It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Undocumented student's arrest called part of 'civil rights disaster'

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 07:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

Thank you Very much Unity_99,

I'm so happy to see that there are people out there like you.

Thank you.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 10:32 AM
link   
What I continue to see in the illegal immigration threads, are people who do not believe in personal responsibility. Pro illegals will say it is the fault of government and corporations and that is true. However, thy leave the illegal immigrants blameless. That is not right. Stealing someone's social security number is so wrong. Presenting false documentations is wrong. Knowingly replacing a citizen in the job market is wrong. Taking what is rightfully someone elses is wrong. These people are not blameless.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Mexicans have made an art of playing the race card in this issue, ie anyone who is for securing the border and deporting the illegals who drain our resources is a "racist". This is a simple tactic to cloud the real issue. They are so fond of crying that "you just hate Latinos!" or some such nonsense.

Put aside your knowledge of geography for a moment and imagine that we shared a border with China. Hordes of Chinese run in here everyday and start taking jobs and resources away from us, hanging Chinese flags everywhere, demanding that we speak Mandarin, etc. and we get angry and demand the border be secured. Is it because we hate asians? No, it is a natural response to invasion.

If you still can't grasp it, pretend that the border is with Latvia. Same problems as above, only in this case the illegals are white. Are we anti-white then for defending our borders?

If people have a grudge against Mexicans, it is because a foreign people come here illegally in swarms, many of them REFUSING TO ASSIMILATE IN THE SLIGHTEST WAY. It is not "evil whitey" out to get the Mexicans, and I am sick of the disingenous arguments. BTW, aren't the Mexicans the ones with the group called "The Race" (La Raza)?

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by space cadet

You made an assumption here, and an insulting one at that. I am not trying to insult the subject of this thread's intelligence, I am distraught with the method she took to arrive at this point. Illegally.

Hell i'm just as distraught as you are. Your the one assuming she had a yellow brick road laid out before her when nothing of the sort is mentioned in that very article. I wonder if you realize that illegal students pay out of state tuition fees...

Your complaints reminds me of a segment on 60 minutes when a Mexican descendant girl got accepted into a college while a white girl whose grades were a little better got denied..and she told her sob story on TV, complaining it's not fair. I wonder if 60 minutes bothered to show the white girl or boy that bumped said girl off the list..no they would rather do what your doing and blame someone else.

Look, she couldn't have gotten her green card or legal residence whatever it is..because soon as she came forward to tell the law that she's been here illegally for 10 years, she would have been deported. If your going to hold the crimes of the parent against the child then ALOT of folks in this country have some soul searching to do.

You want to blame someone, blame this damn system. Yea, all of our problems are being exacerbated by illegal immigrants...not the politicians in the pocket of corporate America, not the government snatching away constitutional freedoms, not corporations getting laws passed to specifically benefit them, and not our own president lying to our face..no the biggest threat is from De'Jesus because he wants to go to college

Oh yea FYI: My brother was in a fatal car drunk driving accident. He survived but the drunk driver with NO insurance was killed...and he was a white guy. So let's not make it sound like illegals are the only ones on the road without insurance

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   

I do have a problem with multiculturalism, I think former president Teddy Roosevelt said it best " In the first place we should insist that the immigrant who comes here in good faith,becomes an American and assimilates him or herself to us, they shall be treated on an EXACT equality with anyone else,for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such person because of creed or birthplace, race or origin. But this is predicated upon this person becoming in every aspect in every way and in every thing an AMERICAN, and nothing but an AMERICAN.... There can be no divided allegiance here. Any person who says they are an american - (but) something else also isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag , the AMERICAN flag... we have room for but one language here and that is the english language and we have room for but ONE national loyalty,it must be entire and complete, and that is to AMERICA and it's people." [Teddy Roosrvelt, 1907.] As to what to do with the ( ILLEGAL) ones that are here, it's simple. They are easy to find, most of them cant speak or read english, we round all of those ones up and NOT send them back. We reinstitute the old chaingangs (they say they came here to work lets put them to work) there are plenty of public woks that need attention. That would be their life,no money or other rewards, just work (chained to other criminals) sleep and eat. Make being here illegally so much less appealing than being from there home that they choose not to come here illegally.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by DogsDogsDogs

Where in the article did it say she fraudulently obtained grants?

