It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Supermassive black hole kicked out of galaxy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Supermassive black hole kicked out of galaxy

www.msnbc.msn.com

Every respectable galaxy has a supermassive black hole at its center — all except the one galaxy that has now been caught in the act of ejecting its insatiable mass-muncher. To figure out how this galaxy managed it, supercomputers were put to work.

They found that the ejection is probably the result of two mega black holes merging as part of a galaxy-on-galaxy collision.

"Since most sizable galaxies host massive black holes in their cores, mergers between such sizable galaxies should...
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   
I saw this today and thought it was quite interesting. Since I always thought that it was the super-massive black hole that kept a galaxy together, I didn't think it was even possible for it to be ejected by it's home galaxy. This is especially pertainent considering our impending collision with the Andromeda Galaxy, not that any of us will be around to see that occur.

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by JaxonRoberts

There's an angle to this information that scientists have overlooked or are concealing from us...

Black Holes have become sentient...and mobile.

OMG!

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Thanks for the info , very interesting indeed!!

Since I always thought that it was the super-massive black hole that kept a galaxy together

I thing the question is, will this galaxy remain a galaxy after it has ejected it's super massive black hole. Or will each star drift in it's own separate direction??

Peace

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kandinsky

There's an angle to this information that scientists have overlooked or are concealing from us...

Black Holes have become sentient...and mobile.

OMG!

They didn't become sentient...they have always been so.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Here's what always got me, if the Super-massive Black Hole at the center of galaxies can't be approached close enough by any probes to get a better idea of their make-up. Not to mention anything that crosses the "Event Horizon" threshold is doomed.

How do Galaxies form from something that has so much gravity that it should, for all intensive purposes be sucking it in? What keeps the bulk of the Galaxy at bay and spinning in the Universe? Like the posters mention of Andromeda and the Milky Way's eventual collision, are the two black holes pulling towards each other?...or are Galaxies moving about the Universe by some other means altogether in a random ballet similar to the way rogue asteroids and comets do in our own Solar System? In some cases the dancers bump into one another.

I think this ties into the Dark Matter theory where there is an equally strong gravitational force pulling in an opposite direction. Something to that effect any way.

Just some things I ponder upon once in awhile

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   
It's all clear now.

Black holes are actually the C'Tan.

If you get the reference, congratulations, you are a nerd.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Interesting ... Its a shame that we cannot merely study more incidents like this. If we could it might be a chance to find out if this sort of movement always occurs during a merging or if its a one off. The energies which power that motion must be absolutely enourmous , and if we could learn more about how they behave, it might be very educational for us as a species !
Thanks for bringing this to my attention !

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   
There's so much myth going around about black holes these days, they are not "holes" or gateway's to any other place, they are simply super condensed matter.

they are the beginnings of the universe pulling itself back together again, eventualy all matter will merge back as before the big bang.

galaxy's are simply the only matter left, spiraling down the cosmic drains which black holes are.

new topics

top topics

join