It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Poison Ivy.....Grrrrrr

page: 1
1

log in

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 04:33 AM
link   
As I lay awake in bed due to the extreme itch from poison ivy, besides the fact that I'm po'd at myself for getting it YET again, my mind is wandering. So, at 5 am, here I sit at my pc waiting for some relief from the creme the dr. gave me.

I wondered how much of the population was immune to poison ivy? If you are one of those people, you should thank your lucky stars!



1. If a a team of medical researchers needed volunteers to research poison ivy and you could earn $ 200 for your participation (meaning you'd have to get poison ivy) and you were broke, would you do it for $200? How much money, if any at all, would it take?

2. I wondered if poison ivy was ever used as a torture technique? I can't imagine having a raging case of poison ivy, and having my hands bound not being able to scratch. I think I would go insane.

I scrubbed up with the Zanfel before I put on long sleeves, long pants, socks shoes and even gloves. I took all off immediately afterward and used the Zanfel again, and showered and scrubbed with 3 kinds of soap. Later that evening as I sat watching some tv, I started to feel the itch and thought OH NO! I put on the creme the Dr. gave me immediately and took a benadryl. Thought I nipped it in the bud.

NOT.

It's not a bad case. Only around my ankles, and oddly enough, it only itches the second I lay my head down to go to sleep.



I know I won't win this war against this crap in my yard, but it really makes me mad that it seems I'm getting more sensitive to poison ivy and it's a war I don't think I want to fight anymore.




posted on May, 16 2010 @ 04:51 AM
link   
if you haven't already, try some of this. Crush the stems and leaves in your hand and rub it on affected areas. Works for me. And the plant is usually found in the same area as poison ivy as it likes the same climate/soil conditions.
Not sure of the real name, but it's commonly called jewelweed, I believe due to the fact that if you place the leaves underwater, they take on a silvery shimmer.




posted on May, 16 2010 @ 07:42 AM
link   
I would call your doc and ask for a cortisone shot. Otherwise if its that bad its going to be a look week for you



posted on May, 16 2010 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by reticlevision
 
Sorry to hear about your suffering OP.
Good call on the jewel weed, or snapweed as I grew up calling it, reticlevision. Even here in Québéc, where I now live, the older folk tout it as cure for poison ivy, poison sumac, and poison oak just like they did in Kentucky.
I can't vouch for its effectiveness as a remedy as I'm one of the lucky few who seems immune to those nasty plants. I am not, unfortunately, immune to black flies. So I commiserate Virraszto, there's a lot of itching and scratching going on at my house too.



posted on May, 16 2010 @ 08:11 AM
link   
reply to post by virraszto
 


I was never allergic to it until about 10 years ago, I could rub it all over my face and not even get it. Then cleaning out a brushy area next to our home I got the worst case ever. The rash was oozing out and I could take a tissue to wipe it and in 10 seconds it was back. I went to the health food store and got a product that you dropped under your tongue like a nitro tablet, it dissolved and in 5 minutes NO oozing, No itching and was gone in a day. I forgot the name of the product and have avoided P.I. since. You might try to find it.



posted on May, 16 2010 @ 09:18 AM
link   
when i was very young till of 14 or 15 i got posion ive sumack oak a. nd lots of other stuff im a red head we are born with very sensitive skin.
But im alos living proff your body can adapt i couldent be kept indoors they couldnt stop me from going to the creek and woods from the first bloom of spring untiill the first snow of winter i was covered with the stuff.
but around 15 years old wile once again doing what i always loved to do i got into it worse case i ever had looked like a monster from space all red ozze over my whole body.
well after weeks and being pink calamine its healed .
after that day I never got any kind of posion again didnt burn turned a nice golden brown heck i can pick it smash it between my hands and rud it all over me and nada it just dont do nothing any more alergys goin.
im 44 now and i igge all that stuff incluing bees wasps hornets not even they have an effect on me sting they may hert for a second then nada.
I have wile working out side cut trees with paper wasp and been stung 30 times in 3 minits lol still 20 minits later nothing same thing with hornets .
I feal bad for you I know what it feals like even though at 44 the memory is so faded it seams like another person .
amazing just how far our bodys can adapt



posted on May, 16 2010 @ 09:23 AM
link   
I agree with Fred T. Call your doc. and ask for cortisone shot. Believe it or not poison Ivy can be deadly. Especially if around your face. Don't take chances with this.

Wishing you the best,

Pax



posted on May, 16 2010 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Ugh. Poison Ivy is my Kryptonite. Having it around your ankles isn't so bad, compared to in between your fingers or on your junk.

Luckily for me, here is Ontario, or at least in the Ottawa Valley, there is what I consider a miracle treatment. It's called Doctor Reid's Poison Ivy lotion, and the stuff works wonders. The pharmacies make it themselves. It contains Boric Acid which is like scratching without scratching, and also camphor, which follows up the initial burn with a cooling sensation. This stuff relieves the itch and dries out the blisters. That Doctor Reid is a saint!

I don't know about the legality of sending something like that over the border, but I'd recommend you contact the Village Pharmacy in Petawawa Ontario (www.brownbook.net...) and look into stocking up on this stuff. I swear by it.



posted on May, 16 2010 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by reticlevision
 


I can look at photos and recognize poison ivy, but I can't seem to id it when I'm stepping on it. A lot of the weeds out back are leaves of three, and they all look alike to me. With my luck, I'd yank up some poison ivy instead of jewelweed.
I looked at the jewelweed photos and I will go out back and see if I can find anything like it.



This rash is a mild one, but it still itches like crazy. I have a standing order for betamethasone creme that the dr. prescribed. If I ever get it bad enough, I'll go in for a cortisone shot.

Maybe I will order some of that from Canada. My hubby goes to Ontario alot for work, and he actually had poison ivy so bad while in Canada, he bought a lot of otc stuff while there. Maybe I'll get him to get me some of that lotion.



posted on May, 16 2010 @ 11:07 AM
link   
I used to get poison ivy BAD when I was young....but then I went into the Army and after I told them I get it BAD they gve me a shot, along with like 10 others, and ever since I haven't gotten it. NO IDEA what concoction Uncle Sam gave me, but it worked, and I am SOOOOO glad it did....poison ivy SUCKS.....

p.s. that pink calamine lotion grandma always made me use never worked...



posted on May, 16 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Wouldn't Poison Ivy neutralize stinging pain like bee and wasp stings? Cause I do hear that sometimes a poison can neutralize other types of poisons.



new topics

top topics



 
1

log in

join