It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas schools board rewrites US history with lessons promoting God and guns

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 08:04 AM
link   
How about putting the factual truth in school books, no matter what side it supports. I would much rather see a group lobby for books to contain the truth rather than the information that supports an agenda. People seem more concerned about kids learing what they believe rather than learning what the FACTUAL TRUTHS are.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 08:08 AM
link   

a belief in America as a nation chosen by God as a beacon to the world, and free enterprise as the cornerstone of liberty and democracy. l

Question is...which god?

You have haSatan amongst a few others that are elohim that are pretty darned evil and dark. Yes they can read the bible, speak of Jesus very fondly without disintegrating yet be an enemy of the one true most high G-d

I take that back....there is really no such thing as Jesus as they have told it. So....

[edit on 17-5-2010 by superluminal11]

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Please forgive me, but THAT Article sums up exactly why most of Europe (Finland, Sweden, Norway, Germany etc.) considers American Elementary and High School systems more as a joke than real education..or thats the impression around here.... In my country there is even joke: The worst student in Finland gloats as genius in US.
Seriously.
That's the joke one teacher made, when he discussed with class about mathematical level of US students compared to finnish ones (well it was about exams, but shifted somehow towards education level in different countries....). From what I heard he has been in States and while being there, he visited some schools and apparently worked for some time in States.
I wouldn't send my children to American school even if I were paid. Well, one year as exchange student would be probably fine, but NOTHING more.
You really need to take examples in education from South-korea, Japan, Finland and other countries, which have much better education level than USA.

[edit on 17-5-2010 by SpeDeZo]

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 08:41 AM
link   
On the surface of things, we may understand a certain sense of indignation on the emphasis of "God and guns." Looking deeper we can envision why a nation renowned for freedom makes legal rulings that allow torture, based on stripping people of United States citizenship, or because they are foreign. Our rights may be guaranteed through a government limited by the bill of rights, but they proceed on the basis of our humanity, that we are "endowed by our Creator with those rights. It is not of little consequence that our government argues against "Constitutional rights," when those rights proceed from an understanding of inalienable rights in the same way as formerly a "divine right of kings," indicated a basis of action. A government deriving its powers through the people is given greater force in defending those rights than in stripping those rights away.

Regardless of any superficial indignation on this selected issue, a deeper understanding of where we are, where we are headed, and what we are doing indicates a return to faith in our Creator versus abandonment of our very founding principles of inalienable rights. They are rights, not a notion. They are rights, not a privilege. They are rights and they are beyond the pale of a tyrannical government.

The Jeffersonian aspects of this argument are based upon a theology far less constricted than the official dogma of the Church of England. The latter sat through history as an extension of the King. A naturalist vision of the creator in faith, and independent of any institution, especially from 503c Churches comparable to the official Churches in China, is poignant.

As we face a growing institutional government with its own faiths, that rules people have no rights based on a citizenship they can freely strip away on suspicion only, is the far greater argument for a return to the Declaration of Independence in our understand of the import of history into our notional and national government.

Through that vision we can more fully understand why the second amendment more fully guarantees power though "We the people," when facing a considerable deterrent against an intrusive and falsely considered "powerful government.' In fact a government abandoning human rights, weakens itself daily, by weakening what used to be its own people.

While one cannot necessarily defend the decision in Texas completely, it appears more in the direction of where we ought to be, than the reverse.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 08:46 AM
link   
And people call the fundamentalist muslims crazy. lmao

This bitch needs to be arrested.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 09:12 AM
link   
I'm going to summarize it all:

Several changes include sidelining Thomas Jefferson, who favoured separation of church and state, while introducing a new focus on the "significant contributions" of pro-slavery Confederate leaders during the civil war.

It should have been made earlier and in objective light. There should be still mentions about whole picture not just part of it meaning also their views on other things.

The new curriculum asserts that "the right to keep and bear arms" is an important element of a democratic society.

So if I understand none of European countries are democracy as in these countries right to bear arms is somewhat limited or very limited.

Study of Sir Isaac Newton is dropped in favour of examining scientific advances through military technology.

This is complete....I don't know how this is represented in current books, but Newton's theories are essential. I don't know much but history isn't so much about personalities as much is it about events.

