It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do people keep ashes of the dead in the house?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Yeah my friends, why do people have relatives cremated, toss the remains/ashes in some cheap thrift shop looking metal box and then put the box on some shelf or even worse, tucked away in a attic or basement?

LOL, These same folks then wonder why they have paranormal activity in their house.

I don't want the dead remains of a damn thing in a 35 miles radius around me bro, I think people who do that are asking for trouble.

If I were a ghost I would get my haunt on if someone did that to me.

[edit on 16-5-2010 by Better Mouse Trap]

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 11:49 AM
link   
When I was in High School a friend of mine died in a car crash.

His mother gave his ashes to a few of his best friends, and some proceed to snort "him" up their nose.

Others picked though and found pieces of bone and glued them to the back of a pendant of a necklace or ring of his on a necklace.

I to this day am still asking myself why they did that. lol

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by breakingdradles

My girlfriends father died a few years ago and he requested, while intoxicated, that he wants his ashes spread across some lake in Canada.

They say they will eventually honor his wish, but his remains are still in a box on the dresser.

Now, I think spirits can't rest in piece if their remains are STILL in the environment they lived.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Better Mouse Trap
LOL, These same fools then wonder why they have paranormal activity in their house.

I don't want the dead remains of a damn thing in a 35 miles radius around me bro, I think people who do that are sick and are asking for trouble.

If I were a ghost I would get my haunt on if someone did that to me.

What a load of superstitious claptrap, the only people who get haunted by ashes are people who expect to be haunted and then turn every puff of wind into a ghost.

Please think before you call people fools and sick, there are many reasons for a persons ashes to be kept.

I have had my Mothers ashes here in my house, for 4 years, waiting for her beloved husband (my dad) to join her and there hasn't been one wiff of any paranormal activity.

Now that my Dad has also passed on (few weeks ago) their ashes will be put together and set somewhere nice.
Or would you prefer that I either got rid of mums ashes or bury her alone after 72 years of marriage? They wanted to be together, even in death, so someone had to look after her ashes until he could join her.

Now if you were complaining about people doing stupid things with the ashes, as in the second post, then ok, but many people have good reasons for keeping a loved ones ashes and would not look on your attitude kindly.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Mom's in a box in my bedroom.

I offer her champagne on New Year's just cuz I know she'd appreciate the thought.

But she's there because I don't know where else to put her, and because I haven't yet fulfilled my final promise to her. She was a sparkly woman in life, loved her glitter, and I promised her the gaudiest urn I could manage. So she's in her box with a velvet cover until then.

No big. I'm sure she's been reincarnated already; perhaps someday I might run into her new self and show her her old one. Before she died we agreed on a way of recognizing each other, kind of like passwords.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by PennyQ

OK I edited my post.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by PennyQ

What a load of superstitious claptrap, the only people who get haunted by ashes are people who expect to be haunted and then turn every puff of wind into a ghost.

OK, so ghosts don't exist and all what's left are carbonised remains of dead people?

so someone had to look after her ashes until he could join her.

Isn't that also superstitious ??? How can the ashes of two different people that blow away in the wind join with each other?

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   
I personally dont get it.

I have not even visited my dad's grave - he's not there! I dont see the point of visiting some remains...? (!!)

The thought of holding onto ashes is just weird to me.

Each to his own though.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 02:16 PM
link   
I have been reading ATS for years, and never have been compelled until today to actually sign up and reply to someones post. My mother passed away very suddenly and was a shock to our entire family. One of her wishes was to be creamated. Of course we followed her wishes; however, when someone is cremated their ashes have to go somewhere. Most people who are creamated, their ashes do not go in some cheap box. Such as my mother, we put a lot thought into her vase, and purchased a bronze vase that was carved into something she loved her entire life. Moreover, let me tell you it is far from cheap to store someones ashes. Furthermore, a glass cabinet was purchased to place the vase in, (which is what most people do). Did I once in my life before this tragedy ever expect to have my mothers ashes in my house? The answer is no. However, sometimes this is how life plays out. One day when I can afford it I will probably fly to the place she most longed to return to and release her ashes. The only reason I chose to share this story briefly, is because I would like the original poster to understand why people would most likely have someones ashes in their home. It was never something they probably ever planned, they are honoring beloved family members request. Yes, most of us plan on releasing their ashes one day. However, most don't just want to dump their beloved in any random place, it has to be special, and sometimes that equals saving money.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Its like dehydrated milk.

But with a greater sentimental value.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Spirits resting in peace have nothing to do with whether or not the body is cremated, buried in the earth, or dissolved in a river.

The spirit either crosses into the light at the moment of death, or doesnt. It does not wait around to see if its body gets cremated before making the decision to haunt their relatives becasue they cremated their body.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by apacheman

I actually cried at your post - You must of had a beautiful relationship and special bond with your Mum.

I have my Mum still with me and love her very much - I just had to reply to you.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by vesta

Thanks.

Mom was a special and very unique person: Powderpuff stock car racer, hung out with Left Frizzell, Hank Williams, & Sinatra, helped a friend bust jail once, shot a guy who tried raping her, travelled the world, raised hell and raised us (some same that's the same thing).

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Some people keep the ashes in their home to keep the people they loved close to them rather than having them be worm food in a cemetary miles away. I guess my big question is what happened to you that makes the fact that people do this bother you?

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 09:07 PM
link   
My Sister and I were talking with my Mom, and when she meets her demise we (my sister and I) both agreed to have a portion of her ashes finely ground and mixed with tattoo ink. We will go together and get a "Mom" tattoo of our own liking as to keep her alive within us during the rest of our lives. Same with our Dad.

and you thought people just keeping Mom & Dad on the mantle was weird, Ha!

None the less, the promise has been made and will be honored when the time comes.

top topics

join