It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OILPOCALYPSE!? (lets get real)

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 12:57 AM
link   
reply to post by seentoomuch

Wow good point.

Really tho, since the platforms are there that also means that oil is there and therefore there are also seepage leaks there as well. So it's probably seepage plus spillage plus fertilizers.

The issue becomes how much is each source really affecting the oxygen levels. I don't know the entire history of it, but my guess would be that nobody knows for sure since they couldn't even make satellite images like that until recently, while all 3 factors have been in place for decades. Likely the natural seepage is a major cause, and humans are in fact amplifying it with the other 2. How much is anybody's guess.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 01:22 AM
link   
reply to post by IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Thanks for doing the overlay, 'ppreciate it. And also thanks for allowing other factors to be included and thought into the situation.

I'm calling it a night, g'night,

STM

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Earth Satellite Corporation (EarthSat) aka MDA federal, now
and thier "partners
www.mdafederal.com...

The same source that says oil leaks all the time, don't worry, also manages natural resources for corp world, and assesses those assets

no conflict of interest there

search the partners, and it becomes more "interesting.

and the hydrate danger is real, and not being evaluated correctly
does everyone living within 2 miles of the coast have free methane detectors
are the gulf bouys returning real time data like they were 2 weeks before this happened

not world destruction, but a VERY dangerous situation that should not be trivialized.

dr

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 09:40 AM
link   
I've never heard of any of those dumb ideas such as the sea floor collapsing, this and that. To me it looks like you just made up that list that is kinda ludicrous or you heard it from a survey given to a 5th grade elementary class.

as many have said earlier, NO ONE knows what the damage will be, but it won't be as light as you make it out to be. lets do some simple math and put it in perspective.

every four days this thing continues to leak its the equivelent of 1 exxon valdez disaster. now think about the impact of the exxon valdez spill.

its been about 27 days since the pipe burst. (not counting today and the fact that they have only siphoned off 20% whoopee)

that puts it at 7+ exxon valdez disasters and counting.

NOT GOOD

so to say 7+ exxon valdez disasters isn't 'all that bad'... i wish i was a positive thinker like you are!

[edit on 17-5-2010 by insideNSA]

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 09:46 AM
link   
The only way to end this nonsense is for america to use the biggest hydrogen bomb it has to fix the hole.

Its got to be the only solution and you guys know it too.

Remember the biggest hydrogen bomb there is, is needed to fix the spill.

You know the american gov are on the net trying to find answers, there you go people.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Funny how I saw this post while listening to this guy :

What he is talking about is from GLP.
Link to GLP

Credo Mutwa apparently just now said half the worlds population wont see 2011 at a gathering where I'm attending.
Some delegates have walked out because he didn't want to give an acceptable explanation, he just said " it's no asteroid, comet, plaque, ... just OIL"

This is Credo's you tubechannel . not much there, but for refrence.
Link to Credo

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

It seems you care about fixing the spill, to your credit. But in placing a strong H bomb under a mile of seawater, where will the pressure go? Mostly down. There is a geological structure holding that oil in place, except for the hole BP made.
You think anyone can predict the outcome?

I don't think there are any positive outcomes to detonating an H bomb anywhere.

EDIT: Has anyone seen any newly released video from the underwater subs showing the oil leak after the "siphon tube" was inserted? Please post or U2U.

[edit on 17-5-2010 by 1SawSomeThings]

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Neither your graphics or arguments sway me. Here's another perspective on the Gulf Oil problem.

But just based on my calculator, this is the biggest oil spill in the history of the world and beat the Exxon Valdez in its first day. Still reports of the plume sizes could be wrong, Excel could be wrong, or I could be a pluming idiot. Ure's Theorem says since we have multiple year visibility, we ain't see nothing yet.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by ofhumandescent

Seeping oil is a natural occurence but not at 250,000 gallons a day.

The sea and coral life will die enmasse.

Humanity is wrecking this once beautiful, lush planet.

All things together, over abundance oil in our oceans, toxic waste in our water and air, over population, urban sprawl, a island made up of plastic and other misc garbage bigger than the state of Texas floating around the Pacific, and on and on and on it goes.

Earth, in my opinion would be better off minus one species, homosapien.

We are an obnoxious, agressive and service to self species.

And like the way of the dinosaur, we will become extinct if we do not grow up and quickly.

