It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shootout at the O.K. Corral? Mean streets of Chicago

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by searching4truth
124, huh, just wait until summer really comes in and the gang wars start, the number will surly go up. Last year, they had fully automatic out on the streets, a war zone is an accurate description.

Summer is right around the corner, and I fear what type of carnage is going to be unleashed when the gang members get restless. It only going to escalate, but they attribute the uptick in crime as a result of the unseasonably mild Spring. It seems there is no assistance being offered, other than using the National Guard? This summer is going to be hot one, no doubt about that. It is probably a good idea for people living in the troubled areas to remain in doors as much as possible.

I blame Daly, period. Yes, the police do need more people that is clear. I do not think that the national guard is the answer though. The same "solution" was attempted in Gary Indiana, oh about 15-20 years ago. Immediately, yes there was a decrease in violent crime, but as soon as the guards left it was back to the norm, within hours. What really did have a lasting effect was began a few years ago, and that was cleansing the city of corrupt officials.

I agree the National Guard ought to be the last alternative, and used for something far more serious than an undisciplined rabble offing each other in the streets. As you say, the criminals are not stupid and they will blend into the bush until the soldiers leave. As soon as they withdraw, back to business again. Running and gunning in the street, drive by shootings, intimidation, and fighting for real estate and other siege tactics practiced by these parasites. As for Daley, I think the buck stops with him. Money is not going where it is supposed plain and simple. It is probably finding its way to the pockets of the politicians through their many schemes. He just continues to slither away from the scandals and the indictments.

Moreover, when the heat is on, he sacrifices a few of his "buffers," as Chicago Tribune Columnist, John Kass, calls his fall guys.

But true power is reserved only for a few. Such people never become anxious when the calliope music starts cranking. They've got other people to run around the empty chairs. These folks are called buffers.

Like Orlando Jones.

Jones, 52, was the godson of the late South Side political boss John Stroger, working in Cook County government and later as a lobbyist. Stroger ran the Cook County Board for Mayor Richard Daley until suffering a stroke, when Stroger's son Todd was installed by the Daley machine.

Jones had been questioned by federal investigators in connection with state pension investment deals involving Republican and Democratic insiders, and shady hospital contracts in Las Vegas.

He shot himself on a Michigan beach in 2007. The gun was found next to the body.

articles.chicagotribune.com...

I wish Patrick Fitzgerald would get even tougher on the corruption, and go through Daley's and the Machine's dirty laundry with a fine-toothed comb, until the culture of corruption is dismembered. Similar to what Eliot Ness and his Untouchables did with Al Capone. He has made significant strides, but still only a drop in the ocean that is Chicago and Illinois corruption. Personally, I think word is coming down from the top in Washington and delivered to Attorney General, Eric Holder, to his subordinate, Patrick Fitzgerald, to lay-off of Daley. Obama did go campaign personally for Mayor Daley's Olympic aspirations, and that in of itself ought to raise red flags. For the life of me, I can't remember a sitting President ever doing it in the past? In agreement with you, and a big broom needs to be taken to the corruption.

The level of corruption within the city is not only disgusting, it's unsustainable. They have become too greedy, too corrupt and again they only way to fix it is to cleanse the city of these officials. Vote them out of office, assuming we can get a fair election that is.

I hope people vote them out of office in the next election. However, that is only singing to the choir, because it seems people have become desensitized to it. It has gone on for so long, and is so entrenched in the daily lives of Chicagoans. They have no idea what honest government is. Then many have to deal with the intimidation as well. Threats of losing a city job, or downright strong arming. It happens, and sometimes gangbangers are used to pressure voters by city officials and employees with gang ties. That is very serious. There are other tricks used as well. It is the only city I am aware of were the dead crawl out of their graves to vote.

Dead People walk and vote in Ford Heights

Five people arose from the dead and voted in the April 7 mayoral election, and the county clerk says he's "concerned."

Cook County Clerk David Orr said this week that some of the claims have been dismissed, such as the allegations that 10 people voted twice and that dead residents voted. But he said in five cases, voting registration paperwork for deceased residents had been completed and turned in.

Okay, so what does that mean to the election results?

"Somebody filled out applications," Orr said. "We're concerned."

illinoisreview.typepad.com...

Chicago is all screwed up, and the culture of corruption has got to be brought to a halt. There is blood flowing in the streets, and people having their shirts taxed off of them to pay for the system of corruption. It is very disgusting and the slime oozes all the way down to Springfield, and now I fear the Federal Government.

