It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prog/Math Rock: Your thoughts and favorites

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Progressive rock (prog) is music that isn't just your average 3 chord blues-based rock. It uses innovative melodies, unusual chord structures, and unusual instrumentation.

Math Rock is a sub-genre of bands that incorporate syncopation, odd time signatures, and multiple changes to their music.

Some examples would be: Rush, Tortoise, Slint, June of 44, Yes, Flaming Lips, etc.

Many post-punk bands have released albums that could arguably fall into the above categories. Like Fugazi's "End Hits", or Unwound's "Leaves Turn Inside You".

Although I'm a fan of all the bands I listed above, I would have to list Polvo as one of my all time picks. Their latest album "In Prism" is great. Sigur Ros is another great band in this style.

What are your favorite bands of these related genres?

Which of their albums would you recommend the most?

[edit on 16/5/2010 by Chamberf=6]

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Chamberf=6

Progrock and progmetal are two of my favorite styles . Something about the epicness and moodiness that progressive music offers reaches me on a more personal level than any other style of music. As a musician I really can appreciate the amount of skill that goes into this style of music .

Two of my favorite bands are dream Theater And between the buried and me . Dream Theater is more of Progrock with an opera trained singer they have over 10 cd in almost 30 years there are very few songs I do not like from them

Then there is Between the buried and me and they are like progmetal on steroids that will break out into all sorts of styles from jazz to salon hilly billy music , as far as scream singing I am very pick but this singer pulls it off with style IMHO with with a great normal voice for their many time changes

ETA hope you enjoy , or even to look in this thread as you linked it in the ats cliches thread today

on the thread
edit on 1/4/13 by freedomSlave because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by freedomSlave

Holy crap!

After almost 3 years I got a response!

I totally agree with you about Dream Theater.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chamberf=6
reply to post by freedomSlave

Holy crap!

After almost 3 years I got a response!

LOL I was posting and laughing with my wife and exactly word for word that is what you would of said to yourself after getting your first post on this thread .

she is a fellow atser and progger

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Where would Radiohead fit in?

Do they fit anywhere?

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 09:12 PM
link   
The rusty chains of prison moons are shattered by the sun~
I walk a road, horizon's changed the tournament's begun~
the purple piper plays his tune, the choir softly sing
three lullabies in an ancient tongue
for the court of the crimson kiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiingggggg
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhahaahahhhhhhhhh

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Игра Стаклених Перли (Igra Staklenih Perli) - Гуштеров Трг (Gušterov Trg) - (1979)

Игра Стаклених Перли (Igra Staklenih Perli) - Врт Светлости (Vrt Svetlosti) - (1980)

Игра Стаклених Перли (Igra Staklenih Perli) - Мајестетски Крај (Majestetski Kraj) - (1979)

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Is this Prog rock or Math rock or just pure genius?

I am, as a musician, genuinely interested.

Sorry if the questions seem naive,

It's your own fault for putting this thread into a comment somewhere on the boards.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 04:24 AM
link   

Il Balletto di Bronzo - Meditazione (1970)

Chi sono io, senza te
solo un attimo
un uomo che non sa più
in cosa credere
io sento che
dentro me, nasce già
tanta musica
la sinfonia che io
dedico a te, a te

chi siamo noi, dirlo sai
non è facile
qualcosa che durerà
più di me, più di te
io sento che dentro me
nasce già, tanta musica
la sinfonia che io
dedico a te, a te

Il Balletto di Bronzo - Missione Sirio 2222 (1970)

Un'astronave sta morendo
perduta nell'immensità
uomini soli nello spazio
nessuno più li aiuterà
stanno correndo verso il sole
che non raggiungeranno mai
hanno le stelle dentro gli occhi
nel cielo freddo di lassù
c'è tanta luce in quel silenzio
la luce dell'eternità
uomini soli nello spazio
ma il mondo non li scorderà
uomini soli nello spazio
ma il mondo non li scorderà

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Semiramis - Per una strada affollata (1973)

Semiramis - La bottega del rigattiere (1973)

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 12:48 AM
link   

Il Rovescio Della Medaglia - Il Giudizio (1971)

Il Rovescio Della Medaglia - La grande fuga (1973)

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 05:39 AM
link   
I'm surprised you mention Prog/Math and don't bring up Dillinger Escape Plan???

This is my friends band, Foreboding Ether. One of their members sometimes frequents this forum, but I doubt he'd see this... Prog metal/djent

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Genesis - Fly On A Windshield (1974)

Genesis - The Knife (Paris, January 10th 1973)

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 10:10 AM
link   
I'm surprised no one mentioned the band Muse. They're so awesome I'm rocking out in my cheer.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 01:03 PM
link   
June of 44 -- Of Information and Belief

Slint -- Good Morning, Captain

Polvo -- Beggar's Bowl Probably my fave out of these 3

edit on 4/27/2013 by Chamberf=6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 01:19 AM
link   
cool more stuff was added

I just found this band tonight while surfing youtube haven't been this excited about a band since for awhile

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 09:31 AM
link   
That's weird, went ont youtube and in the recommendations was Haken from above but different song.
Haken made me think of Mr. Bungle at times, Rush at time, something else at other times..cool.

Here's one from Them Crooked Vultures (Dave Grohl, Josh Homme, and John Paul Jones of Zepplin) -- "No one loves me and neither do I". The end is very Led Zeppilin sounding...

edit on 4/29/2013 by Chamberf=6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 11:12 AM
link   

That was a cool song from them crooked vultures , kinda reminded me of queens of the stone age meets foofighters meets led zeplin . might have another cd to buy

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 05:16 AM
link   
I've been super into a band called Within The Ruins, as you can tell from my avatar. that's their new album cover. They are some times called Mathcore or math metal. Wikipedia has them listed as Deathcore or Metalcore. Whatever you call them they are sick. If Pantera, Beethoven, and a grizzly bear made a baby, it would be Within The Ruins.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 05:25 AM
link   
Another one i listen to is a band from Brooklyn, New York called Candiria. They blend various styles of music, including metal, hardcore, hip hop, jazz and ambient. Candiria have often dubbed their sound "urban fusion". I put them in the early mathcore category. They haven't had an album in a while, the old stuff is cool. They started out in the early 1990's.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join