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 12:00 PM
link   

I know, I've been in all the situations you have mentioned, couldn't get grants cause my parents made too much, they refused to believe I could handle college apparently though everytime I have attended(three, once in 2001, once in 2008 and currently online) I scored high A's and B's, but while going in 2001 got caught driving without insurance as I was barely keeping study income as I was attending college full time on grants years after graduating from High school when my parents could not claim me anymore, and I got jailed for twenty eight days, if they could have found a reason to deport me, they probably would have.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Izarith

If you are not an American citizen you dont have place in this discussion. What you say is meaningless while what we say and do on the otherhand does matter, what we do counts. Nothing you say or do can change that so shut up and just be gratefull for the privilige of having had your collective national ass kicked by americans in at least two different conflicts.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented student"is like calling a drug dealer an Unlicensed Pharmacist?

When she turned 18 she should have made right on her immigration status. What blows me away is how long she stayed in the country illegally.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by staple
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented student"is like calling a drug dealer an Unlicensed Pharmacist?

When she turned 18 she should have made right on her immigration status. What blows me away is how long she stayed in the country illegally.

That is part of the reason these threads go south pretty quick. You assume she could have made her immigration status right at age eighteen. The law may not have given her the chance to do so and even if it did she may have been ignorant to the fact.

I'm not saying this should leave her off the hook but at least it should help you understand why she did what she did.

She was ordered deported after finishing her studies. How is this not being held acoountable for her accions?

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by space cadet

So this girl has been in the US illegally since she was 11, she is now 21, was stopped for a traffic violation ( which btw has not been revealed what that was originally) and it was discovered she is an illegal alien, no license, no insurance, and she had been stopped just last week in Alabama and was taken to a deportation facilty, but was released.

So in the 10 years she has been here she has taken advantage of the system to get into college, most likely as a minority she quickly sailed in and used every available financial assistance there is, she is about to graduate that college with honors.
Smart enough to beat the system and get into college, make great grades, but not smart enough to become legal, not smart enough to drive legally, at what point would she become legal? How many students get turned down for a rightful spot in college because it is filled by an illegal alien?
I am sure she is not the only one.

I am all for education, but it fails to impress me that she was driving with no license, no insurance but yet eligible to recieve grants see her way through college, something my wonderful, american neice cannot do. She is legal, she was an honor student, but when applying for assistance she was not eligible for enough grant money to see her way through. And I am talking about the same damn college. KSU.

Now supporters think she should not be deported because she was 'only trying to get an education'. How freakin smart do you have to be to know you are ILLEGAL and need to fix that before you go taking advantage of programs you are not elligible for? How smart was she to continually drive with no insurance? At what point does an illegal make him/her self legal? How?

This is maddening. I think of my niece, actually 3 of them, who applied themselves and could have benifitted greatly by being in college, no wonder that there aren't enough grant funds for them.

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Hmm I blame it on the school for not checking her status. If she actually got any financial aid they are supposed to check. Tards, if that makes you mad should see how many immigrants are on social security and aren't even citizens yet.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by space cadet

So this girl has been in the US illegally since she was 11, she is now 21,

So in the 10 years she has been here she has taken advantage of the system

1. You're going to hold her childhood and teen years against her? Really?

From age 11 to 18, she was under the care of her parents. What do you want her to do, call the INS and turn in her family like a good little informer?

Or was she supposed to leave for Mexico the day she turned 18?

Or should she have applied for citizenship? Oh, that's right, she couldn't. And if she tried to, she and her family would have been deported.

She was raised here for nearly half her life through no fault of her own. Her life was here, and she was trying to make the best of it. And she was succeeding.

I know to some people (not you) it's maddening to see an illegal immigrant (again, brought here as a child) that ruins the stereotypes of people living on welfare and not contributing anything to society. And that's why quite a few people are attacking her.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Reality Hurtz
Mexicans have made an art of playing the race card in this issue, ie anyone who is for securing the border and deporting the illegals who drain our resources is a "racist". This is a simple tactic to cloud the real issue. They are so fond of crying that "you just hate Latinos!" or some such nonsense.