[edit on 18-5-2010 by Jakes51]

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Well, I could delve into all the different proof that would be needed but just going to point to things like everyone else has.

The government cannot and will not protect citizens.

The government can protect our rights.

The government cannot and will not legislate morals.

The government will be less moral than it's citizens.

I use to have a conversation with a subcontractor back in California. It use to go like this, John, you need to keep the same guy on the project. This giving me different guys all the time screw up the flow of things. I have to teach them the rules and procedures for these buildings and the next time I have to do the same thing again.

**** I will give you as many people as you need.

John, it is not the amount of people you throw at a problem, it is their ability to follow the procedure.

What I am getting at. Laws were initially set up for the protection of the citizen. The government was to protect the rights of the citizen. They were there when something goes wrong.

They remove the rights of the people to protect themselves. They attempt to legislate morals. They burden the people with overbearing taxation. They make people subservient to government and beholden to government. They attempt to enforce order at the end of a barrel of a gun.

First off, if the Law was still what it was meant to be, to not harm another or to infringe on another's rights, there would be less problems.

If the government did not steal our labor by income taxes, did not steal our property by property taxation, people would not have to work as hard as they have to, to survive. One would be able to work way less than we do now to earn a living.

The government makes it damn near impossible to earn a decent living so what does the government expect people to do? They will go to where the money is.

Chicago is THE highest sales taxed place in the US. Period. I did a thread awhile back. The one county has a sales tax rate of 12.1%. Where does all the money go you may ask? To the government. How is that working?

We need to empty the prisons and jails of people that have not harmed anyone, where there is no victim there is no crime. Then we need to hold violent offenders for longer periods and never let criminals like murderers or rapists and the like, forever. Or make these capital offenses. Period.

Prohibition has never worked. Period.

It is a money making scam for those in power. Chicago is exactly where Obama and his minions learned there trade. The Chicago way has been known, since the Al Capone days, as the most corrupt government ever.

This is your country in the microcosm. Are we to institute the Chicago way in the Macro?

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Well, there were 10 more reported on news last night, so that would make it 134, 3 were stabbings resulting in death, but murder nonetheless.

Anyone else find it horrible that Weis is now trying trying to wright off murders. This released yesterday explains how he created a new category for "inside homicides" were he states that since the murder happened indoors there is nothing the police could have done to stop it so it should not be counted in the city's murder stats.

Too bad when a murder does occur outside, less than two blocks from WHERE HE IS STANDING, he can't be bothered to deal with that either. www.suntimes.com...

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Jakes51

Jakes51, this just takes me back to what I've been saying since day 1.

You said "Where's the Beef?"

Reminds me of the Wendys commercials back in the 80's.

Where's the Beef

It also reminds me of a thread I began a while back.

Obamaland : Cotton Candy, Gumdrops, and Rainbow Dreams, This is the Land of Collusion

The American citizens want a President who speaks in real terms, not some idealistic nonsense.

Me?

I am a meat and potato man, I need both sustenance, as well as filling food.

And when I hear my President speak, I want to hear the truth, not marshmallow fluff.

I am someone who does not sugar-coat crap, because sugar-coated crap, is still crap.

If our economy is going to take 10 years to recover that's exactly what I want to hear, not some baloney noble words about hope and change.

If Chicago is under attack that's exactly what I want to hear.

Because, I see and hear through the political lies, if I have to interpret those lies to find the truth I am seeking, then the President is wasting my time.

Sorry, I understand the political double-speak, far too easily to know exactly what's going on, at all times, in Washington D.C., which is we're being lied to.

The lies flowing from Washington D.C. are almost non-stop 100% of the time.

This is in no way limited to Obama, Bush did it before him, Clinton before him, Bush Sr, etc.

And in no way is it limited to the Presidency, Congress, Senate, you name it.

Both parties do it, all the time too, not the people necessarily down at the street level, they are reciting, by rote, the false propaganda dictated to them.

To be someone who truly knows what is going on you must not pick a false side.

If you do not pick your side, as in your own causes, without following the bread and circuses, then that person is not only being mis-lead there.

They are mis-leading themselves through lying to themselves through denial.

Do I believe Chicago is in flames?

Do I believe Law Enforcement cannot handle the city?

Do I believe Martial Law will be declared soon through the National Guard?

Considering I am not on the ground there I cannot honestly answer that other than to say my network of information and sources tell me what I know.

