It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to LEAVE THE GRID and survive "han SOLO"

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by rajaten
reply to post by KrypticCriminal

True the natives have been doing it for thousands of years, I reckon you could get the hang of it pretty easy.

Cheeky bugger lol

My point exactly, our skills are long bred out of us. It doesnt matter what modern equipment you take, its only going to last x amount of time and then your back to basics.

Whittle wood time.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by rajaten

Think Terlingua, Texas, very near the border of Texas and Mexico. It's about as close as you can get, at least in Texas, to living off the grid.

The people who live there have a reputation of being fiercely independent, somewhat reclusive, yet still helpful if you need it. If you want to be left alone, for days, weeks, months, etc. that's the place to go. There are pros and cons to any location and that little town has its share of both.

[edit on 17-5-2010 by manta78]

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Id hit Alaska. Once you hit the trail to the mountains, get lost and your off the grid. No paper trail, money, SSN, computers. Build a cabin and then live off the land. It dosent get any better than that. There was a movied about a man that did that called "Into the Wild", great documentary to watch.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by havok
The best thing todo in my opinion, is to find a small home in the country.

Just getting away from the city gives a person the "off the grid" feeling.
Then plan your own ways of getting off the grid by generating your own electricity, or fuel, finding your own food, etc.

In these days, living off the land is more futile than just camping for a few months.
The disease's that fester in standing water can kill a person quickly.

I would say it takes a small colony of smart people to do it successfully, by that time, the gov't probably has its eyes on you and you become "domestic terrorists".

Living off the grid requires more no-how than most people obtain in a lifetime these days.
All this because of how spoiled we are as humans now.
We don't produce anything ourselves...food, shelter, clothing.
In the days where there was NO grid, people knew these things extremely well.
In the past centuries, we have successfully given up these skills for one thing.
Convenience.

Unfortunately I think havok is right. "Modern" people are becoming more lazy and useless by the day.

I've always loved the thought of living out in the wilderness in a cabin somewhere and hunting/farming/gathering food. Unfortunately I think I'll have to leave this one to daydreams for myself...but I wish you the best of luck!

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by rajaten

Great subject! Let's pretend we did not have all those pesky facts others have mentioned about all land being owned, etc.

First off, I want to applaud you on your goal. Second, I think with some adjustment to the "Kro Mag Pure" ideal, you may have something. Civilization's goal has been nothing more than to remove us from the million and one naturally occurring killers we share the planet with. Our ancestors have been so successful we do not even realize what mean streets we actually inhabit.

I would try short jaunts at first to see if it works for you. Maybe just sleep outside one night in the backyard with out pillow and blanket. Try to make a fire from scratch and boil some stream water to drink. Go out to the woods and try to gather up enough food for one small meal.

It will be hard. You do not have the advantage of being taught best practices since birth on survival as out ancestors did. Maybe after some time of self study, learning from experts, and trial/error you will be ready for longer and longer excursions.

The only places left on Earth which provide enough space for what you are looking to do still exist for a reason. They are almost inhospitable. But I am with you friend. Good luck!

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by ABNARTY
reply to post by rajaten

Civilization's goal has been nothing more than to remove us from the million's of acres that our ancestors cultivated for generations and make it uninhabitable by anyone "uncivilized".

I fixed that for you.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 02:40 AM
link   
reply to post by ABNARTY

Thankyou very much for your kind words and encouragement

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 11:39 PM
link   
I would say that any of your weaknesses would be amplified greatly. Unless you were a walking encyclopedia of all things survival, and had the ability to shut off the emotions, it probably wouldnt go well.

As far as where to go, Id say the great Canadian wilderness, Sierra Nevadas, Rockies, or an island in the South Pacific. Any of those have distinct advantages and disadvantages.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by RicketyCricket

I guess it would become a journey of gradual understanding whereby your strengths emotionally increase until you can cope with the harsh nature of the lifestyle.

[edit on 24-5-2010 by rajaten]

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 05:50 AM
link   
reply to post by rajaten

Hi

I have actually done this back in 1995. Went through some nasty times and needed a break from the world. Fortunately I was on Vancouver Island in Canada where it doesnt get extreme in the winter. I went in on May 10th and was out until Late November. I positioned myself in a former logging camp that was about 1 mile from the coast. Being near the coast was great and on the Island there is plenty of food year round.

You must have a good shelter and not mind the rain and the rain and the rain. I loved it alot. If your interested I can tell you the location. I became a different person after that experience, far more love for the earth.

I had a survival handbook that was very handy.

Another point to make is that you must be comfortable with animals. On the Island there are plenty of bears and cougars. But I never had a problem.
Best to get at it early in the spring (Now).

