It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to LEAVE THE GRID and survive "han SOLO"

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 07:55 AM
link   
For a few years now I have thought about leaving my job and living off the land, walking the earth as a nomad/hunter to see if it is possible. To survive in nature as we once did thousands of years ago.

Ive read a few threads on leaving society and joining a commune etc to live sustainably, but to me this is just going from a larger colony to a smaller one, still with all its associated flaws that naturally occur in any community or group.

Does anyone have any ideas or links as to go about this sensibly and legally?

imgur.com...

Mod Note: New Policy Regarding Images On ATS – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 16-5-2010 by rajaten]

[edit on Wed May 19 2010 by Jbird]

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 08:14 AM
link   
I think sex-criminals are doing that in national parks in Georgia(probably elsewhere too).

Sex Offenders gone to the Wild

That's a link to the 09 story. Although it's fiction, Atlas Shrugged shows that just going to a smaller community could be better, depending on the individuals that compose the group.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Ive thought about doing this myself. Even planned it all. Where to go is the hardest question to answer. Theres not many places left where you can live a nomadic life without coming in to contact and in some cases conflict with someone or other.

Anyway it turned out i was depressed at the time and going a bit loopy. Once i sorted that out. Getting lost in the outbacks of nowhere did'nt seem as appealing.

I think it would be a great way of life. I think it would be hard to do without a wealth of experience in outdoor skills. Unless you want to carry manuals on everything with you.

If you want a place to start looking though look in to native Americans survival techniques. They had it down to an art.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by KrypticCriminal

I second that. Learn from the Native Americans.

But even they traveled and lived in tribes.

Keep one thing in mind. You want to be alone when you do this, correct?

You can have every survival technique known to man down pat, but it's the human equation that might get to you. At this point in your life I'm sure you're used to human contact on a daily basis. Cutting that off isn't easy to do. I'm not saying you're not capable of doing it, I don't know you personally, I just thought I'd bring that aspect of it up.

As far as places in this country or continent where the population is extremely sparse, try Northern Alaska or Canada.

www.pilotguides.com...

Peace

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Not trying to bash the OP but there is a reason our ancestors decided to stop hunting and gathering. It works for very small groups who have lots of land, every one else, not so much. That and a sprain can kill you. Read the book Into the Wild, that is a pretty good view of what will happen, and even he needed to get jobs and stuff to survive.

EDIT: for spelling

[edit on 16-5-2010 by Obinhi]

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by rajaten

you can actually use wind or solar panel and self sustain without the grid, the remainder of power you don't use you can source to the grid and get paid for it

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 11:02 AM
link   
You may benefit from just living on Lacota lands. They disolved the treaties with USA and welcome people on their lands to be a citizen.

lakota

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by awakentired

Where did you get the information that anyone would be welcome to move to Lakota lands?

Per the OP; you need to attend a good survival school like the Tracker school in NJ or B.O.S.S out in Colorado. It takes years to master the skills you would need to live in the wild as a hunter gatherer. You would have to know wild edible and medicianl plants, bowmaking, stone work, shelter building, hide tanning, finding potable water and that's just for starters.
Even people who grow up in Aboriginal societies have a difficult time surving on their own.
As someone metioned earlier we also find that we miss other people. I discovered that on a two-week solo camping expedition. After 10 days I got too lonely and came back.
There are wild lands out there where you can do this and there's a good reason people don't live there - there aren;t enough resources to live or they are exceedingly hard to come by.
What you seek would be the ultimate challenge and I wouldn't discourage you from trying it. Just know beforehand that it will be extremely hard and could cost you your life. But if you aren't really living now then at least you would have tried.
Learn the skills, find the place and give it a try. There is much to be learned from failure if it doesn't kill you. Nature is frightfully unforgiving.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   
The biggest problem you would run into, is that all land is owned, and if you are on it illegally you are trespassing. Thus, you cannot be a legal vagabond unless you want to be one of the homeless in a city. Maybe you should just buy some land and do it that way. thats pretty much your only option, legally anyways.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Your probably going to want to leave the United States. Sub saharan africa is probably your best choice, or the aussie outback. But most people are not willing to live in those places, they want someting like a national park. Pretty much people who want to "live off the grid" want the perks like security and being able to go back to civilization quickly if they want but they do not want to really do it.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals
Where did you get the information that anyone would be welcome to move to Lakota lands?

You have to denounce your US citizenship:
ignoranceisfutile.wordpress.com...

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by rajaten

I have thought about this many times. If I were to go "Han Solo"
and live off the grid it would be more like "Tom Sawyer".

Load up my canoe and head down river.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by IgnoranceIsntBlisss

no you don't have to renounce us citizenship. check their formus .. the question was asked and it is not needed.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Sensibly, you'd want to follow Les Stroud (survivorman) in the first instance and see that even going off grid a-la mainstream is hard - and he should know. But in the end it's worth it.

Google Video Link

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 07:30 AM
link   
reply to post by KrypticCriminal

True the natives have been doing it for thousands of years, I reckon you could get the hang of it pretty easy.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 07:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Taupin Desciple

So its legal to just wander around in the bush and kill animals to eat as long as its not someones fenced off property?

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 07:37 AM
link   
reply to post by awake_and_aware

That dubble dark DnB track on his youtube homepage nice tune.

[edit on 17-5-2010 by rajaten]

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 07:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

If I committed to it, I wouldnt just wander into the bush naked, I would purchase a solid recurve bow, outdoor clothes, tent and tools etc then begin.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 07:49 AM
link   
The best thing todo in my opinion, is to find a small home in the country.

Just getting away from the city gives a person the "off the grid" feeling.
Then plan your own ways of getting off the grid by generating your own electricity, or fuel, finding your own food, etc.

In these days, living off the land is more futile than just camping for a few months.
The disease's that fester in standing water can kill a person quickly.

I would say it takes a small colony of smart people to do it successfully, by that time, the gov't probably has its eyes on you and you become "domestic terrorists".

Living off the grid requires more no-how than most people obtain in a lifetime these days.
All this because of how spoiled we are as humans now.
We don't produce anything ourselves...food, shelter, clothing.
In the days where there was NO grid, people knew these things extremely well.
In the past centuries, we have successfully given up these skills for one thing.
Convenience.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Many people head off the the Sierra Nevadas and survive pretty well. They migrate south to southern california during winter and go north in the summer. Plenty of wild plants, yucca roots, cactus fruits pine nuts and lots of wild animals!! Water is scarce but lots of cattle wells in between. I love the Sierra Nevadas myself and have gone for weeks at a time with a hole new persepective of life. Sometimes people need to go into there cave to find themselves, but will eventuallly come back out to society. Good luck on your journey OP!!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join