It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Instant Death of the Oceans

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   
NEWS FLASH! From The Gulf of Thailand.
I have received an alarming phone call from friends who reside on a very remote and beautiful island in the Gulf of Thailand famous for it's amazing corals, clams and reef fish.
I also live there but I am not there now. We snorkel regularly and my friends have photographed the reef, sharks, corals and fish everyday for 3-4 months.
There is coral bleaching and damage due to fisherman and tourism but all in all the ocean floor is very well intact and healthy.
They claim that in the last 48 hours a huge section of reef has completely collapsed, even giant clams that are bright purple, appear to have rotted.
I have no photographs, although I will in two days.

Although Occam's Razor suggests this could be anything, what i need to know here is........

IS it possible the spill in THe Gulf of Mexico is affecting the earths oceans this fast?

Has any other scuba divers or snorkelers noticed this?

We are located so far away I can not see the possibility of this been related.

I am posting this not to alarm people, but to put my friends at ease, as they are actually freaking out about it.

edited 'All Caps' in title

[edit on 16/5/10 by masqua]

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 04:15 PM
link   
It would take
a year and a half
for the fastest ocean
currents to carry anything
from the gulf to Thai waters.

I would look for a local source.

David Grouchy

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Well this seems to coincide with the current thread going on right now.
"Warning: Real Threat: Post Glacial Rebound."
www.abovetopsecret.com...
I wouldnt be suprised if this had something to do with it.

Edit- scary stuff

[edit on 16-5-2010 by Common Good]

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Not so much an 'instant' death of the oceans...it's an ongoing process that should be way, way more alarming than we think. The vid below illustrates a number of reasons and examples of our changing environment. What we're doing to the ecology of oceans is gonna hit us long before the effects of global warming...

20 years without considering the effects of oil leaks

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Ok, they are so alarmed from what they have seen today they are compiling the info to send to the BBC.
There is oil exploration 60 km away from this area and we have been warned that this process can and will be devestating for out ecosysem.

However what is confusing me is they are not saying it has died, they are saying it is completely destroyed. And they insist that it happened in the space of 48 hours.

There was things such as dynamite fishing here in the past but not any more, and there are so many dive operators that the whole island whould know if the reef was been bombed.

I am intrigues, and I will be there to photograph it day after tomorrow.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Like totally destroyed within 48 hours !

I know of some toxins that can kill within that time period on land. They have to be directly planted or inserted in plants and trees.
In the ocean this would be way more easy to do cause destruction and to spread.

If this is true it's bad. I assume that this can only be caused by toxic waste or something.

I'm keeping an eye out for your pictures.

@ Kandinsky

Thanks for the vid. Very disturbing.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Sinter Klaas

My friends have only snorkeled at two sites to find the same thing, but literally by tomorrow this phenominan will be documented and all over the net as there are many marine videographers living there. It was 4am when they rang me, they had spend all night confirming their disbelief by comparing all the photos they took before with those of the last two days.
Due to the tourist nature of this island I do not think a major chemical spill would go unnoticed as it is a swimming paradise. And there are Fisheries based right on the main reef.

We are talking about right in the Centre of the Gulf of Thailand. And the underwater landscapes they have seen today are right near the shore so they are easily accessable.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 06:16 PM
link   
How about changing the title of this thread?

Instant death of the oceans?

I think that you're being a little alarmist. Perhaps in order to get stars and flags. As a result, you get none from me.

I will look forward to the promised photos though.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Just throwing it out there but could it be related to underwater changes in gases ?

Do you have undersea volcanoes there ?

This is not to be alarmist , merely a.n. other reason ?

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by dampnickers

You should watch that vid. Kandinsky posted.

Not good at all...

The OP is posting something that could be devastating. He even says so...

Unfortunately a title has to draw you in or it won't get any attention at all.
It worked for you didn't it.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Interesting! I hope you keep us updated here... Even the idea is disturbing!

