It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japanese Solar Sail Headed for Venus and Beyond

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Wow !

I just read an article Japan is about to launch a solar sail propelled space vehicle. AWESOME !

I knew someone was planning a trip to Venus but I didn't knew that they were going to use a sail to get there. The were planning to do this in 2004 only there were problems at the launch and they lost their prototype.

An ambitious solar sail mission designed by Japan is poised for launch tomorrow could become the first successful mission powered solely by sunlight, but that's not all. The spacecraft is also aimed at Venus and beyond, and could pave the way for a future hybrid space engine.

I was not aware that this technology was already this far in its development.

They ultimately want to develop a hybrid with an ion rocket and a sail. If I'm correct there is already an Ion rocket engine in space. I believe Deep Horizon uses this technique. Not sure tho.

Visit this link to read the full article.

Exciting times we live in ! Enjoy.

~ SK

[edit on 5/16/2010 by Sinter Klaas]

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Nice, it seems like Japan is just pushing the boundary of things. I already read a while ago that they think they can put a humanoid [I'm assuming robot] on the moon by 2015

www.space.com...

Sure are some interesting times in terms of space-faring things.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Gigantea Rosa

Yes they sure are.

Thanks for the link
I didn't read that one yet.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Sinter Klaas

Welcome.

Hopefully we can see more solar things out there or at least a new form of craft that will utilize something else. Just in case there isn't solar light to be found [when the craft goes far enough].

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Japan has been ahead
of the United States in space
for quite a while now. From what
I understand, the reason this is not
public, is because they do not wish to
embarrass us. Apparently America is viewed
as an older uncle with a drinking problem. One
to be treated with respect, but don't say anything
that will illuminate their failings or any short comings.

"JAXA has set a goal of constructing a manned lunar base in 2030.
Astronauts would be sent to the Moon by beyond 2020" Wikipedia.org

David Grouchy

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 03:14 PM
link   
I remember reading in OMNI magazine. [Yeah I'm that old anyhoo]
They had an article about solar sailing races of the future. The writer suggested that that would possibly one day open up space to everybody by having annual competitions.

Good for Japan.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by davidgrouchy

That sound like the Japanese would do indeed.
Hitting two flies at ones.

Don't make dear uncle look bad and not having to deal with a public fail.

It prevents a lot of outside pressure.

@ Slayer69

Really that old ?
I thought 69 symbolized a favorite hobby.

I actually never heard of the magazine.
But a space sailing competition sound very cool indeed.

jra

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sinter Klaas
If I'm correct there is already an Ion rocket engine in space. I believe Deep Horizon uses this technique. Not sure tho.

There is no mission called Deep Horizon. There was "Deep Impact" and "New Horizon's". However neither of them have an ion thruster. Here's a lists of missions that do.

The solar sail mission does look neat though. I sure hope it works out well for JAXA.

Originally posted by DavidGrouchy
Japan has been ahead of the United States in space for quite a while now.

On what information do you base this on?

From what I understand, the reason this is not public, is because they do not wish to embarrass us.

Emphasis mine.

So how do you know, if it's not public? Basically you're just making this up, with no supporting evidence then?

JAXA isn't capable of launching there astronauts on there own. They rely on US or the Russian's to get there astronauts into space. That alone puts JAXA behind the US Russian's and even the Chinese in terms of human space flight.

While I really like JAXA and what they're doing, they've only had a small hand full of missions and they haven't accomplished all the things that both the US and Russia have done already.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by jra

Whoops you are right. The probe uses only Hydrazine thrusters.
Linky

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by jra
So how do you know, if it's not public? Basically you're just making this up, with no supporting evidence then?

JAXA isn't capable of launching there astronauts on there own.

Thank you
for challenging.
The wiki link alone
is not sufficient evidence.
I agree. Here is some more stuff.

Japanese industry recognizes the future potential of space, and the larger Japanese mechatronics companies engage in space robotics research.

- 1991, Space Robotics In Japan, wtec.org/loyola

Japanese moon probe KAGUYA SELENE high definition video

National Space Development Agency of Japan successfully launched the H-IIA Launch Vehicle No.1 (H-IIA/F1) at 4:00 p.m. on August 29, 2001, Japan Standard Time, from Tanegashima Space Center. The launch vehicle was successfully lifted off with its flight azimuth of 90 degrees.

The H-IIA Launch Vehicle No.1 flied normally, and the second stage was successfully injected into the geostationary transfer orbit. The separation of the Laser Ranging Equipment (LRE) was confirmed about 39 minutes and 47 seconds after the lift-off.

NASDA would like to send our deep appreciation for cooperation and support of all related personnel and organizations for the launch of the H-IIA Launch Vehicle No.1.

Jaxa Archives 2001 August

You are correct though.
They are not sending people.
Their space cameras are better,
and they are planning to send robots.

David Grouchy

new topics

top topics

join