Good luck and have fun!!

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Taupin Desciple
reply to post by KrypticCriminal

I second that. Learn from the Native Americans.

But even they traveled and lived in tribes.

Keep one thing in mind. You want to be alone when you do this, correct?

You can have every survival technique known to man down pat, but it's the human equation that might get to you. At this point in your life I'm sure you're used to human contact on a daily basis. Cutting that off isn't easy to do. I'm not saying you're not capable of doing it, I don't know you personally, I just thought I'd bring that aspect of it up.

As far as places in this country or continent where the population is extremely sparse, try Northern Alaska or Canada.

www.pilotguides.com...

I just returned from a vacation trip to Arizona, touring mostly the north central areas, grand canyon, and so forth. Most of this entire portion of the state is indian reservation. I saw quite a few reservations. You can have that life. it's mostly a bunch of run down shacks that are inhabited by poor indians who seem to have no source of income except selling silver jewelry and trinkets to tourists.

if you want to bug out and go live in peace with these natives, you better be a tough son of a gun. Hundreds of miles of nothing but deserts and mesas. Very beautifull, but tough to live on. I'll stick with surburbia.

All this talk by people saying they will bug out to the wilderness is comical. Unless they are survival experts, who have actually had to live in this environment, they will last as long as the crackers and cheese lasts. Trying to live this lifestyle is a lot like many things people try to do. it's sounds doable, untill you actually have to do it.

Peace

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Hey man, I like the way you think. I have had that dream for many years and have modified it to make it my life. You can live off the land but it is tough. Biggest problem I had was potable or drinkable water.

As mentioned, starting as soon in spring as possible with a definite plan is best. I suggest southerly latitudes for the warm climate, I used to think Montana was an option but -30* broke that idea.

You do need to develope your skills and knowledge. Learn intense large scale gardening, plant and animal ID, learn the seasons and frosts dates, how to read the weather, learn how to live like grand daddy...cut wood with an axe, how to make something from nothing, how to dry meat, dehydrate fruits and veggies, how to smoke and cure meats, can veggies, build a simple cabin, how to fish, and on it goes.

Did you know that there is a large, mobile community up in the Appalachians along the "Trail"? Old "dead heads" and hippies, vagrants, wanderers, folks looking and searching, people that just dropped out.

We already live way out in the country, but are considering buying some land and homesteading up in the SC mountains along the Chatooga River next to Ga. Remote, beautiful, rich land, many resources, and a totally different mindset community there... kinda 1969 lost in time....beautiful, man.

If thats what you want to do, do it, but know there will be long days...sun up to sun down, everything you do from spring on will be in preparation for the following winter, there will be NO conveniences, every task will be a chore, and one screw up can cost you your life.

However, the freedom, the beauty of being in God's creation, the peace, the solitude, the joy, and how satisfying to eat a meal thet you not only prepared but raised, captured, hunted, or harvested.

Consider this scenario... it is a cool, rainy evening. You sit sipping hardened apple cider you made from apples picked a few weeks ago, after eating a dinner of pan fried trout you caught, fresh greens, some fried apples, and fried potatoes, all picked from your homestead; and cooked on your wood stove with wood you cut last spring.
You listen to a battery radio and hear a local mountain station tell the weather...might be snow by morning. Better top off the wood box, and get in more water so it won't freeze. Might want to check on the animals too...make ready a couple of bales for the horse and the goats...just in case.
You wind up the clock, one of those monsterous ones with the bells on top...you set it for 2am, so as to stoke up the fire and see if it is snowing. If it is, you won't be going to town and try to sell apples and pumpkins, but you might try...Christmas is coming and you'd like to get something for your neighbor, the one that helped you last year when you really needed it.
Now it's time for bed, you clo9se the damper on the stove, blow out the oil lamp, and check the rifle beside your bed...yup, safety is on.
Good night.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by AlreadyGone

Thats the way we were meant to live maybe. Alongside nature.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by IgnoranceIsntBlisss

You can proclaim yourself stateless all you wish, but it is not legally possible to renounce your citizenship while you are in the US. If you go abroad and renounce, you have to reenter, which you can't do if you have no passport, and if you do have one from somewhere, you would have to get a visa and lie about why you wanted in because they are not going to let a non citizen in who says he wants to go live with the Sioux. And then you would be an illegal alien. And the US government doesn't recognize Indians who have less than 1/4 Indian ancestry. I know. Lots of my people are breeds. Including me. My half sisters being 5/16ths Indian count. Me being only 1/16 doesn't. Doesn't matter that the man I call daddy is a halfbreed cherokee with status. If the Sioux want to adopt you, good for them, but you won't get a US residence permit because of it.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join