There is also a suggestion that the anti-communist witch-hunt by Senator Joseph McCarthy in the 1950s may have been justified.

Again, there was some Justification to back it, that's why it even succeeded somehow, but basically it was complete witch-hunt hitting more left oriented people, who even openly were against communists. Charlie Chaplin is good example of barking on the wrong three..

The education board has dropped references to the slave trade in favour of calling it the more innocuous "Atlantic triangular trade", and recasts the Israeli-Palestinian conflict as driven by Islamic fundamentalism.

Well there should be both mentions. Again Israeli-Palestinian conflict is rather deep and this is just oversimplifying and taking sides in conflict.

I haven't ever seen American history book, but they should be written in objective language without any needless emotional expressions.

One Nation Under God, in which she argued that the United States was ultimately governed by the scriptures.

And here you are bashing Muslim radicals?
You should probably look yourself in the mirror. As state should be separated from religion it is somewhat hilarious hypocrisy that in US dollar bills you have "In god we trust". I believe in something more powerful , but heck..... official claims that you have separated government and religion is pure hypocrisy.

[edit on 17-5-2010 by SpeDeZo]

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Cynthia Dunbar does not have a high regard for her local schools. She has called them unconstitutional, tyrannical and tools of perversion.

I happen to hold with that view myself. Our schools have become propaganda tools that leave out the parts of our history that doesn't enhance a government agenda. You have to be on your guard with education or your kids will be filled with false information.

Like the "Atlantic Triangular Trade"...geesh...even a country bumpkin like me learned that in school over 30 years ago...to be freaking out thinking it's a "change" is part of the "dumbing down" issue with education.

There's already been a thread on the Thomas Jefferson issue, he is NOT being taken out of history.

Sometimes forward thinking keeps you moving on the wrong road.

What I see here is a very biased article.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 09:49 AM
link   
I hope this isn't against the rules...I posted this in the
I Have Become A Racsist thread...fits better here

~~a conversation overheard at a PTB summit~~

"Have you seen the numbers at these "Tea Party" rallies? It's
getting harder and harder to marginalize these idiots
thru the MSM. Reminds me of the Hippies back in
the sixties. That little movement ended our payday in Vietnam.
Question is...What are we gonna do about it?"

"Divide and conquer, sir."

"Divide and conquer!?...Who is this egg-head nerd we let into
our meetings? Did you hear what I just said, son!? The Republican
Democrat thing is played out. We tried to paint the Republicans as racist
over Obama and it's getting thrown in our faces...hell, the two party's
are coming together as we speak. And because of this "Blow Out
Congress" movement, we are very liable to lose KEY
members of both the House AND the Senate.

"Divide and conquer, sir. Not Republican and Democrat. Not black and white.
But immigrant illegal against natural citizen. I and the rest of your hired,
egg-head nerds, as you call us, have had this contingency on the back-
burner for your protection. Now is the time to implement...to be truthful,
we have already implemented various aspects of this division thru the MSM.
Look at what we have already accomplished in Arizona. This will be your
new focus of attention, and this issue should be the deciding factor in
many of the south western elections...we egg-head nerds earn our pay,
sir."

"Hmmm..."

[edit on 17-5-2010 by rival]

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Has the Texas school board also renounced all federal funding?

If they're self sufficient then I suppose it's their right to teach (or omit) whatever they please, but under Bush's 'No Child Left Behind' legislation students are required to pass the standardized tests for their schools to retain funding.

Having talked to teachers over the NCLB standards, I heard strong opposition due to the fact that they felt they no longer had time to actually teach because it was all spent making sure students memorized the required materials to pass the standardized tests. It would seem that if they're still counting on federal funding they wouldn't have much opportunity to divert from the 'standard' curriculum.

[edit on 5/17/10 by redmage]

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 10:08 AM
link   
So... if... the US is God's chosen land... what does that make Texas Secessionists? Just saying....

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Carseller4
I agree with the Texas School Board. For too many years liberals had their say in what goes into text books, it was political correctness run amuk. Time to even it up a bit!

