It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newlywed astronaut puts honeymoon on hold as he begins 18-month simulated Mars mission

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Newlywed astronaut puts honeymoon on hold as he begins 18-month simulated Mars mission

www.dai lymail.co.uk

Russian astronaut Alexei Sitev should be at least planning his honeymoon after tying the knot with the love of his life four weeks ago.

But instead Sitev and his bride Ekaterina Golubeva will be spending their first 18 months of married life apart.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Breaking News Forum Submission Guidelines – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 16/5/2010 by Mirthful Me]

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 06:16 PM
link   
I feel sad for his wife, she only has one week to get all the 1 on 1 time before he gets started on his simulated trip.

But on the other hand, ESA is taking some steps towards a real mission to Mars. This is very exciting news, maybe we will get a chance to see humans land on the Red Planet.

Above is the simulator. These astronauts will be locked in a windowless chamber for 520 days.

Mod Edit: Breaking News Forum Submission Guidelines – Please Review This Link.

www.dai lymail.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 16/5/2010 by Mirthful Me]

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by prionace glauca

Excellent thread!
One thing that struck me as odd was that they would only be allowed contact with only the other "astronauts" for the duration of the simulation. I thought that even astronauts in space were even allowed to speak with their loved ones via telephone, or am I wrong?

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Afterthought

You are but it would be more in the form of video emails and such as the further you get from earth the longer it takes for data and info to reach back home. Unless you didn't mind a rather long lag period between sentences
We haven't quite invented Star Wars "HoloNet" yet...damn shame too
S+F Well they will be all the more appreciative of each other when he is done...You know the whole "Absence makes the heart grow fonder" thing and all.

[edit on 16-5-2010 by djvexd]

[edit on 16-5-2010 by djvexd]

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 01:18 AM
link   
I wonder what the pay is for an 18 month prison sentence?

12,960 hours... wonder what an astronaut's hourly wage would be?

[edit on 17-5-2010 by Gamecock]

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Mars 500

The above link is for the Mars 500 simulated mission. It goes on about the brief bio's of the crew, the mission details, etc etc. This is pretty exciting to have such training already taking place.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by djvexd

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I get so confused about what technology exists & when it's used, not to mention the who, what, how, & why. You're certainly right about distance making the heart grow fonder! I hope they don't have anything planned for an entire week when he gets back!

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Now with quantum's getting more research and funding, instantaneous communications will be achieved if humans attempt such a trip, I mean when they attempt such a trip.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 02:11 PM
link   
High protein meals+6 Men in small enclosed area = A massive natural gas buildup

There better be some heavy duty air cleaners in the joint. Eww the thought makes me feel a little sick.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Gamecock

dunno what hourly wage would be but if there getiing overtime there gonna MAKE bank hope they send it to his wife atleast while hes in there to help her pay the bills

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 01:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gamecock
I wonder what the pay is for an 18 month prison sentence?

12,960 hours... wonder what an astronaut's hourly wage would be?

[edit on 17-5-2010 by Gamecock]

salary for a U.S Astronaut starts at $38,000 and with a maximum of $80,000 if i am correct, nothing amazing when considering the job they are actually doing (furthering humanity's evolution & expansion as a race) so i can imagine any other form of Astronaut would be on similar or less pay

new topics

top topics

join