It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Auto-tune in the music industry;

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 01:40 AM
link   

www.pbs.org...

Harold Hildebrand, or "Dr. Andy" as he is widely known, founded Antares Audio Technologies in 1990.
Antares develops high-tech digital signal processing (DSP) products for the music industry.
Its first product was the Infinity software. Allowing string ensembles and other complex sounds to be used in synthesizers, the program cleared the final technological hurdle that enabled symphonic film scores and CDs you hear today to be created entirely by synthesizers.
Dr. Andy's most significant development at Antares is Auto-Tune, which puts a singer's pitch in tune, in real-time, without artifacts.
Virtually all music studios today use Auto-Tune to fix singers' intonation (a practice whose virtues music-industry pundits vigorously debate).
Dr. Andy also designs and manufactures hardware versions of Auto-Tune, and he is working on DSP products specifically for singers.
Before founding Antares, Dr. Andy worked in the geophysical industry and was a cofounder of Landmark Graphics, where he designed and implemented software applications for 2-D and 3-D interactive seismic-interpretation products.
Dr. Andy received his Ph.D. in electrical engineering from the University of Illinois in 1976, specializing in random processes and estimation theory.
He and his wife, Georganna, live in a redwood forest near Felton, California, where they have two dogs, two cats, and uncountable raccoons.
Dr. Andy's hobby is fine woodworking, from felling and milling native trees to building furniture and making art.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 02:19 AM
link   
I am sick of hearing auto tune every time I turn on the radio these days. It's overdone and really obvious.

The funniest part is when you see a person perform live and they suck ass because they don't have auto tune unlike their albums.

But hell, even these days, I think they have live auto tune. BOOOO!

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 02:32 AM
link   
Don't they also have to compress the sound a lot to get the auto tune? Heavily compressed music seems to have no air and there's just no comparison to someone who can sing or play with lots of tone and air and space.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 02:44 AM
link   
reply to post by baddmove

Not sure what the point of the post is, but yeah, I record and produce music and know all about Anteres auto tune racks and plug-in's. The affect you often hear on the radios popular RnB songs are not pitch correction, but a shifting/harmony effect. When you compress something you are making it sonically "even" and squashing unwanted dynamics and some volume spikes. Unless you are being creative, it is preferred to have "transparent compression" that is light and doesn't kill the instruments character.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 03:04 AM
link   
Auto tune is extremely common these days, even on home recording software its standard.

It really depends what the listener/buyer is looking for.

I mean, me personally, I would not go near an artist who can not sing /perform well live as well as on CD.

I've liked bands, then been really turned off them when hearing them sing way out of tune live.

Some people are happy just to listen to MTV and be taken for a ride with mainstream rubbish. the industry has changed heaps.

I suggest watching 'later with jools holland'. Its all live and it's been one of my favorite shows for many years!

g

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 03:07 AM
link   
I also agree with a previous poster that there is an over zealous use of compression these days. Opening any track in a wave editor confirms this.

IRM

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 03:14 AM
link   
It’s nice to read who invented it and what he does in his sparetime but actually hearing what is done with it can clarify and bring out the “oh yeah” moment.

btw: I think it sucks to hell and back.

I like my “oh yeah” moments sound more like this:

Now that’s an I-phone put to good use.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 03:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by D.Wolf
It’s nice to read who invented it and what he does in his sparetime

I would also like to give the man who invented it huge props.
He sounds like a cool guy. Pet raccoons? sweet.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 03:31 AM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

Yep, called volume wars. Everybody wants there record to be louder then everyone else which robs all the dynamics and life out of a song. People wonder why pop music is so bland these days. That is one of many reasons. Auto-tune is another.

The thing about auto-tune is that it used to be an industry secret, if you have recorded a album for wide release at a large studio in the last 20 years some sort of pitch correction was probably used on vocals and sometimes even instruments. Now it has become an overused novelty that is already over with. We have that Cher song to thank for that.

