It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OILPOCALYPSE!? (lets get real)

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by IgnoranceIsntBlisss

No, I think your media skills and pay grade have mine beat. You are desperately needed in the flaming hurricane thread right now though. That thread, if you can find and aren't going to bed just yet it is on fire! ATS rocks.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by ChrisCrikey

It's more like you people decend on ATS and start continuous new threads using fear and guilt mongering trying to create outcry, like so many packs of issue specific disinfo agents (No Planers, etc) in the past.

Propaganda = persuade. What I am trying to persuade? Oh, that people don't commit suicide for being human. I present facts and request facts or flaws in my facts or ideas. You just smear me while promoting doomongering.

Lets not be hypocrites:

Have you sold off your car for good? Have you purchaced or begun piecing together a biodiesel processor system to produce your own biofuel? If not you don't have much to say, considering that you're now a hypocrite like most other armchair environmentalists. I can say I have taken these steps. Can you? Can any of you? Stop projecting your self-guilt onto everyone else, everybody. If you use petro it's your fault too. Stop being victims and do something about it. Obama and the rest of the psuedo-environmentialist corporatist puppets aren't going to do anything about BP's sloppy mistakes, which means you're going to have to get off petro if you want change.

[edit on 16-5-2010 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss]

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Here's an important oil seep off the California shore:

The Coal Oil Point seep field offshore from Santa Barbara, California is a petroleum seep area of about three square kilometers adjacent to the Ellwood Oil Field, and releases about 40 tons per day of methane and about 19 tons of reactive organic gas (ethane, propane, butane and higher hydrocarbons), about twice the hydrocarbon air pollution released by all the cars and trucks in the county in 1990.[1] The liquid petroleum produces a slick that is many kilometers long and when degraded by evaporation and weathering, produces tar balls which wash up on the beaches for miles around.[2]

This seep also releases on the order of 100 to 150 barrels of liquid petroleum per day. The field produces about 9 cubic meters of natural gas per barrel of petroleum.[2]
en.wikipedia.org...

Meaning this single location releases about 45,625 barrels per year, or 4,562,500 barrels per 100 years.

Why hasn't this been stopped? Where are the demolition experts to go down there and blast it shut? Why aren't people advocating that since drilling is occuring anyways, that the oil extractors not be allowed to drill more until they can make all of the detectable oil seeps stop leaking?

Here's some more totally new reality I knew nothing about before looking into this crisis (the oil leak IS a crisis):
Asphalt Volcanos:

An asphalt volcano is a rare type of submarine volcano (seamount) first discovered in 2003. Several examples have been found: first, along the coasts of America and Mexico, and, recently, all over the world; a few are still active.[1] Resembling seamounts in structure, they are made entirely of asphalt, and form when natural oil seeps up from the earth's crust underwater. en.wikipedia.org...

At what point would it be justified to follow the ideas of the Russians and nuke the spout shut to prevent ecological disasters such as Asphalt Volcanos??? That question also goes out to you Global Warming Alarmists considering that seeps also release greenhouse gases like methane.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Hurricanes hitting the Gulf this year are a real concern - NASA has just reported that this is the hottest year on record as sea temperatures soar - a massive hurricane season is approaching. This could cause massive eco issues and is very real - front page news.

Methane Hydrates could only ignite if they are warmed (through global warming) - if they were to ignite it would create a firestorm that would utterly destroy America - not going to happen this century, unless there is runaway positive feed backs from some unexpected source.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Bravo!! couldn't have said it better myself S&F
and a big

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by audas

According to NASA, every new year is the hottest on record. Did anyone miss out on the cold "snap" this year? The year isn't over, and so far its been the coldest year on record if anything.

reply to post by Just Wondering

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 11:53 PM
link   

What effect do you think the oil spill will have on the "Dead Zone" in the Gulf? Will the oil smother the algae bloom along the Mississippi Delta or will it make it worse, as in oxygen levels?

STM

[edit on 5/16/2010 by seentoomuch]

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 11:59 PM
link   
reply to post by seentoomuch

That issue is one thing I wouldn't try to "downplay", from my best guess. I hadn't even heard or thought of your alternative dichotomy. But as far as I know the oil itself will cause a dead zone from all of the bacteria eating the crude oil. It might not have much of an effect since it's already a dead zone area. It could make it much bigger. It could also make it more permanent over a longer period of time. I never really downplayed the problems the immediate area faces, especially over the short term. Another bad thing that just occured to me is that it could take longer for the bacteria to eat the oil trying to compete with the algae.

[edit on 17-5-2010 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss]

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 12:07 AM
link   
More data on natural oil seeps:

Santa Barbara, CA.

Oil seeps occur naturally all along the coast of California, notably in the Santa Barbara Channel near Coal Oil Point. The widespread nature of oil seeps in this area is well documented by early explorers and by coast-dwelling Chumash Indians.
www.mms.gov...

