It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

To Save Wife's Life, Man Opts to Sacrifice Her Limbs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 12:01 AM
link   

To Save Wife's Life, Man Opts to Sacrifice Her Limbs

www.aolnews.com...

(May 14) -- After his wife was seized by a rapidly advancing infection shortly after giving birth, a Texas man agreed to have her limbs amputated in a last-ditch effort to save her life.

(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 16-5-2010 by -Blackout-]

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 12:01 AM
link   
I think i'd do the same exact thing with my wife if it were life or death for her. Some people will do anything to save their loved ones and rightfully so.

Some people take the other route and just would rather pull the plug instead of seeing them suffer long term etc. I dunno if I could, personally.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 12:39 AM
link   
I guess it really depends on what your loved one would have wanted. If you know them well enuogh, which you should if s/he is your spouse, then you will know whether it is best to watch them suffer long term or just quickly end it. Some people would rather die then lose just one limb, especially if their life revolved around a career, hobby or activity that depends on that limb.

--airspoon

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 12:55 AM
link   
It looks like the woman was glad to be alive, even with no limbs. If it were me, I think I'd rather chose the other route. As a matter of fact, because of this, I'm going to let my hubby know in case anything like this were to happen to me.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 01:01 AM
link   
This is a really perfect example of why its REALLY important to have an advanced directive/living will. This legally tells doctors what to do incase of significant injury. Who knows if this is what she REALLY wanted?

I personally would of wanted to die rather than not be able to touch, hold, and care after my new born baby. That is a lifetime of suffering that woman will endure.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 01:18 AM
link   
In my opinion this contains some hype doesn't it?

I mean - you're telling me those doctors wouldn't have taken this woman's arms to save her life - had her husband said no?

I think they would have, in fact, I think they would have gotten a judge to agree with them.

The way it stands now, the poor woman will (conveniently for the hospital) blame, or praise, her husband for the rest of her life and not her physicians.

And like has been stated before - but let me add - even if you're feeling great, young, no health problems, not pregnant, etc and on and on - MAKE A LIVING WILL! TODAY!

peace

Sorry, I have to add doom and gloom here.
That poor baby.
When it grows up and realizes it's mom is armless believe you me, the baby as a young adult will live with piles of blame. No matter how loving and mentally stable they all are - when that kid hits puberty - WHAM! GUILT!

peace all over again.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 01:50 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

I'm not sure they would have gone through with it. Apparently they deemed she had a 5% chance of survival. What's more, by taking this decision, they condemned her to an expensive, medicalized life. We've all heard of some extreme doctors trying to save people 's lives at the cost of their dignity or comfort, but they're not all like that, thankfully.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 02:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Breizhoo

I'm not sure they would have gone through with it.

I'm sure if they had not they'd of been facing the possibility of HUGE money loss in court case. The husband (with a savvy wrongful death/injury lawyer) could have sued them for gazillions.

But all in all I so hope she is doing well, as is the husband and little one. God be with them all. I hope life smiles on them in a big way from now on. Like as in winning the megabucks. I know money isn't all that but it sure helps.

peace

new topics

top topics

join