Greece is not the only place rioting and burning.

[edit on 19-5-2010 by SpartanKingLeonidas]

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by SpartanKingLeonidas

Yeah, that commercial with the old folks is funny. Mr. President, "Where is the beef? All talk and no substance. Apparently, they think we are a bunch of children and they only need to tell us what we want to hear? For a politician, things have to appear on the up and up, with the skis are laden with rainbows, and a pot of gold for every American at the end of them.

Figuratively speaking in regards to our current political climate, and eventual paralysis, there may be a deluge outside, but the politician will tell you conditions are normal with the sun shining and birds chirping as the flood water rises until you drown in your own home, and they are seen leaving on a life raft to dry ground. If you may have forgot, this is the land of milk and honey, where the streets are paved in gold. At least that is the ideal sense being spread to the rest of the world and to ourselves by our benevolent politicians.

One thing they don't want is a state of emergency and mass confusion if the American people figure out they have been bamboozled and hoodwinked. That is one thing they can do without, or they may have their own Thailand, Kyrgyzstan, or Greece?

The farmer can't afford to have his cattle getting rattled, because he may find himself getting trampled as the end result. As the Romans used to say, "Bread and Circus," and perhaps, that 2,000-year-old adage is as relevant today as ever?

Here is another good quote about the affairs in Chicago and quite possibly the country as a whole? It comes from Spike Lee's film "Malcolm X," with Denzel Washington playing the controversial Civil Rights leader.

So, as I said earlier, "Mr. President where is the beef?" In other words, all talk and no substance. Moreover, what we have on our hands is a glass half full. He sure makes for one heck of a brand ambassador though. Thanks for the reply SKL!

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by endisnighe
Well, I could delve into all the different proof that would be needed but just going to point to things like everyone else has.

The government cannot and will not protect citizens.

The government can protect our rights.

The government cannot and will not legislate morals.

The government will be less moral than it's citizens.

I use to have a conversation with a subcontractor back in California. It use to go like this, John, you need to keep the same guy on the project. This giving me different guys all the time screw up the flow of things. I have to teach them the rules and procedures for these buildings and the next time I have to do the same thing again.

**** I will give you as many people as you need.

John, it is not the amount of people you throw at a problem, it is their ability to follow the procedure.

What I am getting at. Laws were initially set up for the protection of the citizen. The government was to protect the rights of the citizen. They were there when something goes wrong.

I used to think that as well. Sadly, it seems more and more corruption everywhere. It has reached epidemic levels, and surpasses the ability of the legal establishment to effectively dole out justice. Moreover, those of immense wealth and status have a far better day in court, than the average person. At least that is how I perceive things at the moment. The government is supposed to be good stewards of that fragile document of ours, "The Constitution." Unfortunately, it appears many of them have lost focus, and the politicians who are concerned with the very relevance and solvency of the document are paraded around the Capitol and in front of the American people as pariahs. Ron Paul anyone? In an ideal sense, the government is there to protect the rights of its citizens and be there when something goes wrong.

They remove the rights of the people to protect themselves. They attempt to legislate morals. They burden the people with overbearing taxation. They make people subservient to government and beholden to government. They attempt to enforce order at the end of a barrel of a gun.

It would seem rights are being removed to protect those in power. With bailouts of corporations, politicians blatantly shirking responsibilities, the Fed giving money to every Tom, Dick, and Harry in the financial establishment and abroad, and many other diabolical activities. It seems the slime of corruption has oozed its way into every facet of society.

Moreover, it is like a cancer that has metastasized and is slowly devouring the country from within. Similar to the paralysis that took place in Rome during the 4th Century. Perhaps, slavery is alive and well, but we can no longer see the chains of bondage as we once could in another time long ago. As for the taxes and soon to be excessive taxes, well I have no comment. It would appear something has got to pay for all the rampant deficit spending and the delusions of grandeur by government? As one American statesmen once said about the only certainty in a person's life.

"'In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death and taxes."

www.phrases.org.uk...

First off, if the Law was still what it was meant to be, to not harm another or to infringe on another's rights, there would be less problems.

If the government did not steal our labor by income taxes, did not steal our property by property taxation, people would not have to work as hard as they have to, to survive. One would be able to work way less than we do now to earn a living.

The moans, groans, and complaints above seem to have fallen on deaf ears. In the near future, one can expect a blitzkrieg of taxation to offset the great expense taken by government.The Federal debt level is expected to surpass GDP. If that is indeed true, and I think it may just be, then we are in for a world of hurt.