Put aside your knowledge of geography for a moment and imagine that we shared a border with China. Hordes of Chinese run in here everyday and start taking jobs and resources away from us, hanging Chinese flags everywhere, demanding that we speak Mandarin, etc. and we get angry and demand the border be secured. Is it because we hate asians? No, it is a natural response to invasion.

There's your problem. You assume that the people hanging the flags and speaking the language are here illegally. THAT is why people would call you a hater or a racist.

You do know that 6 states (Texas, California, Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico, Utah and about half of Colorado) were originally part of Mexico, right? And that the Mexican nationals who lived there didn't pack up and leave after annexation?

Add to that the fact that legal immigrants may still have ethnic and national pride, and it seems like you're arguing against the entire group rather than the people who are here illegally.

Do you have the same problem with other nationalities in America flying their flags?

Or, for that matter, the "Confederate flag," the flag of traitors, being flown and displayed proudly on people's vehicles?

[edit on 5/17/10 by mothershipzeta]

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99
reply to post by Izarith

I agree 100% with what you wrote. This thread is shocking and so judgmental of a young woman, and not a single one of them even knows what the situtations. They want a free nation, but its a mad max, corporate heartless rule of laws, and judgments on everyone. In fact, seems to be resenting someone else's ability because it didn't happen to their niece.

Its sickening.

Don't forget the fears of a national ID card, and the Fourth Amendment...but no problem with police arresting people "suspected" of being here illegally, even if they are citizens who simply aren't carrying any ID because they're not driving. Of course, the AMENDED law says the cop has to stop you for some other reason...and of course there's NO WAY that would be abused like the old "failure to signal lane change" that's so useful for stopping minorities in suspiciously nice cars.

If the Supreme Court allows the AZ law to stand, I hope ATSers enjoy the police state that will shortly follow that precedent.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by expat2368
So this woman enters the U.S. illegally, takes full advantage of the "system" and funds that were intended for legal residents and citizens, lies when questioned by a law enforcement officer, and this is a civil rights disaster?

Take every asset she has gained while illegally here and ship her butt back from whence she came.

The disaster is that the federal government has done a more than miserable job of enforcing our immigration laws.

[edit on 16-5-2010 by expat2368]

Yeah those 11 year olds will take your for everything you got is youse done turn yer backs on 'em. How dare she she not go through the proper process of applying through the regular system.. She should have stood up and said "Mom and Dad, I'm not violating the intergrity of the US border.. you go and I'll stay here and apply when I'm 18."

For god's sake she was a kid when she entered and grew up in the US. A little common sense here with the "strip her of her assets and ship her back" There had got to be a win-win option that rational and reasonable people can find.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by InvisibleAlbatross

Ah thats ok my friend, I do understand where you are coming from with this scenario. I too know personally people who are here illegally, but they are going to school, doing good, etc, and I would hate for them to get deported or something.

But like I said, we do have to one day suck it up and turn a cold shoulder because I'll bet there are a million + similar sob stories of people here illegally trying to make a living. But there needs to be a line drawn and the laws enforced. Its a tricky and tough subject and it has to be approached objectively, logically, and most of all with a cold hard resolve. yes we can be bleeding hearts and have emotions assist us in approaching a case, and that is good that we have people like this among us, however there also comes a time when we need hardened hearts that will not be swayed by emotions, but cold hard facts, in order to preserve our laws, soveregnty and safety. We cannot be the peace of free love hippy parents that let their children do anything they want, without discipline, all the time. Sometimes we need to be the strict, stern parents that wrangle in the kids and set them on the correct course to be productive members of society.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 04:47 PM
link   
It is called identity theft. Illegal immigrants take the identity of a legal American Citizen. It then gets to be that you the legal citizens get to be treated as the aliens because the aliens are mascarading as you. Thus the aliens get the money and education that was lawfully meant to be yours. It could even end up that no one believes you to be who you say yourself to be. Illegal immigrants have been using my ID to illegally live in the UK. That is how I got to be knowing about this. There is so much confusion now that I have had to be spending time at the Police Station being finger printed and DNA mapped and photographed. Here in the UK and EU originally it were the Pakistani doing these things and I get the feeling that now things are shifting towards Polish flooding in using the same method. It revolves around the trafficking of drugs and the illegal money that they live on. So despite that fact that it is now Polish making these ID thefts still the Pakistani opium growers in Afghanistan are behind it all. For the USA it is the Mexicans [no matter how young] who are the drugs entering. They live on the money that they make supplying illegal drugs that they grow in Mexico. I think that California are the weak link. Los Angeles is the crossing point. California have a serious drugs addiction problem.

