete into this containment.

How long should we wait to let them (BP/govt. suckups) try to save this well/their a$$es$.?????

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 03:57 PM
link   

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   
The Oil Spill LEAK ISN'T PLUGGED, nor anywhere near it. The magnitude of the leak is worse than I knew: I had seen rumors that the top of the Wellhead at the BOP was leaking, but unless FL Sen. Bob Nelson had posted it, would not have had proof. For shame MSM.......

And the little 4" pipe they stuck into a 21" pipe, you can see how well that's working.

Video of well head above blowout preventer spewing, and pipe on sea floor spewing with little drinking straw pipe stuck into it:
nola.com and FL Sen. Bob Nelson provide video
nola.com video of leaking pipe with drinking straw in it

People, it's (way past) time to demand that competent and non-profit seeking parties are in charge of sealing off this disaster.

[edit on 18-5-2010 by 1SawSomeThings]

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Here is a the latest MODIS Terra satellite that is clear (5/17):
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b21214376721.jpg[/atsimg]

Notice how the sun reflects as white where there is oil.

Here is a map I made of what I think is the true area of the slick:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b27a1930d2c8.png[/atsimg]

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Morpheas

Um, so the "slick" has pushed backwards against the loop current all the way down to Mehico? If its a slick then why cant we see it? Is this a blob sort of "slick", or like a alcohol in water sort of "slick"?

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Um, so the "slick" has pushed backwards against the loop current all the way down to Mehico? If its a slick then why cant we see it? Is this a blob sort of "slick", or like a alcohol in water sort of "slick"?

I'm thinking thin layer.. expect where it is very white by the well. I'm going by satellite.. not sure of the currents.

[edit on 5/18/2010 by Morpheas]

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Nice work. Can we get a link to credit that photo source please?
And keep on keepin' on. We need to get people riled up so they will overwhelm their congressional so-called reps!!!!

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Couldn't that just be the suns reflection?

reply to post by 1SawSomeThings

Here you go, a nice scary picture you can use to rile people up with:

[edit on 18-5-2010 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss]

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Sure, here is the site to get MODIS satellite images:
rapidfire.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov...

I based my slick map on satellite images and reports of beached oil.
Here are some sources I use.

NASA satellite images
earthobservatory.nasa.gov...

Oil tracking sites
blog.skytruth.org...
www.cnn.com...

NOAA sites
www.response.restoration.noaa.gov...
www.deepwaterhorizonresponse.com...

PBS Gulf Leak Meter (adjust to 2,520,000 gal/day)
www.pbs.org...

Latest and greatest news
www.npr.org...
www.cbsnews.com...

A couple great products not being used
www.oilgoneeasy.com...
www.komonews.com...

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by IgnoranceIsntBlisss

The current might be below the surface.. The oil I see in the satellite image is on the surface.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 09:25 PM
link   
It is the sun's reflection, but I believe it is reflecting white because of the oil.. notice there are some blue areas inside the white area. Also if you look at satellite images before the 20th the suns reflection is a lot less.

I may be wrong.. here is the same image, but from April 6th:

What do you think?

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 10:10 PM
link   
So if the actual flow rate is 200,000 barrels per day, the gulf could potentially become 32 percent contaminated thus far.

I seriously think that this will be the final nail in our coffin. 10 years from now, when the oil is gone and the fish and seas are dead, our numbers will begin to fade.

What will the next beings on this Earth learn from our fossilized bones?

[edit on 18-5-2010 by Visitor2012]

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Visitor2012

Woah settle down there now. This thread will put the crude % toxicity issue into perspective for you:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join