I fear a ruthlessness and vigor unseen by the taxman will take place across the land in a feeble attempt to shore-up things when it reaches critical mass, and before the imminent collapse takes place? The deficit is at horrible levels and unsustainable. More over, it appears to be unworkable, because the country appears to be in an economic decline. Troubling times ahead, no doubt about that.

The government makes it damn near impossible to earn a decent living so what does the government expect people to do? They will go to where the money is.

Chicago is THE highest sales taxed place in the US. Period. I did a thread awhile back. The one county has a sales tax rate of 12.1%. Where does all the money go you may ask? To the government. How is that working?

We need to empty the prisons and jails of people that have not harmed anyone, where there is no victim there is no crime. Then we need to hold violent offenders for longer periods and never let criminals like murderers or rapists and the like, forever. Or make these capital offenses. Period.

Prohibition has never worked. Period.

It is a money making scam for those in power. Chicago is exactly where Obama and his minions learned there trade. The Chicago way has been known, since the Al Capone days, as the most corrupt government ever.

This is your country in the microcosm. Are we to institute the Chicago way in the Macro?

The taxes in Chicago are phenomenal, and a clear sign of how corrupt the city and state truly are. They say corruption is the hidden tax. You have got to be kidding me, a 10% sales tax and the highest in the country, and for what? A city mired in corruption, a breakdown in public works and services, staggering unemployment, and blood flowing in the streets as result of a crime epidemic.

America's Most Miserable Cities - Forbes

The U.S. Attorney's Office for the Northern District of Illinois, which includes Chicago, has been very busy in recent years. They convicted 385 public officials of crimes over the past decade, a per capita rate that puts it in the bottom third of big U.S. metros.

The Northern District office boasts of recent successful prosecutions, including "a corrupt former governor of Illinois, Chicago officials who rigged city hiring, individuals who lied about their support of foreign terrorism, corporate executives who cheated public shareholders and traditional organized-crime bosses who were responsible for notorious murders."

Illinois' record of public corruption, particularly in the governor's office, is staggering. Five of the past nine governors have been charged with crimes, and three, as of now, have served time in prison. Whether former Gov. Blagojevich will do any jail time is still to be determined.

The misery in Chicago runs much deeper than just corruption, though. Unemployment is expected to surge to 9.2% in 2009, up from 6.6%. The Tribune Co. is mired in bankruptcy, while big local employers like Midway Games (nyse: MWY - news - people ), Motorola (nyse: MOT - news - people ) and the University of Chicago Medical Center have all announced big layoffs.

Residents have been showing their dissatisfaction with Chicago with their feet, perhaps fed up by the average low temperature of 17 degrees in January. There has been a net migration of people out of Chicago for seven straight years, a trend that is expected to continue . . .

Now, as a side note to last years rankings of miserable cities by Forbes, there is a twist that remains a mystery to me? Chicago actually fared better this year and are now at number 10 rather than 3.

Forbes: Chicago . . . at least it's not Cleveland

Since then, things have gotten worse. Chicago is living down its first-round Olympic rejection and the Cubs' embarrassing flame-out, and its favorite son is sinking in the polls and rarely comes back home. And it's harder to catch a bus.

But according to Forbes, things are better. Its new list ranks Chicago as only the 10th most miserable city in the United States.
"The Windy City flamed out in its bid to host the 2016 Summer Olympics despite a last-minute plea from President Obama," Forbes notes in its latest listing. "Bigger problems are the nation's highest sales tax rate (10.25%) and long commutes."

That is a mystery, because the corruption has continued without interruption, employment is still in the pits, and blood is flowing in the streets. As for incarceration levels of non-violent offenders, it is absolutely appalling! We have beaten out some totalitarian regimes with our imprisonment numbers.

The United States has, for instance, 2.3 million criminals behind bars . . .

China, which is four times more populous than the United States, is a distant second, with 1.6 million people in prison. (That number excludes hundreds of thousands of people held in administrative detention, most of them in China's extrajudicial system of re-education through labor, which often singles out political activists who have not committed crimes.)

www.nytimes.com...

Now, the US has beaten out the totalitarian regime of China? That is truly a sign of the times, and absolutely unacceptable given the US traditions of equality and liberty. The hypocrisy is inherently rife at the moment. As for Chicago on the Macro? Considering the recent crop occupying the White House, and that Cabal being rooted in Chicago and Illinois politics, perhaps, the "Chicago Way," has indeed gone Federal? These thugs got their hands and on the Federal funding spigot. Corruption on a grand scale?