The funny thing is that the conservatives are far more guilty of using their own version political correctness. Anything that questions Christianity, conservative political leaders, any acknowledgment of historical crimes against or contributions by non-whites, military misdeeds, or even mentioning the enlightenment's contribution to the founding of this country are simply forbidden.

For example, the conservative political correctness goes into full swing every Christmas when conservatives express their outrage over those that refuse to say Merry Christmas. Happy Holidays is simply not the correct conservative politically correct thing to say.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by ToToo

Reading this reminds me of the hilarious Jerry Springer episodes where all the dysfunctional guests all had deep southern accents. At first I thought the show was located in the deep, deep south but then heard it was located in Chicago. Since Chicago folks dont have such an accent, apparently all the guests were flown in from the south. Very amusing to watch, but sad to think that such unevolved and backwards folks still exist today.

[edit on 17-5-2010 by SunIsSon]

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Just like Jehovah's Witness these neo conservatives pervert the Christian religion and claim God blesses their wicked, discriminating and warring actions.

God and guns ARE mutually exclusive.
If God actually did bless the neo cons as they say I think they should have won the last election. Right now however... these folks should take the hint they were given.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Sad really. Too bad schools are now a place for indoctrination and pushing agendas instead of just teaching ALL of the facts and letting the student sort it out.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 12:43 PM
link   
America was the ideal and a model for other countries to aspire to.

During the past 30 years or so many other countries have copied what was good about America and left what was not behind. This is how they have surpassed us in survival rates such as infant mortality and death by gun violence.

We are ranked (not number one) but actually 27th in infant mortality and as far as the gun violence at least a dozen other countries have greater survival rates.
So yeah we have all these freedoms but we are more likely to die here in the US by a hand gun or during birth than other people in many other countries.

Go USA!

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by SunIsSon

LOL, thats an excellent comparison. Its unfortunate but the guests on the Jerry Springer show really display the ways of many of the folks down there quite well.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Glad I don't live in texas and my kids won't be attending these type of schools.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by ToToo

I live in Texas and there is truth in what you say. Within site of my house, that is in a fairly nice area, are two nice, middle class type houses surrounded by the house trailers of the relatives that moved into the yard and never left. Each location has multiple generations, with a few children of questionable ancestry thrown in. These are not the only examples of this kind of living arrangement I know about.

A few years ago I had a landlord, who told me, regarding her 15 year old pregnant daughter, "She is not ruining her life! She is going to have a baby, and it's beautiful!" The daughter, who had quit high school, was sitting in front of the TV at 8 a.m. eating a chocolate covered doughnut and drinking a Coke as her mother told me of her "beautiful" life to come. The daughter was impregnated by the Mexican college student they rented a room to.

Don't say anything bad about their Jesus though. You could get hurt for that.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Titen-Sxull
reply to post by Vitchilo

Well yes, but all humans were created under God... and since America is (supposed) to be a beacon of freedom and all laws based on natural law, aka God's law, that's why it's called a nation founded under god... because it's based on God's principles...

No. The United States Constitution is SO FAR from anything that's in the Bible its not even funny. The Founders were Deists who believed in separation of Church and State because of what had happened for years in Europe (everything from Crusades to Inquisitions). The Bible says people who work on the Sabbath should be killed and personifies God as a tyrant King damning all oppose him to Hell. The Bible is a poor moral code and is neither the original basis for our laws or our Constitution.

The madness that is happening in Texas is bad enough but to know that what Textbooks Texans use usually apply to the whole country makes this a frightening development indeed.

You need to spend more time Reading the founders actual words rather than what some text book tells you they believed in.

These men were not deists. Most of them were devout Christians of different flavors. The Constitution drew heavily from many philosophical texts, the Bible and Qur'an among them. Cicero, Plato, and others philosophies contributed to our governmental system with an emphasis on individual rights.

[edit on 17-5-2010 by projectvxn]

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
ARE any of you Texans?
Seriously!

They have their right to conduct their business as Texans see fit. Don't like?

Too bad!

Texas

Trust me I am a Texan and this place is falling apart. If I ever have kids I sure as hell won't send them to public school If this place ever seceded from the union. I would so move to another state no questions asked. This place would be ran by racists and religion nut bags.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join