It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has the BP Oil Spill Actually Changed Anyone’s Mind About Off-Shore Drilling?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 08:41 AM
link   
I know that a lot of American’s are pro-Off-Shore Drilling. Sure, research in alternate fuels is important, but obtaining immediate supplies of oil cheaply is most important.

There’s been talk for a long time about risks and dangers to the environment and putting off the inevitable because of limited oil resources. The BP “incident” (I just can’t bring myself to simply calling it a spill) has brought the voices of those against drilling to a new volume. But are more people listening? Or should they even be listening?

The damage to the gulf coast seems it could potentially be, quite literally, astounding. But there are safety measures, we have been assured, that will prevent this from happening elsewhere. Right? The arguments are valid.

But seriously, are there REALLY any people out there who were pro-drilling who now are having second thoughts because of the consequences of this incident? I’m really curious if this has caused people’s heads to turn the other way…? Anyone?

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by jupiter869

No, I still think that it is needed at this point in time(personally).
What I do think needs changed though is HOW we are drilling, and HOW we are ensuring that when we are drilling, that the safety guidlines are met.
If there are 7 safety switches that didnt stop this disaster, then they need to rethink the way they are extracting it, and ways to prevent this from happening again.

Maybe we should get Bruce Willis and his team down there.
Lets just hope they dont use nukes this time.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 09:00 AM
link   
We need to quit burning all fossle fuels.

Sometimes it takes a big environmental disaster to get peoples attention.
Thing is, we poison ourselves and the planet by ingesting and inhaling the toxins and the heavy metals resulting from combustion.
The damage is so slow, people ignore it, yet it is there, bigger than sh!t.

Then you have those who could care less and want to risk ruining the fragile ocean. Putting man in front of this ecosystem is just retarded. We are now able to get off coal and oil with our tech, but we don't cause there are still many people to screw. Look at the cost of the spill and then look at BP's profit. Someone is getting screwed.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Common Good

No, I still think that it is needed at this point in time(personally).
What I do think needs changed though is HOW we are drilling, and HOW we are ensuring that when we are drilling, that the safety guidlines are met.
If there are 7 safety switches that didnt stop this disaster, then they need to rethink the way they are extracting it, and ways to prevent this from happening again.

Maybe we should get Bruce Willis and his team down there.
Lets just hope they dont use nukes this time.

The thing is, some people might ask you, "Well, how DO we drill so it's absolutely safe for the environment?"

Are there any real assurances in this world?

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 10:19 AM
link   

I have never thought it was a good idea... I always knew that an Alaskan style oil spill was going to happen.... I don't believe this will be the last one.

It is time our government put a mandate to the Universities to research an efficient replacement to the internal combustion engine. The world needs it more than mankind...

to quote Jim Dandy, "It was mankind that lost its mind"!!!

To suggest drilling in the ocean seems possible someone in power has lost their mind. Have any ATS members seen a clean oil field?????

SnF OP for asking the question which has been haunting me since Off Shore drilling started.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 10:30 AM
link   
It hasn't changed my mind. I'm even more against it than I was before. So it's cemented my opinion. I hope it changes Obama's opinion, though... I can't believe he supports ANY off-shore drilling. Definitely an area of disagreement with me.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 10:31 AM
link   
I think it will change our lives first, and then our minds. This is a life-changing event whether you live on the gulf coast or not. I was always agin it, so no my mind hasn't been changed. The republicans in the area, however, will be singing a different tune than drill, baby drill in short order.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Greed is the major problem to by pass the safeties or sabotage for whatever reason. You have to understand when you take the oil out, you must fill the hole with something. As far the energy is concerned, we have it in abundance. It is the human that makes you think we have shortages. Helium 3 on moon is in abundance. 1 ounce of it can provide the power for the whole USA for 50 years as alternative fuel.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 01:55 PM
link   
I really can't believe ANYONE who is thoughtful would be FOR off shore oil drilling. I'm sorry, but youd have to be in some kind of denial to advocate it now.

Or else be associated with an oil company and greedy as hell.

top topics

join