[edit on 23-5-2010 by Jakes51]

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 07:31 PM
link   
It may that they don’t care much about crime anymore. The crime wave will pass, they assume, therefore just let it play out. Crime in the political landscape seems no longer to be an issue with the American people, I wonder why?

Could it be that since most crime is in the urban inner city, primarily black and brown folks, then why bother?

Could it be that the NWO scheme of using crime, drugs, and terrorism, to garner dictatorial powers in the executive branch is no longer needed? The crime [and war on drugs] aspect of that scheme has been fulfilled. They cant sqeeze anymore toothpaste out that tube.

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by inforeal

I believe the root of the problem lies with the politicians pocketing the money that was originally ear marked for the police department. Chicago's city leaders are cutting the money in the areas that make the loudest "bang" so that they can hold out their hands for even more $$$$. I do not want the National Guard put in place to handle domestic problems. Our soldiers have enough emotional baggage with the issues that are in front of them as it is; If the scum of Chicago will target the elite, then you bet funds will become available for the police department.

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by inforeal

Perhaps, the politicians are allowing for crime to reach epic levels, because it is one good diversionary tactic? I mean the media will be swamped with stories of gang on gang shooting, and civilians catching a stay, rather than going through the politician's dirty laundry. So, in that respect it is one way of taking the attention off of the misdeeds and corruption of the politicians and bureaucrats.

Just the sheer ineptness of the Daley Administration is suspect in my book, it is as though he is on an entirely different page than reality would have him. For instance, he is spearheading the unpopular gun ban as blood is flowing in the streets of his city. He is not only aiding and abetting the criminal element with their monopoly on violence, but also taking away a person's right to defend themselves. In addition, this is a time when police are outmatched and outgunned by the gangbangers, and drug dealers. Funding has a lot to do with it, and for a city with a tax rate as high as Chicago, it is ludicrous to believe they are without money for public safety. Things seem rather strange in the land of the voting dead, patronage, and Pay-to-Play politics?

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Well, there were 10 more reported on news last night, so that would make it 134, 3 were stabbings resulting in death, but murder nonetheless.

Well, it is only obvious the murder numbers are going to rise with the escalation of heat on summer days and evenings. As a matter fact, it is in the balmy 90's today. Crime usually soars when the heat index increases, and I have no idea why? Perhaps, more people out and about for longer periods than in the winter months as result of the warmer weather, and increases in irritability as result of insanely hot and humid conditions? One more recent murder would have been that off-duty Chicago Police Officer visiting his parents and being killed in an attempted robbery. Officer Thomas Wortham did two-tours in Iraq and was home from his second deployment as an Army Lieutenant in the Illinois National Guard.

Then, we have Mayor Daley talking crap and defending his gun ban. This particular remark got the Mayor in some trouble. Apparently, a local reporter suggested that his gun ban may not be working? Here is what King Richard had to say.

Mayor Daley Regrets Gun 'Up Your Butt' Remark, Reporter Fires Back (VIDEO)

. . . Chicago Reader reporter Mick Dumke raised the question: if the handgun ban is so valuable, why is the city is suffering from an epidemic of gun violence?

"It's been very effective," he said, grabbing the gun off the table in front of him. "If I put this up your -- your butt, you'll find out how effective it is. If we put a round up your..."

So, a legitimate question was raised, and rather than giving the reporter an honest answer, he resorts to threats and innuendo. His city is experience a severe police shortage, and crime epidemic. Furthermore, one of his own police officers was killed outside his family's as returned from a tour in Iraq. This guy must sweat slime? His belligerent and obnoxious attitude really needs to be addressed. That behavior is absolutely unacceptable by a mayor of major metropolitan area like the City of Chicago.

Anyone else find it horrible that Weis is now trying trying to wright off murders. This released yesterday explains how he created a new category for "inside homicides" were he states that since the murder happened indoors there is nothing the police could have done to stop it so it should not be counted in the city's murder stats.

Superintendent Jody Weis was a career bureaucrat in Federal Law Enforcement, and seems to have never experienced the grime of the streets as a patrolman would. He spent 22 years in the Federal Bureau of Investigation. So, he is handling this hopeless situation as any politician would, and that is spin and fudge the facts to lessen the blow to his reputation and the seriousness in of the matter at hand. For me personally, I have always believed homicide was homicide, whether it be indoor or outside. Therefore, it ought to be added to the city's murder statistics. On a side note, apparently Superintendent Weis is losing confidence given to him by his own officers.