My approach is not to use it, I like mistakes in music it makes it more real and approachable. You may be a mediocre Singer but at least its what you sound like. Besides some of the coolest music is by people who aren't the best singers.

[edit on 16-5-2010 by drock905]

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 03:57 AM
link   
Is this why music began to suck in the '90s?

lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 03:57 AM
link   
Is this why music began to suck in the '90s?

lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 03:59 AM
link   
NWO connection? hmmmm

Auto-Tune was initially created by Andy Hildebrand, an engineer working for Exxon. Hildebrand developed methods for interpreting seismic data, and subsequently realized that the technology could be used to detect, analyze, and modify pitch.[3]

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 04:13 AM
link   
reply to post by drock905

If you got so far that you get to record an album and you're only a mediocre singer, you must be doing something right. Just listen to Dragonforce, I think they changed singer, but through the fire and flames live is what I mean.

If I would record an album as a metalband (some dreaming allowed), I would rather do it over and over again until (guitar-wise, but also song-wise for our singer) I get it right than to use something like this that needs no talent at all!

I always wondered how all those popartists could sound the same in every chorus and other repeted part in their songs, always sounds so on spot that I was more for "they cut-and-pasted that part", which makes it so more less needed to sing right...

Also, they do a "live recording" in advance for their tours. Found one with britney spears, they have recorded her trying to sing along with the recording (you can't hear this in the speakers) and this is what you get:
[imb]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7z06NISh-NY[/imb]

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 04:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Donnie Darko

At least try to bring up more than a freaking company name to drag that nwo crap into every single discussion. For crying out load the only killing the new world order has done so far is innocent treats on ATS.

It's even worse than auto-tune.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 04:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by drock905
reply to post by InfaRedMan

You may be a mediocre Singer but at least its what you sound like. Besides some of the coolest music is by people who aren't the best singers.

I couldn't agree more! There's something to be said for character and emotive performance... Sometimes singing off key here and there - or having your voice break on a note sounds more human and relays a sense of fragility.

Especially if the song is melancholy.

The Flaming Lips & Mercury Rev are great examples.

IRM

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 05:08 AM
link   
What a lot of people don't know is that tuning of recorded vocals has been going on since the early 80's. They would record the offending segments of audio into the Fairlight CMI and use it to adjust the pitch as needed. This practice continued with the subsequent generations of samplers.

Incidentally, the Auto Tune robot-voice shouldn't be confused with the vocoder sound. They're two completely different effects. The latter is still cool, the former was never cool to start with.

Auto Tune:

LAME

Vocoder:

AWESOME

TheAssoc.

[edit on 16-5-2010 by TheAssociate]

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Best use of a vocoder & filtering I've ever heard. ever.

Imogen Heap - Hide & Seek

-B.M

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by B.Morrison

That "song" is terrible! Oo

On the other hand it might be me becoming to old of a geezer to be able to appreciate the art in it. Just like a teacher hated the slightly distorted electric guitars way back in the previous century, when songs like the one below were like way new and cool (hip and groovy).

Yeah, that's one of the founding fathers of this rocky planet in his younger years.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 08:52 AM
link   
I have to go with the no auto tune crowd here. AC/DC didn't do take after take recording, and I think they did just fine, and they sound like AC/DC in concert. Alot of the music I listen to is older "Blues", no auto tune there, just a couple of people with their real voices and instruments....as it should be. If you notice there are still some bands around from the 60's and 70's making good music........wonder how many of the new bands will have that kind of staying power?

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by B.Morrison

Agreed, I'm a fan of the song myself.

The video below went pretty viral recently so you may have already seen it. This 12 year old kid has had 3 years of Piano lessons and not one Vocal lesson in his life. He also wrote and composed two of his own songs. He has just been signed by Interscope records. No Auto-tuning will be necessary, for now. Here's an article on it: Greyson Chance sings Lady GaGa Song Gets Record Deal!

Here's the video that went viral that got him all the attention:

...and here are the videos of the two songs he wrote and composed.

Kid's got talent!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join