They made this 52MB report:
pubs.usgs.gov...

===========================================
Sure enough, there's a website promoting oil extraction to prevent oil seepage "Stop Oil Seeps":
www.soscalifornia.org...

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 12:14 AM
link   
From the very little I understand the "dead zone" is caused from all the fertilizers washing down the Mississippi river into the delta and a bit beyond and it causes the oxygen levels in the water to fall dramatically, though not uniformly. Some areas have a decreased oxygen level but also support marine life albeit smaller than normal marine life with decreased reproductive capabilities. All this from an algae which grows with light. Here's a link to the basics, I really don't know much about it, I'm just throwing it into the ring as local water conditions should be considered and;

Obama should consider that this time of year fertilizer (as in fields, not just the politicians) is being spread en masse and if he does anything he should ban all fertilizers along the Mississippi river, executive order (the first one to actually do anything worthwhile as far as I know, they should follow this example in D.C., but they won't).

Here's a link: www.mnn.com...

Where's Cousteau when you need him? He should have founded an institution for things like this.

STM

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Thats why I posted it - you are wrong. Further, your logic backs up global warming - the overall trend is for it to get hotter each year - wow - thanks.....der

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 12:22 AM
link   
reply to post by audas

Note where I used the words "according to". That isn't to give a nod to their claims. I trust NASA the same as I trust the Pentagon.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 12:26 AM
link   
I can not believe that this is saying "what oil disaster? oils leaking all the time." maybe so. but mankind just keeps adding to it on greater and greater scale. when people finally see how much damage has been done from all of it. it will be far to late. and the super rich will hide in space or in bunkers. waiting for it to be all over. that's Us all dead...

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 12:28 AM
link   
reply to post by seentoomuch

You do have a point there. The problem could be policing it tho. The problem is people need to use their brains and not over-fertilize. I realize that's asking alot of people but I could hardly criticize Obama for doing a loud speaking campaign trying to get people to be sensible about fertilizer usage. And it's too bad most of that fertilizer is probably used on lawns.

Although this image suggests a much larger problem than just the Mississippi Delta:

Perhaps that could in large part be a result of natural oil seepage?

Maybe not, as this one suggests a different story:

EDIT: Yeah, I misread the first image before I posted it.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Hmm - lack of understanding of global warming is unhealthy - however the fact remains that if there are increased temperatures this year (as the data shows) then the increased associated intensity of the hurricanes is going to make this nightmare - hell.

Unless of course you don't believe in global warming - then everything is hunky dory !! Except for that cartel of doomsday NWO who are somehow organizing this massive conspiracy without any evidence ever emerging of it - ever.....

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 12:34 AM
link   
Thanks for including the water conditions as a factor in your hypothesis. As it is not my area of expertise I hope any ATS members who are up on this jump on board to brainstorm it with you. I don't understand why the MSM hasn't included it as a factor? Why do you think they have left it out?

STM

[edit on 5/17/2010 by seentoomuch]

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 12:40 AM
link   
The pipe / bore size of the Ixtoc I blowout might give us perspective of the Deepwater Horizon. The Ixtoc had a pipe that was 9-5/8", compared to the 20" Horizon pipe.

The well was initially flowing at a rate of 30,000 barrels per day (1 barrel = 42 US gallons = 159 litres), which was reduced to around 10,000 bpd by attempts to plug the well. Two relief wells were drilled to relieve pressure and the well was eventually killed nine months later on 23 March 1980.
members.tele2.nl...

Going by these rough numbers one could argue that it would take 4.5 months to reach Ixtoc levels, unlike some reporting that suggests we're already that far gone.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Just a wild thought here: Don't your images of the dead zone match the layout for rigs in the Gulf? An overlay would be great. I'm not really good with embedding images, maybe it's seepage from the rigs,

STM

Edit to add: or maybe seepage from test holes they didn't bother to close properly, who polices that?

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by audas
Hmm - lack of understanding of global warming is unhealthy

Then I suppose that all of humanity is unhealthy as even the Climategate "scientists" secretly admitted that humans are NOT far enough along to accurately predict it the way they act like they can:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

however the fact remains that if there are increased temperatures this year (as the data shows)

Data please...

then the increased associated intensity of the hurricanes is going to make this nightmare - hell.

That's a jump in logic. Just because there could be hurricane activity doesn't mean it would affect the incident region.

And as I've already argued history shows that huge storms clean up oil messes, meaning you should have hope that they'll cap the damn leak and then some big storms sweep through there:

Storm surge across Padre Island associated with 'norther' storm. 13 September 1979. Most oil was removed from the shoreline during the storm.
LINK

Except for that cartel of doomsday NWO who are somehow organizing this massive conspiracy without any evidence ever emerging of it - ever.....

Nice Straw Man attempt

No "evidence"?

World Rulers Calling for Global NWO
Ignorance Is Futile

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 12:55 AM
link   

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join