On March 17, 2009, the Chicago lodge of the Fraternal Order of Police gave a vote of no-confidence in Weis.[3]

On April 6, 2010, the Chicago Sun-Times reported that the Independent Police Review Authority received a complaint charging Weis with "failure to take proper police action." The complainant, retired Chicago Police Sergeant John Northen, called Weis a "coward" who "cut and run" from a shooting incident where a man was killed, instead of responding to assist and support his officers. Weis was holding an outdoor press conference at an intersection in the crime-ridden Englewood District on a recent 26 hour period of violence in Chicago where 41 people were shot with four dead. Four blocks from the shooting incident, Weis abruptly left the media event and reportedly returned to headquarters after the shots rang out.[4]

en.wikipedia.org...

His is jovially known now as "JFled," by members of the police department for his Carl Lewis impersonation. Here is the video that started the controversy.

That retreat from a crime in progress is the poorest display of leadership I have ever seen. It is his duty to respond to an live shooting in his general vicinity. Although, I am unclear on police protocol in a scenario as the one evaded by the Superintendent? Under conventional wisdom, it would seem logical for him to at least survey the situation and offer any assistance necessary to the officers responding. Who really knows what his reasoning was for leaving a crime in progress? Thanks for the reply!

[edit on 23-5-2010 by Jakes51]

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Well Jake, I have to admit about 65% of the HuffPo people in the Daley articles were wondering what the hell is wrong with people.

Of course the other 35% thought the government was going to solve their problems.

It still just boils down to the fact that people will not take responsibility for their own lives and for their communities.

I lived for a short term in Chicago, I believe it was in the summer of 87, could of been 86, I do not recall which. I use to go everywhere in that town back then. Never remembered anyone complaining about the crime. It was for only 4 months so it may not be relevant.

I think the US has become a meatgrinder so to speak. Almost as if it was planned this way.

If I was really conspiratorial minded with a twist of paranoia, one could say this country has become the Elitist's plan on depopulation. That thread would be a good one I bet. The US, the meatgrinder in the depopulation plan.

I find it appalling the stats on the number of government officials in the Chicago area getting charged and prison sentences. That is one thing I could see as a possible cure. Government official riders on criminal sentencing. When government officials are convicted of crime they receive a mandatory doubling of the sentence with a minimum sentence that is triple the normal minimum.

No citizen or business (except maybe a large corporation) can cause as much strife or pain as an official can. This would include anyone of authority including LEO's.

I went to college in one of the worst crime infested cities in the US, E St Louis. And the crime back then pales in comparison to what we see now in most large cities today.

Just so much to consider in this day and age.

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 10:20 PM
link   
I think people want to take responsibility for their actions. They are willing to do what is needed to make their lives and communities better. However, the corruption is so ingrained and entrenched in Chicago politicians, and it would be reasonable to just bus in candidates from out of state to run for office. This culture of corruption is a generational thing. One father will teach his son how to take a little off the top, fudge the facts, how to take care of friends, schemes on how to fool the Feds, and so on and so forth. Daley was groomed by his old man. Then our very own President, Barack Obama, was no doubtingly groomed by his mentor former Illinois Senate President, Emil Jones, on the ins and outs of the "Chicago Way," and how to operate within the hierarchy known as "The Machine."

Jone's tenure was mired with allegations of corruption, such as, nepotism, patronage, and other seedy activities before leaving office.

Emil Jones

During his years in the Illinois General Assembly, Jones often kept up the traditions of old-school politicians. He has steered state money to a few favored institutions, including some that employ his relatives. Some of his relatives also have gotten state jobs and his wife’s government salary got a sizable boost after he became Senate president in 2003, when the Blagojevich administration created a special salary class. Jones faced scrutiny after it was reported that his wife received a $70,000 pay raise two months after she and Jones were married and four months after she started her position, when Governor Rod Blagojevich created a special salary class for her position. Jones also received attention in 2008 for postponing a vote on an automatic legislative pay raise of 7.5% which would go into effect if the Senate did not vote on the proposal (the House voted no).

Jones announced in August 2008 that he would retire in January 2009. Of who would replace him on the ballot, his spokesperson said, "His preference, yes, would be to see his son [Emil Jones, III] serve," which has prompted criticism and been described as "anointing one of his children to take over for him." While accepting the nomination, Emil's son, Emil Jones, III announced he would work diligently for the people of his district.