Thanks from having courage to post this alarm for us, even at moment of lacking evidence about it. I really hope its nothing more than false alarm, but from my first hand knowlegdge - I talk with my wife in Thailand today, and she said that heat and drough is just overwhelming there, and never happen before like this.

Raining season havent started like season has always started before May, and people are scared about this in middle parts of Thailand. They, in masses, are gathering in temples for praying rains to start.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 03:54 AM
link   
I see it sounds alarmist, that's because the people who reported this to me are very alarmed. I have made it clear that I felt there would be an explanation, and was sure it could not be related to the rig explosion in the Gulf of Mexico.
Now I have watched all the videos too and I am alarmed, although not convinced this situation in The Gulf of Thailand in this isolated isle is related, the sudden changes in ecosystems might be.
I have lived and swam on this reef for 15 years and have never seen overnight changes as described by the witnesses.

Drawing attention to it to et some answers asap was necessary. I have seen a few photos now, although I will wait until tomorrow where I can look myself before I post them.
Over reaction with the title, soory if it gave anyone nightmares. It just fitted in to things going on at the moment.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 08:25 AM
link   
[edit on 17-5-2010 by stmichael]

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by serpentine

From the perspective of a Earth loving creature likes myself, I think its possible but may require more data. Example for this type of suffication would be this. Yes the Oil hasnt traveled over so much distance as to impact the total ocean as of yet but picture this if you can....

If me and say 20 people were stuck within a large room with no ventilation we would all be able to breath for some time in this large room w/o any changes. But add a small fire at the oppisite side of this room and whats next the entire room inhabitants are in danger of suffication/death from a small fire all the way on the other side of the room that is eliminating the OXYGEN WITHIN THE ENTIRE ROOM (catching on all
). This may be the same type of situation that is occuring within the oceans as of now, but MORE DATA IS NEEDED TO PROVE IT BUT 1 DOESNT DOUBT THE POSSIBILITIES!!!

[edit on 5/17/10 by Ophiuchus 13]

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 10:09 AM
link   
I have had the privy of scuba in the Caribbean...over a span off and on over 30 years...on my very infrequent trips to various islands.

Things have changed so it is very very alarming.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 10:12 AM
link   
I too live in the gulf of thailand, but i am not much of a snorkler or diver, just a swimmer and i havn't seen any changes in coral or heard any talk about it ... yet.
the water is currently incredibly warm, and has been for some time, at least where i swim. like JanusFIN said, the heat and drought this year is unusual.
as i understand coral is incredibly sensitive to temperature changes, so, hopefully, it is just that, what causes coral to die off in some areas

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Sinter Klaas

Hiya Sints, thanks for the support of the video

I was going to post a thread this weekend featuring the video, but my thread-fu is weak and I wasn't sure about the length. People prefer a shorter video. Maybe someone with a popular name should post it?

Many parts are disturbing. In particular, the contrast between those 'biggest fish' images from the 50s compared to now. Also to paraphrase, 'We've destroyed more of the ocean floor ecology than all the forests we've cleared in the past 150 years.' Genuinely alarming and unlikely to stop until there's too little left to make it 'economically viable.' Pffft...jobs and economics override broader self-preservation

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   
I thought the video was great but then went on a search through the site. The video - View of a Pristine Ocean by Eric Sala - is fantastic viewing.

The simple Idea that subsidising fishing is costing $35bn and preserving 20% of the ocean would only cost $19bn is a no brainer.

Im going to spread this video about everywhere ! Well done and an ace find!

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by serpentine

This is very interesting and alarming if it's that bad. Will wait for pictures. The description, though not detailed, sounds like an explosion or collapse, not oil. But just speculating...

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Kandinsky

Yes a very nasty side effect from consumerism and a little bit of greed.
Yet nobody wants to give up a little of their part because we are brain washed in to thinking we don't have enough.

To be honest. I'm actually shocked that it is that bad.It could take millenia for those muddy cemetaries called continental shelf harbour life again.

The mere thought sickens me.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join