It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists forecast decades of ash clouds

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 02:44 AM
link   
reply to post by tgidkp

Oh yes. I do indeed "got it". Your posts are off topic and dont belong in this thread. This thread is not about the intricacies of english and how it its used. If you want to whine about the format of this forum you should do so in the complaints section instead of hijacking this thread.

[edit on 16-5-2010 by rothmans]

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 03:02 AM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

The next civilisation will be the survivors of this one which means same old story over and over again .Mad Max 2 for a while, wont that be cool?I'm getting my 351 interceptor and tins of dog food ready.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 03:16 AM
link   
reply to post by 12voltz

Yes, you and I should invent bachelor chow in 50Lb bags for people to stock up on before the end comes, and get rich.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 03:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aeons
You want to nuke a volcano.

You want to nuke a volcano.

I want to say something snide - but I just can't past "you want to nuke a volcano."

Don't worry about it,I am not seriously considering that option even though it would make a pretty cool sight.We should only use nukes for killing people or rogue asteroids.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 03:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by silo13
reply to post by rothmans

Well, that should put a damper on the WNO man made global warming, global cooling, climate change, twits for a while. I guess they will soon come up with a new BS scare tactic to keep us on the run for the next while. The more they stir in it the more it stinks.

*High Five* - Exactly!

What will they think of next?

Probably time for that stages alien invasion (to control and regulate the people) - and I'm only half kidding on that.

peace

Honestly, the whole 'alien invasion' will be coming sooner than later I think. There has been enough ET info (false & true) being spewed into the media lately I'm starting to wonder what they're plan is here... and it's going to come to light very soon.

And yes this is definitely going to effect a lot of things, but scientists like to say a lot of stuff especially before really knowing the precise details. Right now I wouldn't believe anything be said, let's wait it out a bit longer to see what really happens.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 03:28 AM
link   
Nuclear winter as a solution to our current troubles?

interesting times indeed. I recall a bible verse "pray not that your flight is in winter" ... europe is likely to have it bad then, cold etc. Volcano's drop hemispheric temperature sharply.

As to southeast asia, at least they're on their own island, right?

Take anyone who says "these people should die, because ... ", put em on an island, with lotsa guns. And leave them to make new and interesting friends.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 03:32 AM
link   
On topic, as ar as I am concerned the good part is that we in the British Isles will have to invest in our infrastructure, ships, trains, etc... and it's about time since everything seems to have been left to rot by the establishment.

I live in a Cross Channel ferry port and we have gone from 5 ferries and 1 hydrofoil to 1 smelly old ferry in the last 5 years.. rather devastated the place.. So a bit of reinvestment would be great.

Would be nice to see the Cross Channel hovercrafts back in action...
and some cash thrown at developing some cleaner ones..

Plus would be great to see a shift to airships
with today's tech we should be able to make some wonderful ones..

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 03:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by rothmans
reply to post by 12voltz

Yes, you and I should invent bachelor chow in 50Lb bags for people to stock up on before the end comes, and get rich.

Mmm looks tasty.My dog will love it too.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 03:40 AM
link   
reply to post by thoughtsfull

Airships are pretty solution, but the dangers of docking them in medium to high winds completely rules out their viability.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 03:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by rothmans

Airships are pretty solution, but the dangers of docking them in medium to high winds completely rules out their viability.

From what I understand not from the net, but from my in-laws, who still have the plans from ones they where building in the 1960s they had overcome most of the issues to create all weather airships (jets put an end to those plans)

Tho I don't know the exact details of how they overcame the issues.. *shrugs* still would be nice..

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 04:07 AM
link   

It certainly would be nice, but imagine them trying to debark passengers in winds gusting to 40MPH and shifting by 40 degrees. There is no way they could hold the ship still.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 04:30 AM
link   

May not be an insurmountable problem. Some naval helicopters have a system called a deck lock. You have receptacles on the helideck and a probe on the helicopter underside much like a harpoon. Maneuver over the pad and deploy deck lock when aligned to secure the landing. Stops the helicopter sliding off the deck in high sea states.

A variant of this together with digital autopilot could work

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 04:53 AM
link   
Was just watching sky news they had an expert on who said the volcano could well keep erupting for the next 20 years
and that they will never be able to build a jet engine strong enough to cope with the ash even if they diamond tipped the blades. Once an engine has any ash damage it has to be thrown on the scrap heap so no airline will take the chance. He went on to say that the best we could hope for is better ash location and density prediction and that was way off in the future. The problem is he also said that the UK is very close in global terms to Iceland and with our many major airports are in the firing line far more than the rest of Europe. On top of all this BA are probably going on strike for up to a month
Bye Bye UK air industry and everything associated with it if he is right.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 05:21 AM
link   
Its not even new, we knew this since day 1 of the eruptions.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 06:23 AM
link   
reply to post by tarifa37

i am a brit, and i find the whole thing with the ash cloud absolutly ironic. Humans really have believed for such a long time that they are masters of the universe, this is just another example of mother nature showing us who the boss is. (dear god,if your planning another eruption could it be when some of our really annoying z list celebritys are on the other side of the atlantic, so we can have some respite from the the t**ts for a few weeks, until they come back and sell their stories to the tabloids, 'my cruise ship hell, and why im just an ordinary person just like you.'

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 06:41 AM
link   

A docking mast at both ends? the rear one on rails to move up to the rear of the airship once the front is secure? then the rear mast clamped to the rails?

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Theres what looks like a good programme on sky channel 520, (discovery) this evening at 10, they have cameras on Eyja and katla. The preview looks awesome.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Docking mechanisms might do it, but the ship's frame would have to be reinforced to take the strain, that adds weight to the ship, so the ship has to be made larger in order to fly, larger ship means even more reinforcement making the ship too heavy again. A viscous circle.

As for the airliners, at the speeds they fly the ash is like sandblasting the plane, it wrecks the engines in no time, even the cockpit windows get all pitted.

[edit on 16-5-2010 by rothmans]

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join