It is widely believed that Jones used his weight in the "Chicago Machine," and his high office, to pave the way for President Obama to reach the highest levels of Illinois politics by personally picking important legislation for the young State Senator to attach his name too, when it should have gone to a more seasoned and prominent legislator. By doing this he was able to add the necessary weight to his name and reputation to run for office as US Senator, and President.

In other words, some would say President Obama never paid his dues and rose up in the ranks of Illinois politics by the people he knew, and not his performance as a legislator. That alone is suspicious. I digress, however, the voter in Chicago seems to have become desensitized to the corruption around them, and has no idea what honest and legitimate governance is?

I think the shot fired over the bow for Daley and his monopoly on power, is the recent Supreme Court case of “McDonald v. The City of Chicago.” Otis McDonald, an elderly man of 76, a grandfather, and a pensioner is sick of the violence in his neighborhood, where he has lived for more than forty years. As a matter of fact, his neighborhood, Morgan Park, on Chicago's South Side is near Roseland, where a story that area caught national attention in 2009. It was about a video taken on a cellphone of gang bangers savagely beat 16-year-old honor student, Derrion Albert, to death. He was not in a gang and was on his way home, as he stumbled upon the gang brawl taking place in the street. To make things worse, McDonald's had his house broken into three times. Moreover, Mayor Daley is furious that someone would challenge his judgment and authority in regards to his draconian gun ban that has been in effect since 1982.

Some municipalities, most notably Chicago, require that all firearms be registered with the local police department.[79] Chicago does not allow the registration of handguns, which has the effect of outlawing their possession, unless they were grandfathered in by being registered before April 16, 1982.

en.wikipedia.org...-80

Under conventional wisdom, if a person was given the right to own a firearm in the City of Chicago, it would curtail crime, because a criminal would be unaware of what home has a weapon, and if conceal-carry is allowed; who has a weapon on their person? So, in other words the criminals will think twice before a robbery or home invasion. Mayor Daley's arguments are so outlandish, and almost laughable.

Here is Daley's response to the possibility of losing the gun ban, if the Supreme Court rules in favor of McDonald. Scroll to RT: 2:17 to seem some good old-fashioned thuggery.

Does this lead to everyone having a gun in our society? If they think that's the answer!? Then they're greatly mistaken. Why don't we do away with the court system, and go back to the Old West? You have a gun, I have a gun and we'll settle in the streets.

Sometimes I think the chain of events facing the American people, as well as the world is by design? Financial insolvency of governments and market economies, deficit spending, back breaking inflation, an imminent tax explosion, a never-ending war, threats of nuclear proliferation in rogue nations, mass unemployment, and rampant corruption among politicians are some telltale signs of an emergency. As for the concept of turning society against each other, and a "meat grinder," scenario, it seems the environment is rife for such a scenario? Could it be part of a global consolidation play, who really knows? Everything happening right now, and at the same time, seems rather odd? I will not go off on a tangent any further, because I am still a little skeptical about the phenomenon of a New World Order? Non-the-less, I am concerned at the apparent breakdown of society, honest government, and reality as we know it. I think we can all agree on that, because we are watching it before our very eyes.

The corruption problems of Chicago, and Illinois, are unacceptable! However, criminality in politics is so ingrained and entrenched in Chicago and Illinois. The Justice Department is going to need an army to dismantle it once and for all. With the current crop occupying the White House, I find it highly unlikely that any aggressive assault on corruption will take place. We have to remember where they call home. Not a very good thing for Obama's approval ratings, when every other week we hear about a prominent Chicago or Illinois politician, and many of his pals getting indicted on corruption charges.

As for penalties for corruption, I think the legal system could get a little harsher than they are. If they were, hopefully, it would provide the chilling effect needed to discourage potential offenders from going the route of being a crook. No one is immune from the temptation of easy cash, tweaking the system in their favor, using a position to hookup friends, and other ill advised decisions associated with corruption. It could be any person of authority, elevated social standing, or economic stature. It boils down to doing the right thing, regardless of what others around you think. As for East St. Louis, I have been through there before, and the city is a tough town. High crime rates, murders, gang violence, little to no police presence, corruption, crippling unemployment, and a local government in paralysis. Maybe this a glimpse of East St. Louis?

You have my respect for residing there and going to school. Thanks for the reply!