[edit on 16-5-2010 by ofhumandescent]

God here we go with more misanthropy.

All of you that feel the way this person does...i offer a solution.

KILL YOURSELF.

its that simple.

You wont do it...your a coward. Thats why most of you environment idiots are hypocrits.

"those poor fish...dirty humanity....i need to pick up my 4 kids in my gas and oil guzzler"

HYPOCRITS!!!

[edit on 17-5-2010 by tauempire]

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by dr dodge
The same source that says oil leaks all the time, don't worry, also manages natural resources for corp world, and assesses those assets

Actually I provided several sources that say oil leaks all the time, including the gubment. Read the thread, please.

and the hydrate danger is real, and not being evaluated correctly
does everyone living within 2 miles of the coast have free methane detectors
are the gulf bouys returning real time data like they were 2 weeks before this happened

not world destruction, but a VERY dangerous situation that should not be trivialized.

Oh, you mean the "flaming hurricane" like "apacheman" talks about in his thread. I had forgot to even add that detail, where the oil slick tsunami also funnels an 'apocalyptic' amount of methane hydrate into the upper atmosphere and ignites.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Originally posted by insideNSA
I've never heard of any of those dumb ideas such as the sea floor collapsing, this and that. To me it looks like you just made up that list that is kinda ludicrous or you heard it from a survey given to a 5th grade elementary class.

Look around ATS, and beyond. Talk to some people who've been watching the news everyday on the issue. Its madness out there.

every four days this thing continues to leak its the equivelent of 1 exxon valdez disaster. now think about the impact of the exxon valdez spill.

Oh yeah, according to who, NPR?? "SkyTruth"? Read the thread. Maybe actually dispute my content and post in some data. Increase our understanding.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Oild doesn't naturally poor out of the ocean floor at this rate of speed and especially at these amounts. And if it's so natural as you say, then fish wouldn't be dying as easily because they would be used to swimming in this toxic environment. Oil is formed under considerable pressure (which means deep in the ground), and if it does come to the surface naturally it's through cracks and crevices that had opened.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Some math.

1 Barrel = 42 gallons
1 day = 86400 seconds.

BP estimate (low end) = 5000 barrels = 210,000 gallons / 86400 seconds = 2.43 gallons/second.

High end = 70,000 Barrels = 2,940,000 gallons / 86400 seconds = 34.02 gallons/second.

In my non expert opinion, the amount leaking is somewhere between these two numbers.

I was under the impression that there was more than one leak in the pipe. I think initial reports said there were three?

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033
The only way to end this nonsense is for america to use the biggest hydrogen bomb it has to fix the hole.

Its got to be the only solution and you guys know it too.

Remember the biggest hydrogen bomb there is, is needed to fix the spill.

You know the american gov are on the net trying to find answers, there you go people.

Ok now an H bomb might actually make some of these doomsday scenarios come true.
Nuclear weapon yield

That drilled down into a methane hydrate laden oilfield thats spewing, 49 miles offshore, doesn't sound like a good idea. Even the Russians A-Bomb idea sounded over the top when I first read the headline.

But if they wanted to get those effects they'd just drill down an A bomb into Yellowstone.

One things for sure is this whole oil spill has surely educated us all on all sorts of new and old ideas.
I just don't want to see people borderline suicidal from all of the guiltmongering associated with oil spills.

[edit on 17-5-2010 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss]

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Sarkron

Some numbers at last!

Even high end and low end, with the truth falling somewhere in between.

I posted some numbers later in the thread:

The pipe / bore size of the Ixtoc I blowout might give us perspective of the Deepwater Horizon. The Ixtoc had a pipe that was 9-5/8", compared to the 20" Horizon pipe.

The well was initially flowing at a rate of 30,000 barrels per day (1 barrel = 42 US gallons = 159 litres), which was reduced to around 10,000 bpd by attempts to plug the well. Two relief wells were drilled to relieve pressure and the well was eventually killed nine months later on 23 March 1980.
members.tele2.nl...

Going by these rough numbers one could argue that it would take 4.5 months to reach Ixtoc levels, unlike some reporting that suggests we're already that far gone.

How does that look to you?

Hmm. Actually following this historical example, any successes the new crew have had in drilling relief wells like the Ixtoc did would be important here. I had heard of them trying that recently but I'm not sure about it.

