It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BP says siphon tube is working

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Just Wondering
I don't believe I fit the definition of "troll". I start threads and use facts and links to back up my statements.

I'm not saying you are.

I asked a question.

I think a troll simply jumps in, says something rude and then jumps out to his next target.

Kind of like your thread history. This Disaster makes me want to puke! Every time I update myself I get a nauseating feeling deep down inside!

so no...I am not a troll, I actually contribute to threads.

Mainly aimed at spreading disinfo In My not so Humble Opinion!

Which brings me to you. lets see, you jumped in, made a brash statement and jumped out...hhmmm...

Have you ever danced with the Devil by the pale moonlight?

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by haterproof

After all, he has done an excellent job

Some of us are just wondering what Just wondering is????

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by alchemist2012

Well, it is gone now. Probably being debriefed and re-briefed and checking in with its broker...oh, and looking for a beguiling new avatar.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Mkay, soooo...

Basically, their so-called repair is pretty much exactly the same principle as putting half of a coffee-stirring straw (ya know the really HARD short thin ones) under the bathtub's water spout on full pressure (highly conservative still)?

Sounds to me like they're pretty much just trying to save ANY amount of money at all. As well as the fact that now they have an excuse to NOT completely render the well moot by just blocking it off..."But we'll break the straw we spent hours and hours inserting!"

21" (dashes) |------------------------|
04" (dashes) |----|

Hmm...yep that pretty much covers it I think. Doesn't look like they're even getting HALF of what's coming out. And that's not even taking into account the positive pressure from the leak OR difference in the vacuum anti-pressure their feeble human machinery is capable of producing.

Glad that's all taken care of. :/ Now let's us move on to the economy, eh? Right...

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Bickering and insulting each other is not going to clean up the oil spill. Only time will tell what happens with this mess.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by seanizle
Bickering and insulting each other is not going to clean up the oil spill. Only time will tell what happens with this mess.

With where I am and what I have, there is nothing I can do to help this leak. If I can help to call out an obvious disinformation shill trolling ATS with a clear agenda and lack of understanding of what is presented to the, I might as well.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Actually putting a 4 inch pipe into the 21 inch pipe may be a very good idea.

They are dealing with a mix if oil and natural gas.

The natural gas is under high pressure and as it exits the 21 inch pipe and mixes with water it turns to Methane clathrate(methane ice)
en.wikipedia.org...

Since there are other leaks in the pipe and when the try to pump the oil some of these leaks may draw in water forming Methane clathrate you want to keep the pressure in the system high enough that this ICE does not plug the siphon tube.
When you decrees a pipe size with a set amount of gas flowing through it the speed of flow will increase and the pressure will increase and the temperature will not drop.

This is what happened when they tried the containment dome.
as the gas exited the pipe the pressure dropped and the gas mixed with water forming Methane clathrate ice.

By not allowing the pressure to drop with the siphon system the ice will not form or because the gas is traveling at high enough speed through the pipe it does not have a chance to build up on the inside of the pipe and block it.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

Yep yep...Star and expansion.

If they need to keep the pockets of gas smaller so they don't ice-clog all up, I can see why they'd use a smaller pipe...I just hope some of those bean counters see this is a solution that might just multiply their oil intake by about 18 times...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/697ceedae853.jpg[/atsimg]

I'm not a rocket scientist, but does this seem like common sense to anyone else? Hopefully, they're doing just that...

EDIT: Trust me there's 18 more. I hope no one got fingerprints on their screens.

[edit on 16-5-2010 by lagnar]

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 12:18 AM
link   
By JEFFREY COLLINS and JASON DEAREN, Associated Press Writers Jeffrey Collins And Jason Dearen, Associated Press Writers – 1 hr 2 mins ago

NEW ORLEANS – Oil company engineers on Sunday finally succeeded in keeping some of the oil gushing from a blown well out of the Gulf of Mexico, hooking up a mile-long tube to funnel the crude into a tanker ship after more than three weeks of failures.

Millions of gallons of crude are already in the water, however, and researchers said the black ooze may have entered a major current that could carry it through the Florida Keys and around to the East Coast.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 05:12 AM
link   
Disaster NOT averted:

researchers said the black ooze may have entered a major current that could carry it through the Florida Keys and around to the East Coast.

Scientists said they had found giant plumes of oil in the deep water of the gulf, including one as large as 10 miles long, 3 miles wide and 300 feet thick.

The slick itself stretches more than 80 miles wide and more than 140 miles long.

Source

That's 11,200 square miles of crap floating around in the Gulf of Mexico. Which makes the oil spill larger than the following states:

Hawaii, Massachusetts, Vermont, New Hampshire, New Jersey, Connecticut, Delaware, Rhode Island. (Source.)

As far as I know, they're only using ONE, 4 inch tube to siphon. The tube has fins around it to prevent oil from escaping out around it. Picture here.

I still have not read anything about the other leaks in the riser, which bothers me... a lot. I also would like to know why they didn't try this at the WELLHEAD instead of the end of the riser.

[edit on 5/17/10 by Angry Danish]

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 05:19 AM
link   
WOW Some ATS members actually scare me to death!

It's almost as if you all WANT nothing to work and you all want there to be a huge mega disaster.

I bet half of you are pretending to care about the enviroment but deep down you just want your doom.

Strange

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 05:27 AM
link   
Oil giant BP said last night it was finally beginning to contain a catastrophic leak in the Gulf of Mexico nearly a month after a rig exploded.

www.mirror.co.uk...

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 05:31 AM
link   
Some ATS members actually scare me!

It's almost as if you all WANT to live in some make-believe fantasy world where what you want to happen is ACTUALLY HAPPENING, with complete disregard to reality.

We can imagine this isn't very bad and just let the government and oil companies sweep it under the rug.

I'd rather err on the side of caution, it'd be better if something like this didn't happen again and changes aren't going to happen if we play make-believe.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 05:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Angry Danish

Ive been on ATS long enough to know that any doom has 3 phrases, Phase 1: OMG DOOM, Phrase 2: This is gonna be really bad, million of people will die, Phase 3: Remember that supposed doom 3 months ago? What doom?

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 08:02 AM
link   
I may have been wrong in my calculations but the best the can do is reduce the amount pouring out by 20% (21 / 4)
So lets say the oil was leaking at the conservative amount of 200,000 barrels a day that still leaves about 160,000 barrels flowing out.
Im not sure but that doesn't sound like enough to be congratulating anyone over.
I think BP just want to hike up the cost of oil so they can sell there reserves at a huge profit.
They wont allow nuking of the reserve because they will lose whatever is left to salvage once they find a solution.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Anyone come across any of those live robot shots that show the oil leaking?
Maybe that will show how well the "fix" is working.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Just Wondering

DAUM!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9551d6d31c8a.gif[/atsimg]

You got served!

"nothing to see here folks..." pfff!
People like you, it's fair to say, are the enemies of this earth.

Tell us about your former employment at Union Carbide, would you please?
:shk:

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 10:56 AM
link   
its somewhat intentional that the riser will have to leak.
otherwise the pressure in the reserve/wellhead/riser would all equalize without the flow.

the riser can not take 30,000 psi static pressure (and some estimates on the pressure go up to 170,000 psi

not good, not fixed, disaster not averted

dr

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Morpheas posted some videos on current leak. See: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Doesn't look to be much improved to me.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Sorry, but according to reports now the tube is only getting 1000 barrels a day, and as the independent estimates of the leak range from 56,000 -70,000 on the conservative end(and 100000-200000 on the liberal), then the straw is most likely getting only 1/70th of the oil. Great save there, now we can all stop worrying, thank goodness!

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join