[edit on 24-5-2010 by Jakes51]

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jakes51
Well, it is only obvious the murder numbers are going to rise with the escalation of heat on summer days and evenings. As a matter fact, it is in the balmy 90's today. Crime usually soars when the heat index increases, and I have no idea why? Perhaps, more people out and about for longer periods than in the winter months as result of the warmer weather, and increases in irritability as result of insanely hot and humid conditions? One more recent murder would have been that off-duty Chicago Police Officer visiting his parents and being killed in an attempted robbery. Officer Thomas Wortham did two-tours in Iraq and was home from his second deployment as an Army Lieutenant in the Illinois National Guard.

Absolutely, the crime rate rises with the temp, yes I agree with with combo of increased irritability and increase in time spent outside. I saw what happened to Officer Wortham on the news, sad. Exactly, this man survived TWO tours in Iraq only to be killed in Chicago by the very people he was fighting for, it makes me ill. One of the men was killed by Worthams father, who is a retired police officer, retired cops are allowed to maintain their weapon. If this incident had occurred in the majority of other families that live in the city, all the men would have gotten away (at least temporarily) and his father could have been killed as well, since he would not have been legally allowed to possess a firearm.

Then, we have Mayor Daley talking crap and defending his gun ban. This particular remark got the Mayor in some trouble. Apparently, a local reporter suggested that his gun ban may not be working? Here is what King Richard had to say.

Yeah, I couldn't believe it, well actually I could, but it was still a little shocking. Not to mention, he actually did not illustrate his own point but rather that of journalist. Yes a round up the bum will he very effective, however if he used that gun he would be violating his own gun ban and providing an example of the ineffectiveness of the ban.

Superintendent Jody Weis was a career bureaucrat in Federal Law Enforcement, and seems to have never experienced the grime of the streets as a patrolman would. He spent 22 years in the Federal Bureau of Investigation. So, he is handling this hopeless situation as any politician would, and that is spin and fudge the facts to lessen the blow to his reputation and the seriousness in of the matter at hand. For me personally, I have always believed homicide was homicide, whether it be indoor or outside. Therefore, it ought to be added to the city's murder statistics. On a side note, apparently Superintendent Weis is losing confidence given to him by his own officers.

Weis is a d-bag, and he never had the confidence of the officers. It is that simple, perhaps they simply honored the office at first, but time and time again he has demonstrated himself unworthy of any sort of respect. Yeah, I linked that story in my post. A cop never leave the station without his/her gun, ever end of story. Most cops, in Chicago, even carry it while off duty, so for Weis to say that he could not go directly to the area where the shots were fired is complete b.s. and only shows what a pansy he actually is, as I said, d-bag.

Absolutely, it is a lame attempt to fudge the numbers. Wouldn't his new categories eliminate most armed robberies that result in a death or injury? Aren't cash registers normally housed inside of some building structure?

It is total b.s., a murder is murder and every murder that occurs as a result of a firearm further disproves the effectiveness of the gun ban, not that it isn't a total joke already.

That retreat from a crime in progress is the poorest display of leadership I have ever seen. It is his duty to respond to an live shooting in his general vicinity. Although, I am unclear on police protocol in a scenario as the one evaded by the Superintendent? Under conventional wisdom, it would seem logical for him to at least survey the situation and offer any assistance necessary to the officers responding. Who really knows what his reasoning was for leaving a crime in progress? Thanks for the reply!

Protocol is that you get your ass to scene of crime, Superintendent Douchelord, got into his car went back to the station, he says to get his gear and his gun, and then return to the scene. I wonder if someone died in the ten minutes or so he took to return when even a light jog would have had him arrive on the scene in less than a minute, not to mention he might have actually seen the shooter.

No problem.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Jakes51

Of course, Jakes51, because the President is required to have a modicum of dignity.

This is so no one panics, no one begins rioting, and no one begins hiking prices.

Which does nothing to those who know what's going on except tick them off.

Then there are those caught in the middle, those too blind, because of desensitizing propaganda, trusting in those in Government to "save them".

Little do they realize, the politicians will be jumping out, like rats deserting a sinking ship, since they have all sorts of plans in place, to screw the populace.

Chicago is no different than any other Government of any other state.

The difference is in the timing, the budget, and when the proverbial crap hits the rotating oscillator, and spreads outwards exponentially on everyone else.

But the contigency plans are basically all the same, screw the populace.

[edit on 26-5-2010 by SpartanKingLeonidas]

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join