I wouldn't think that the number of above floor breaks would change the flow rate, as its all from the same source diameter, and that in effect you could slow it down the more you're able to close the pipe openings below the original 20", but basically no matter how many holes you add to the above ground you still have the same pressure and potential area.

Some different potential pressure numbers would be useful.

-----------------------

Originally posted by Bagatell
Neither your graphics or arguments sway me. Here's another perspective on the Gulf Oil problem.

Peoplenomics this weekend went on to cite the references, like how many gallons are in a cubic foot - that and how many gallons are in an average swimming pool.

The spoon-fed MSM number of 210,000 gallons per day would mean a spill of 11 average swimming pools a day and since we're 28-days into the event, about 300 swimming pools of oil.

Wow. That's a good way to look at it I hadn't thought of. But historically, considering Ixtoc, does this mean that every government and corporation have colluded to lie about the flow rate of these sorts of incidents? In hindsight, in the aftermath, the answer would seem to be no. Like I pointed out, it should take about 4.5 months to reach the levels from Ixtoc, which went for nine months, meaning Ixtoc would have been 2 full "extinction" events according to George Orr. They're asking good questions tho, but I think they've looked past the historical examples that I've focused on.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Hey OP,

I usually like your style, but I have to disagree with your premise in this thread.

On the contrary, I see this catastrophe being down played by the media not overhyped. But hey, just my opinion.

I also live in Tampa, so this is obviously as potentially up close and personal for me as anyone else that could be directly effected.

In regards, to the true number of how much is being leaked, here is something you might find interesting.

per urbansurvival today: Urban Survival - George Urie

The length of the underwater plume (which is of heaviest crude components like asphalt and paraffin and such) is given as 10-miles. The width is report as 3-miles. But because we expect it's only 3-miles wide at its widest, maybe it's only one eighth of a mile wide (660') on average, or some smaller fraction like that. And while the thickness is given as "300 feet", let's use one third that number - just 50 feet - and then run out some basic numbers and see if the reported 210,000 gallons per day being spoon-fed to the MSM is anywhere near measured reality, shall we? Dim. Operator Units Multiplies to L 52800 W X 660 34,848,000 sq/ft H X 50 1,742,400,000 cu/ft Gal/CuFt X 7.48 13,033,152,000 gallons Days / 28 465,469,714 Gal/Day / 42 11,082,612 BBL/Day roughly 500,000 gallons a day maybe more... at least some people should know this out there...

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 12:20 PM
link   

talk about arguing without supporting it with facts!

are we suppose to believe everything is ok because you think so?

i'm not going to post estimates on the amount of oil coming out because there are so many estimates out there so I could pick one of my liking and post it. however if you would like see a good SET of estimates go to newscientist which puts it at 84,000 a day. i posted the link in another oil thread, no time to find it now but newscientist is the source and shouldn't be hard to find.

that being said the earlier estimate given of an exxon valdez every 4 days came from an oil insider who i hear on the radio. The same guy who predicted oil would go to 50 a barrel AND gave a timeframe for it and he was right on. this was done when oil was 140 a barrel. he was right abou this and everything else he has said about the oil industry. so NO sorry to burst your ignorantly blissful bubble but my sources aren't left wing nut job sources. he knows the game and also knows that

A. BP is totally at fault for experimenting with DEEP DRILLING down to 35,000 ft which has never been done before in the water. The Russians drilled to 42,000 ft but that was ON LAND, proving that oil is abiotic, not from fossils.

B. BP wasn't expecting the pressure from this deposit to be so great. so great that their equipment couldn't handle it.

C. no one is discussing one important piece of information. THE ACTUAL PRESSURE OF THE OIL coming out of the pipe which is immense.

D. From CONSERVATIVE ESTIMATES it equates to 1 exxan valdez every 4 days.

Mr Ignorant, your name says it all, you present propaganda facts, tell us it will be all ok and obviouly have no idea what you are talking about

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   
The posts i could generate with a media and research staff.... like those neat spirals in OPs avatar that you just can't look away from.

You gotta love ATS!

Regardless, nice post disinfo or not.

Many who 'know' what's going on can be dramatic at times b/c they see and FEEL the situation on such a deep level that they need to impress it upon others.

Then there are the ones who feel alive in the panic and desperately think they want the 'other shoe to drop.' They sit at their computer, rattling away, the rush of armageddon quickening through their veins.

