It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Haiti's neighbors pull back welcome mat

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Haiti's neighbors pull back welcome mat

www.miamiherald.com

Haitians who travel illegally to nearby nations are being deported as leaders try to avoid mass migration. `In Haiti, people are sleeping in the street and in the roadside, and I don't want to stay in a country where I have to live like a dog,'' he said Thursday, while in immigration custody in Jamaica. ``I took a boat and said, `I go anywhere!' Then I see Jamaica. And while nations such as Jamaica and the Bahamas initially announced compassionate gestures toward their Caribbean neighbor, the
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Funny how after all the global media attention wanes, so does the political desire to help people. Where did the billions of dollars in aid go to? Doesn't look like it went to housing or business development, does it? In fact, it doesn't look like we've helped at all. On top of that, these people cannot even leave the deplorable conditions.

My opinions could be totally off, of course, the only thing I have to go on is media coverage.

Jamaican Minister of Information Daryl Vaz said people misunderstood Prime Minister Bruce Golding when he said, ``We will not turn our backs'' on quake survivors. He meant Jamaica would not turn Haitians back -- at sea, Vaz said.

They are allowed entry, processed and given medical attention before being repatriated, Vaz said.

``They did land, and we provided help,'' Vaz said. ``We are not in the position to sustain that.''

Jamaica expected the international community to help pay to house Haitian migrants, and that money never arrived, he said.

www.miamiherald.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   
A Miami Herald videographer’s testimony on the non-existent Red Cross effort in Haiti. “The money collected for aid in Haiti is not being spent in Haiti.”

“Fred Sajous is in Haiti and questions the spending by NGO's there. American Red Cross CEO Gail McGovern says they are investing for the long term.”

Video

Residents of Haiti's tent city begin to relocate VIDEO

The approximately 50,000 homeless Haitians living in the Petionville camp begin to move in search of more permanent shelter. - JOSE A. IGLESIAS

Private hospital in Haiti closes its doors VIDEO

[edit on 16/5/2010 by Iamonlyhuman]

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Of course, there is the other side to all of this.

It is in stark contrast from the feel-good Haiti publicity tour by Michelle Obama and Jill Biden on 4/12/2010.

Michelle Obama: “I think that Haitians have a deep appreciation for what the world has done.”

Video

On trip to Haiti, first lady finds hope and inspiration

On trip to Haiti, first lady finds hope and inspiration. PORT-AU-PRINCE -- She cheered and danced to the welcoming sounds of quake-devastated Haitian children. She even painted a purple fish with them.

I don't think there is any way possible that Michelle Obama nor Jill Biden could have an appreciation for what the Haitians are experiencing. They cited they took a flyover tour and that all of the churches and school had been destroyed. A flyover tour?

Notice the constrast between this video and the previous videographer videos. This one shows no people living in the streets, no makeshift tents as shelter and only shows the structure that was probably constructed just for them and probably is complete with air conditioning, etc.

I have to apologize for rambling. This is sad to me.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Iamonlyhuman

OH MY GOD!!!! DUDE... EVERYONE PLEASE!! tell me it isn't so!!!!!!! the Jamaicans, carribeanians (?), etc.. are RACIST!!!!

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Where are all the armchair commentators and political pundits who should be flaming Jamaica and other Caribbean nations for not welcoming the Haitian refugees with open arms for an infinite amount of time even to the detriment of their own countries?

This is what the US is expected to do for anyone in the country illegally because "Their home country is so bad that they had to come to America", or "We all share the planet so they should be able to be in the US with no questions asked". Why aren't the standards the same for other countries who understand that they cannot simply absorb a completely unskilled segment of another country's population?

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by rebeldog

Exactly...Jamaicans and other Caribbeans are completely racist for turning away a tide of Haitians that would cause harm to their country. How dare they! They should be ashamed for having such antiquated, inhuman notions of who should be allowed in the country.

/sarcasm

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Load em up and send them to Mexico.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   
If u read those two threads,

Haiti (Deep Conspiracy)

and

Bill Clinton to be Appointed as UN Envoy to Haiti-Resource smash and grab?

It is beginning to look like Haiti has become a NWO testbed to see how they can get control back after a disaster.

That is probably why those other countries refuse refugees, not because they don't want to, but might have been told that they will lose financial aid if they do.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by rebeldog
reply to post by sc2099
reply to post by JIMC5499

Could we please keep this discussion focused on the impact to the Haitians please. This is not about Arizona or the Mexican border, this is about showing humanity in this continuing disaster, even after the cameras go home.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Grey Magic
That is probably why those other countries refuse refugees, not because they don't want to, but might have been told that they will lose financial aid if they do.

I think it's more likely just what the President of Jamaica said.

Jamaica expected the international community to help pay to house Haitian migrants, and that money never arrived, he said.

To restate it: Sure we'll help but only if it doesn't cost us anything.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iamonlyhuman
Could we please keep this discussion focused on the impact to the Haitians please. This is not about Arizona or the Mexican border, this is about showing humanity in this continuing disaster, even after the cameras go home.

Typical - the right wing xenophobes descend on this like lightning. Any chance to have a go at poor folks with nothing to their name, who just want a better life. Just typical. Fight them off IAOH.

Are we really surprised that Haiti has been dropped like a rock? Really? Yes the situation needs highlighting, but not by us - it needs to be taken up again by the international community.

Parallex.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 01:31 PM
link   
I am truly surprised at the lack of people who oppose U.S. immigration law, especially Arizona's attempt to enforce their southern border with Mexico and deport illegal immigrants, demanding these countries freely allow illegal immigration from Haiti and to open up their countries' coffers to them freely.

Of course, it's a bad thing for the U.S. to enforce immigration law, and entirely their right for other countries to, isn't it?

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Iamonlyhuman

The International community probably isn't going help them.
Countries around the world are going broke, and it isn't getting any better. Haitians are probably going to have to end up fending for themselves, meaning forming tribes and living off the land.

Peace

new topics

top topics

join