[edit on 17/5/2010 by CAELENIUM]

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by mothershipzeta

Why do you think I'm talking about Mexicans who were absorbed into the US over a hundred years ago? One would think that families that had been here that long would at least learn the language.

I don't have a problem with people having ethnic pride. All groups have it to some extent. (Whites are constantly attacked for this, but that's a whole other topic.) There's nothing wrong with flying a flag now and then, but no one wants to address the fact that in the end, you're supposed to be an AMERICAN. Look through some of the posts on the site and you will see numerous instances of people flying the Mexican flag OVER the American flag. Isn't that esssentially a declaration of war? There's lots of Irish people hear, yet I haven't seen one Gaelic TV/Radio station, product label, etc.

If people come here LEGALLY, from WHEREVER, they should have an opportunity. Our country doesn't need millions of unskilled/uneducated workers coming here draining our resources, assisted by their government (Mexico provides DVDs showing how to cross the border) in committing a crime. And yes, it's a crime. "Undocumented worker" is just a PC buzzword they use to distract you from the real and earned term of Illegal Alien.

And as far as the Confederate flag, that is flown by people to display their pride in their history.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

Is it even possible, as a minority, to not get financial aid ... unless you're parents make a ton of money, I'd imagine even still there's some grant for (insert race/ethnicity) so that the college can boast a more "diverse" crowd.

As a "minority" with experience in regards to your question, I can say YES, it is possible to not receive much financial aide. My wife was denied aide though she had great grades prior to college. We were dating in HS and when I went to the navy, she stayed and attended ga tech. During my time in the navy, she and I literally paid her way through college. Everything I made sans $200 plus or minus, monthly went to her education.

Part of her initial denial for grants was because she chose not to go to a "historically black college" and she chose not to attend because they didn't have civil engineering. The other part was that she was told her parents made too much to be considered, which baffled me, cause her dad is the breadwinner. And a mechanic, not like he owned a dealership!! But, we got thru it and she got what she wanted.

Its possible.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by mothershipzeta

There's your problem. You assume that the people hanging the flags and speaking the language are here illegally. THAT is why people would call you a hater or a racist.

Which one of those states do you live in? I am just curious.

Because I lived in New Mexico for 15 years, and I know quite a few Hispanic families that have been in New Mexico for over 100 years or more. I have to tell you, I dont know ANY Hispanics who are American, really and truly American and have been in this country for a few generations or better, who want the border with Mexico to be porous. And I have never once seen the Mexican flag just randomly flying around. Maybe for some Holiday or event, but not just waving around in the breeze. Americans just dont tend to fly the flags of other countries, and yes, you can call us a little flag obsessed.

And if you think about it, the reason there isnt an uproar about the flying of European flags in America is............................because it just isnt done. Even in families like mine, who are proud of their Scots/Irish heritage. We may have the clan badge, and maybe some tartan hanging around, but we dont own or fly a Scots or Irish flag.

And if you think that some of what we have been saying here is racist, you should hear all the nice names the New Mexican Hispanics have for illegals. You just arent going to sell me on the idea that legal Hispanic Americans are in favor of allowing illegal Mexicans to flood over our border with no controls. I just dont buy it at all.

And the real racists are those who think we should do NOTHING about the flood from Mexico that prevents us from allowing more legal immigration for other countries that dont have a convenient porous border with the US. What about all the other people of other ethnicities and nationalities that would like to immigrate? Or dont they count for some reason?

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join