It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. police departments deploying heavy armor

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 05:04 PM
link   
U.S. police departments deploying heavy armor
BY RAMIT PLUSHNICK-MASTI
The Associated Press

PITTSBURGH, Pa. — After six people were shot in the city's Homewood neighborhood, Pittsburgh police rolled in with a 20-ton armored truck with a blast-resistant body, armored rotating roof hatch and gunports.

No arrests were made during the sweep in the $250,000 armored vehicle, paid for with Homeland Security money. But the show of force sent a message.

Whether it was the right message is a matter of debate.

www.policeone.com...

I understand the need for SWAT vehicles and the fact that our police force in many cases are totally out gunned but What use would the Police in the US have for this?
www.youtube.com...

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 05:12 PM
link   
I say more power to them. Every city and town should have at least
one of these. The police are far outgunned with the gangs and
criminal element having a lot more firepower. Maybe this will send
a message that the police are sick and tired of the crap in the streets.
Time to take back the streets of this country from all the thugs and losers.

[edit on 16-5-2010 by endtimer]

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by endtimer

As the article brings out, this type of vehicle could also send the wrong message. The intimidation of the general populace isn't what the police force needs.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by RedmoonMWC

That vehicle would work real well for the old lady going 5 miles over the speed limit.

Or, they could use it when someone fails to pay their income taxes properly.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 05:35 PM
link   
This is exactly the kind of stuff the borders need. Add some heavy duty suspension and tires & we have got ourselves a nice setup to hunt down some Cayotes.

I like the Delta Force buggy as the equipment of choice but the above vehicle would be a step in the right direction.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 05:48 PM
link   

The general population won't be intimidated. Why would they? If you don't do any thing wrong, you don't have anything to worry about.

The police aren't doing this to intimindate EVERYBODY. Just the toilet scum who deserve it.

I say more power to them. I know certain parts of Phoenix that could use those bad boys every now and then.

Peace

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by prionace glauca

The point of the border patrol is to take them alive if possible, but I could see those running on the border, north or south. In the case where 2 or 3 Border agents are out numbered by 20 or so illegals.
But for the general police force to have, can't see it, other than in a large metro area where gang wars are prevelant, not in small town America.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 05:54 PM
link   
They need to send a few of those to Chicago. They've had more murders this year than all US soldier deaths in Iraq and Afghanistan in the same time period. And they need to tell DARPA to get cracking on that exo-skeleton armor they've been working on.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by warpcrafter

Personally I think all they would need to do is allow Concealed carry, or CCW (carrying a concealed weapon) this would solve a plethora of problems. See my previous post : www.abovepolitics.com...

edit to add en.wikipedia.org...
check the map.

[edit on 16-5-2010 by RedmoonMWC]

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 12:01 AM
link   
When the banks and corporations suck all the wealth out of a nation, what your left with is slums and criminals. Look at Mexico if you need an example.

Look at Norway if you need an example of the country with the lowest crime rate & one of the highest per capita incomes.

There you have it.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   

I believe it would be up to the local PD to show proper judgment when deploying a vehicle such as this. If they can't they shouldn't be allowed its use.

I think this would be something to show at the PD booth at fairs since all kids love climbing through a big vehicle of any kind.

top topics

join