And there are ones who watch it all with a Zen balance, pointing out folly, hypocrisy, disinfo, and truth.

Whatever you say, IgnorantnotBliss, this is an EPIC event that has all the ingredients to change the world as we know it. But it's a slow burn, a really hard boil.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 12:33 PM
link   
assuming 200,000 gallons a day that works out to 138 gallons a second coming out of a 20 inch pipe .A garden hose at 25 pounds of presser put out 8 gallons a mint, a garden hose is 3/4 of a inch times that buy 25 to get as close to 20 then assume 25% POUNDS OF PRESSER . 25 times 8 = tada 200 gallons a mint ok we need seconds here not mints so 138 times 60 =8280 a hour that's 45 x 25 =1125 pounds or presser coming out of a 20 inch pipe.
ok were a mile down theres your presser yep and if the presser is 2.2k you get 400,000 gallons a day we are talking a mile down here and another 12k of rock to the well its self.
o yea 200,000 a day could be low balling it
o not much at all any good presser washer puts out this much presser
[edit on 17-5-2010 by xxcalbier]

[edit on 17-5-2010 by xxcalbier]

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by IgnoranceIsntBlisss

I wouldn't think that the number of above floor breaks would change the flow rate, as its all from the same source diameter, and that in effect you could slow it down the more you're able to close the pipe openings below the original 20", but basically no matter how many holes you add to the above ground you still have the same pressure and potential area.

Some different potential pressure numbers would be useful.

-----------------------]

All the estimates that are being calculated are from that one particular gusher, as it is the only one where video has been provided, and not even that until recently.

If there are other leaks, then the numbers would have to be adjusted up as they are not currently being accounted for in reports (as far as I know).

There is obviously more than 2.43 gallions/sec coming out of that one leak...

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by OnTheFelt
I also live in Tampa, so this is obviously as potentially up close and personal for me as anyone else that could be directly effected.

Thanks. I've been holding back on saying this, but my Plan B SHTF location is up towards the panhandle, in an area that would suffer deeply from a direct oil slick hit. I was bugged out for weeks, until I bothered to look at history and the rest. I have extreme interest in this beyond most could imagine. In fact if I didn;t I wouldn't have bothered doing the research and debating that got me to the point of making this thread from being irritated by all of the guiltmongering myths we all believe.

per urbansurvival today: Urban Survival - George Urie

The length of the underwater plume (which is of heaviest crude components like asphalt and paraffin and such) is given as 10-miles. The width is report as 3-miles. But because we expect it's only 3-miles wide at its widest, maybe it's only one eighth of a mile wide (660') on average, or some smaller fraction like that. And while the thickness is given as "300 feet", let's use one third that number - just 50 feet - and then run out some basic numbers and see if the reported 210,000 gallons per day being spoon-fed to the MSM is anywhere near measured reality, shall we? Dim. Operator Units Multiplies to L 52800 W X 660 34,848,000 sq/ft H X 50 1,742,400,000 cu/ft Gal/CuFt X 7.48 13,033,152,000 gallons Days / 28 465,469,714 Gal/Day / 42 11,082,612 BBL/Day roughly 500,000 gallons a day maybe more... at least some people should know this out there...

Some historical perspective:

The Gulf War oil spill is regarded as the largest oil spill in history, resulting from the 1990 Iraqi invasion of Kuwait, or the first Gulf War.

It caused considerable damage to wildlife in the Persian Gulf especially in areas surrounding Kuwait and Iraq. Estimates on the volume spilled range from 42[citation needed] to 462 million gallons;[1] the slick reached a maximum size of 101 by 42 miles (4242 square miles) and was 5 inches thick in some areas. Despite the uncertainty surrounding the size of the spill, figures place it 5 to 27 times[citation needed] the size (in gallons spilled) of the Exxon Valdez oil spill, and more than twice the size of the 1979 Ixtoc I blow-out in the Gulf of Mexico. en.wikipedia.org...

The world didn't go extinct.

As I've pointed out in greater detail later in the thread, the earth has been spewing oil constantly into the oceans for as long as humans have been around. We're still alive.

Now quality of beaches are at threat. I've never had tar stick to me over in Clearwater. Pretty remarkable actually, considering all of the seepage, spills like Ixtoc I, drilling and the rest that is Gulf wide.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join